2001 Ford Focus wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 092013

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus equipped Goodyear Eagle authority tires (size 225-50-16). The contact stated that while traveling 70 mph, there was a burning rubber smell as and the vehicle veered to the left and crashed into several barriers. The contact sustained minor injuries. Upon inspection, it was determined that the passenger's side rear tire tread had separated from the actual tire. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileages were not available. The tire was not replaced.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Dec 282008

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. While merging off the highway at 10 mph, the contact heard a loud noise and noticed the rear driver's side tire rolling back onto the highway. She recovered the tire and noticed that the bolts, lugs, nuts, and wheel bearing were still attached to the tire. A report was filed with the manufacturer and they stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 01I017000 (wheels lugs, nuts, bolts); however, the dealer could provide a warranty for the repair. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 100,000.

- Park Forest , IL, USA

Aug 222008

I will start with the fact the car is on it's fourth battery. It has had the wiring harness replaced along with every sensor in the car some twice. There was a steering column recall done on it. The two back windows tracks have been broke a total of six times. The door handles brake three so far. The stereo is broke for the second time. I have had to do the brakes twice so far and all this and the car only has 63,498.8 miles.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Dec 122007

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to shake then the driver side rear tire detached from the vehicle. As a result, the tire crashed into the windshield of another vehicle. The mechanic replaced the tire however; he was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The VIN, engine size number of cylinders and tire information were unavailable. The current and failure mileages were 101,000. Updated 01/29/08 updated 01/29/08

- Lincoln Park , MI, USA

Jul 122005

Focus 4-cyl

My 2001 ZX3 Focus would eat tires.. got it used but with only 30,000 miles put new Firestone tires on and had it rotated every 3000 miles to keep it from shaking.. did that 4 times and sold the P.O.S. the people at Firestone told me it was bad engineering on Ford part. Brakes would make nose that the dealer had no clue what it was... now I date someone I with a 2002 Ford Focus. At 30,000 new brakes and rotors. New PCM. And the list is still adding up. If the Focus isn't a lemon... then there is no point of the lemon law. Time to change it and make it harder to sell cars that are made so cheap!!!

- Appleton, WI, USA

Nov 272006

Focus 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 55 mph on normal road conditions, there was a vibration coming from the rear side of the vehicle. It was taken to an independent shop, who determined that new tires should be installed. The tire manufacturer recommended the pressure was 44 psi. 20,000 miles later, the problem recurred and the tires were cupped and the belt broke. The tire pressure was regularly checked were rotated regularly. After the second incident, the vehicle was taken to the service dealer who admitted that Ford had an ongoing problem. The manufacturer was notified, who also admitted to the contact that there was a problem but would not offer to correct the issue. Make tire: Dayton/model: Unknown/size: F15/manufactured: Dayton.

- International Falls, MN, USA

Dec 182001

Focus 4-cyl

2001 Ford Focus experiencing problems with the front brakes, fuel pump, battery, sway bars and tires. The consumer replaced the front brakes five times, the radiator went out, the thermostat and sensors pertaining to the engine light ad gone out, the fuel pump and the battery went out and the mechanic could not find the problem. Currently the starter showed signs of going out and the vehicle needed sway bars and 4 tires.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Nov 252001

Focus 4-cyl

Brakes failed twice since 2001. Brakes were replaced in 2001 and 2002. Kept repairing the vehicle. The water pump/battery, and tires malfunctioned. On June 11 2005 while driving the car stopped. The car made a popping sound and started smoking. There was a warning, the battery light was on. The engine lights came on right before. Car didnt start back up after several attempts. Car was towed to home. Dealer reported no problem with the vehicle. Car was regularly serviced.

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Apr 092004

Focus 6-cyl

While driving 75 mph vehicle vibrated uncontrollably. Consumer was able to maintain control of the vehicle, and drove it to the dealer for inspection. Mechanic determined that brakes and tires needed to be replaced, and replaced them. However, the problem recurred.

- Ten Mile, TN, USA

Dec 092004

Focus 4-cyl

I have had more repairs incidences with 2001 Ford Focus than is normal on any car. If most of the repairs had been in the first 18 months I could have easily declared a lemon. Unfortunatley they have been since that time. Most recently I have had the rear wheel bearings replaced for the second time on a 3 year old car and am in the process of having the steering column replaced for the second time. I went through over 3 full sets of tire in less than a year and a half. And less than a year ago I got pulled over by the police because I had absolutely no lights in the back of my vehicle. Ford dealer charged me to replace the rear light housing and some wire that had shorted out.

