2001 Ford Focus wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 282003

Focus 4-cyl

Firestone firehwak gta 02 tires that came with Ford Focus. After reading reviews on this tire, I feel I'm not alone, I would like Ford to replace all my tires with new tires, hell I just got 2 new front tires and if I read reviews before hand I would have chose a different company, wow. Please is there anything Ford can do to replace these tires, they have no traction at all it seems. I slide off the road last month going 2- mph with 100 feet braking distance and into some construction on a slightly wet road, I know I'm a careful driver, and all these bad reviews god.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 032003

Focus

The vehicles brakes squeaked frequently. The dealer stated that the front pads needed to be replaced at 37000 miles. The consumer stated it is to early to change pads. Both tires also need to be replaced.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jul 022003

Focus

Consumer noticed that there are two bubbles on the front two tires. Consumer is starting to notice that when the vehicle hits a pothole a bubble forms.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 142002

Focus 4-cyl

The car starting having problems at 7000 miles. Front end jumping. I had a tire go bad and replaced it. Had the tire rotated and the front end lined up. Then, the noise and the car still did not feel right. I took it back to Ford and the rim is bent. Replaced that. So far I am out $250 for the tire and $298 for the rim/. the problem continued, but by 15000 miles the car was jumping, front end problems. Had the tires rotated and the car lined up again. I have the problems still. ( I was told(way I drive, curves, the way I take the corners, ) well, # one I am 43 yrs old and this is not my first car. I have had mustangs before and never rotated the tires or changed my driving habits. ( what ever). At 15000 the brakes started to squeak all the time (wet, cold, moisture, dry). Per the manual this will happened. I was told that it is common with Focus. I had a escort for over 4 yrs and they never did what this car has. With the front and back the recall 02S42/01B85 was done finally in March. This recall stated pinch bolt that retains the steering knuckle to the lower ball joint on your vehicle may not have the proper torque. ****** ( this condition exists, your vehicle may experience vibration or noise... this could eventually lead to ball joint separation with a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash, ) this is what I was told Ford dealership was wrong with the car since August. I feel that the recall came to late and now my tires are destroyed. One tire is worst than the others. Remember that one tire is brand new ( 7000 less miles).... the brake pedal is still making a noise when I release it at the park mode or stop turn around stop at light or whenever. They have adjusted it 3-4 times. And with in mins. Of them adjusting it, it is back to the same thing. This is a on going problem, wasted time and troubles. I do not want everybody to notice when I have my daughter in the car or I get hurt in an accident. This is important your reply help debra.w.

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Apr 252003

Focus

All four tires lost air. The consumer had to constantly put air in the tires, which also caused premature wear.

- East Taunton, MA, USA

Apr 092003

Focus

The driver side front tire had blown out. The passenger side tire was found worn on the inside along with an exposed wire. (these two tires were not of the same manufacturer) other problem were as followed: The button on the cassette player had broken, the adjuster button for the side view mirror on the passenger side had popped off, while driving the over drive light flashed and the vehicle jumped in/out of over drive (transmission problem-per mechanic), the battery light came on, there were no fuses in the wires under the passenger seat, trunk lock popped off, A/C button light on the dash came on when the heat was on, the brakes squealed(since purchase), there was a blind spot on the passenger side mirror, and when the headlights were on, the driver was unable to see other vehicle's due to the seats being too high. Mr scc

- Uknown, DC, USA

Mar 202003

Focus 4-cyl

Rear tires bald at 20,000. I have replaced 4 tires and need to replace 2 more. I have 42,000 miles on my car. I have rotated the tires all along, but they always end up wearing quick in the rear. For example one set of tires had great tread when they were rotated to the back with about 15,000, then at 20,000 they were bald!!! (like something in the rear chewed them up) car jumps side to side when hitting minor bumps in road and on highway, it feels like car doesn't have good control because of this. Dealership and Ford rep. Say tires are not covered under warranty of course and claim not to find any other problems. They blame it on the driver style. Funny this has never ever happened to me before, including my first Focus lemon I had for 25,000 miles (they replaced my first Focus for us for fuel problems they couldn't fix) I kick myself for agreeing to exchange for a new Focus. Nevertheless, it really seems like an engineering/design flaw or something else in the rear of the vehicle that is making these tires wear so fast.

