CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC engine has a defect where the intake valve seat fails. The valve then falls into the cylinder, destroying the engine & most owner relationships with Ford in the process.

6.5

2. you are screwed by the dealers (2 reports)
  3. replace trunk release switch (1 reports)
  4. requested new latch (1 reports)
2002 Ford Focus body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jan 012012

Focus SE 2.0L, Sohc, Vin P

Can't open the trunk with the dashboard trunk release button and have to use the key instead.

- , Binghamton, NY, USA

Mar 122014

Focus SE 2.1L

I had to disable the electrical portion of the trunk so now I have to use it via "lock and key", don't have the money to fix so just annoying

- , Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jul 082008

Focus LX

I pretty much have to shut my trunk about 10 times before i can get it to stay closed... i have tried slamming it.. i have tried letting it down easily and closing it normally.. its like the luck of the draw no matter how i try to do it.. its pretty much just by chance if it will stay closed or not.. and then i press the button to open it and i have to press that damn thing about 10 times in order to get it to open..

- , Lawton, OK, USA

Jun 192008

Focus ZX5

I noticed this when i bought the car used 3 years ago but it didn't hit a nerve until i got stuck in the rain trying to slam my hatchback closed, slamming it so hard thinking i was going to break my back window. They replaced the latch under warranty. Seems to work fine now.

- , Land O Lakes, FL, USA

May 222006

Focus SE

We had only had this brand new car for about ten months when the latch on the trunk started Clicking whenever we pushed the trunk button on the remote or in the car itself. Since then we have to be right next to the trunk and pull the trunk lid and push the button at the same time to get it to release so that I can open the trunk. So far we haven't even looked into the problem because of all the other stuff thats wrong with the stupid car.

- , Peoria, IL, USA

Sep 062007

Focus ZX3

I am having the same problem with my trunk staying closed once I open it. It started out by me having to close it several times until it would stay, but one day the latch wouldn't close at all. I took the unit off (which means taking off the panel inside the trunk) and "worked it" with WD40 until it would close again. But I found that I still have the problem of it closing again if I use the button on the dash to open the trunk. I can open the trunk by the key and close it fine. The dash button is very convenient and a "feature" I liked about the Focus. But I also don't want to have to spend a couple hundred bucks to fix their stupid latch.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 152007

Focus SE 2.0 L

The latch will not stay closed consistently. Ford will not stand by it's product and this is a total pain in the ass as you can not have your trunk popping open on the interstate for safety reasons.

- , Iowa City, IA, USA

Sep 012006

Focus SE

Every time I try to open my trunk it clicks four times and then its a guessing game if its really unlatched!! Then when you open and go to shut it again more than half of the time it won't latch back up! You have the hit the button at least twice to get it to latch!! And because of this problem my car door light is on half of the time! When I took to the dealership I got it from (because this happened one week after I got it) they told me they could look at it for me for $100 and then tell me how much it would cost me to fix!! VERY VERY inconvenient!

- , West Jordan, UT, USA