- Laura, OH, USA

Feb 222003

Nar 05/23/2003 faulty Firestone tires on 20,000 mile vehicle.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 142003

Focus 4-cyl

(1) driving along I-80 in Illinois between the Iowa border and peru, Illinois. (2) rear passenger side tire blew out. It was completely shredded. (3) the tire (Firestone firehawk) was replaced.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 152001

My security system basically went even sounded funny when the horn sounded, the cruise would also stick or not work at all when it should have been turned on. I have had the hego sensor or the front oxygen sensor replaced 3 times, one at my own cost...I had a huge bulge pop out on my tire early on, Firestone replaced it at no cost...the brakes have intermittantly squealed since the vehicle had few miles on it, when I took it in to get it fixed, it basically felt like they had loosened them because you had to press on the pedal harder to stop, soon after they started squealing again, all Ford will tell me is that I need new brake pads at my cost because it is road hazard...should a car with 40,000 miles need brake pads? I think not. The last complaint that I have is that the car will stall with no apparent reason matter what the speed is or if I have just started it or have driven it all day it does not matter, I will just be stuck until it decides to start again.

- Cherokee, KS, USA

Feb 152003

I have had several repairs for this car. In regards to steering, wheel, tire as well the suspension. As the car was under 18000 mile I had so much problem with mentioned above problems. I could not control my car when it rained or when ever the road was not in perfect shape.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Dec 152002

There is just to much paperwork to copy out, but would like to mail copies. I am going to pick up car this afternoon just had second fuel pump fitted and new gas tank. To date no recall info received by post. However I have been drenched with gas on more than one occassion while filling car. I have nearly been killed when car cut out at 55mph on highway narrowly missed by two other motorists. Vehicle has 38,000 miles & has had the following repairs. 1/countless engine sensors 2/four new tyres 3/new front brake pads 4/new front brake rotas 5/new front wheel bearings 6/two fuel pumps 7/one fuel tank 8/waiting for third set of a frame plastic covers 9/three stereo players 10/tracklink reset three times 11/still have realy noisy brakes 12/engine sounds like 10 year old car 13/rear passenger window works when feels like it 14/right hand door speaker sounds as if broken 15/new tires fitted showing signs of odd wear 16/tail gate leakes water 17/ thought Lincoln/Mercury dealer might give better results no just longer wait.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Dec 152002

The reason some of these are not dated is because the problems keep on persisting they say they can not find out what the problem is. My car dies on me and the can not find the cause. It makes a winding sound when I take off and still they can not find the cause. My gears always wind and as soon as I get it out of the shop about one to two weeks later it is doing it again, when I am driving it jerks like it wants to die or go out of gear(keep in mind I have had these problems a couple of months after I bought it). I have had to replace the tires two times I am on my third set of tires and they are messed up now. I am not a bad driver I know it is not me I have a child that is constantly with me I do not drive crazy to make all of these problems happen. I have had the brake replaced once already and now they are sqeeking again. My car cigarette lighter keeps on burning out. I just get so frustrated that I am spending all of this money for them to work on my car with the warranty and then tell me they don't know what the problem is and now the warranty is out I have to pay for this peice of junk. I have had 2 other cars and they never gave me any problems and know I am stuck unhappy everyday with this car I can not stand to drive, I feel unsafe in it everyday.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Jul 152003

The tire and the brakes went out and the car stated sliding. After the crash there were bolts that were found on the grass where the crash happened

- Darrow, LA, USA

Jan 152002

Hydroplaines at certain speeds even with new tires and alignment! (originally submitted December 17, 2002)

- Macon, GA, USA

Feb 282004

On Feb 28, 2004, driving on I-10 from Louisiana to houston, first heard a pop noise, then immediately felt loosing control of wheel, tried to hit breaks to slow down the car, and then my 3 years old Ford Focus flipped over, and thanks god nobody got injured, and everyone was wearing a seat belt. Checked the car, the tread on the right rear tire(good year) looked ripped off, assume this tire blew or exploded during the drive on highway, which is very serious situation. Insurance is still investigating the case. But more ridiculously the la police gave a ticket for 'can't maintain the car". we got 4 new tires for only about 2 months, everything is in good maintenance, and there was no driving fault or other accident associated with my accident, plus we were the victims of this tire explosion, we almost lost of life during the deadly flip over. The insurance is doing the investigating about tires, we don't have much to complain, but it may take a while to deal with Goodyear then. Now for this 170$ ticket, 5 hours drive from my home in Mississippi, what we should do to deal with the la police" I feel like they should ticket Goodyear instead of innocent victims like us, but 5 hours driving to court is really annoying especially we are still driving a rent car during this moment. Is there anywhere we can discuss this police manner except 5 hours driving to la court" frustrated car owner lingyun jin sun.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Dec 052003

Focus 4-cyl

Rear and front tires showed signs of excessive wear. The tires were rotated, but the excessive wear still persisted. Dealer and the tire manufacturer were notified. Vehicle hydroplaned and almost caused a accident. Dealer replaced tires with second set of dunlop sport AZ tires.

- Jackson, MO, USA