- Park Hills, MO, USA

Mar 182003

Focus

The engine missed usually mildly, but sometimes violently as to shake vehicle and sometimes stall, also the vehicle experienced a raw gas smell, suspension, brake, transmission and tire problems.. consumer also noted the rear hatch popped open by itself.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Jan 012001

Focus

The driver side rear tire are warped and tread separation please fill in additional information on the tire. Dealer is aware of the problem.

- Champagne, IL, USA

Nov 082001

Focus

While driving vehicle would bounce to side when hitting a bump in the road, took to dealer, the dealer alligned vehicle, tightened up stablizer link. Consumer states' tires were replaced 20000, mechanic states all tires were couped.

- Rodchester, NY, USA

Oct 232002

Focus

The right rear tire has a bubble on the sidewall. Firestone does not have available size to replace it and sent me home with it that way, which I thought rather careless. Furthermore, I have replace 2 tires, and nassar Ford replaced one tire. In the short amount of time I have owned the car, I have had 5 flats. Needless to say I have no confidence driving and Firestone has offered no viable solution.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Nov 052002

Focus

Consumer states: Every 11 thousands miles has to change the rear tires. At this moment has changed twice. Dealer has been notified.

- Gowanda, NY, USA

Jun 012002

Focus

At about 14,000 miles I noticed the left rear tire was cupping and making noise. Ford charged to revise alignment and then recommended four new Goodyear tires.

- Irving, IL, USA

Sep 092002

Focus

Vehicle was taking to dealer for a recall repairs on wheel bearings. Upon receiving vehicle back theres was a noise in the rear. Took vehicle back to dealer and they stated that tires were cupping and wearing irregularly.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 062002

Focus

Key will not turn in ignition. Took vehicle to dealer, and they replaced locking mechanism in steering column. The fuel mileage was not consistent with what was stated, the fuel pump was replace along eith the filter, egr valve and radio, two front tires were replaced at 10,700.

- Legue City, TX, USA

Aug 252002

Focus

From the summer of 2001 through Dec. 11, 2001, my rear tires on my 2001 Ford Focus starting wearing oddly across and around the tire showing high and low spot tread wear plus cupping that went undetected until 12/01. During 12/01, big "O" tire company did an alignment check and tire rotation, but didn't notice the tire problem. I left on a short trip afterwards. The rear tires that had been moved forward, chattered loudly, especially, the left side but didn't before rotation. The inspection showed the left front tire that had been rotated from the rear had serious tread wear damage, cupping, and flat spots, some high and low. The left front that had been rotated to the rear was also damaged beyond repair. The tire co. Felt they had missed something during alignment and rotation, so they paid for one of my Firestone tires and I paid for the other to be replaced with new fulda tires. Firestone would not have given much credit do to odd wearing patterns. Also, the right tires had the same problem but not nearly as bad. I contacted the Ford dealership about the problem and they said contact the tire manufacturer, there is nothing wrong with the car. Yet, nothing is wrong with my Focus but on 12/11/01 they replaced my rear wheel axle bearings due to a recall. Ford checked the alignment and said the tires (Firestone) must be defective and I believed that. Immediately after the wheel bearings were replaced the rear tires were too. The new tires made the vehicle more stable and easier to control. The Firestone tires replaced were badly worn and I thought they caused the car to shimmy from side to side during rain or snow as it was hard to control and making me afraid to drive. In 3/02, the last two firestones were replaced with the fulda tires. I thought the tire problem was solved. As of August 2002, the new rear fuldas' are doing the same thing. Now I know there is a rear suspension defect with the Focus and not tires. After many calls, Ford still says no defect found

- Camby, IN, USA

May 152002

Focus

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Portsmouth, RI, USA

Jul 302002

Focus

The rear tire does not hold air.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Jul 102002

Focus

Consumer states that all tires were replaced at a low mileage due to wearing out quickly, no tire information given.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 012002

Focus

Consumer has taken vehicle in for repairs to tires on numerous occasions for repair due to nails. There also appeared to be belt damage and a bulge on the outer side of tire wall (left front). (Firestone P205/50R16 firehawk gta tires)

- Macomb, MI, USA