CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC engine has a defect where the intake valve seat fails. The valve then falls into the cylinder, destroying the engine & most owner relationships with Ford in the process.

7.3

1. new antifreeze housing and tubing (2 reports)
2002 Ford Focus cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Nov 102010

Focus ZX3 2.0 Zetec

Cheap tubes can easily crack and leak antifreeze. In my case it caused the car to overheat because there was such a large hole. Big problem but easily fixed.

- , Westland, MI, USA

Feb 042010

Focus

My car was fine, I had an oil-change, and they checked all of my fluid levels, and the only thing it said was recommended Transmission service (I am waiting for that to break...), but today in traffic the heat thing went to red! It would cool down when I accelerated, but while idle it would get hot! I figured I could make it home because I was only about a mile away.. but I got to some traffic on a narrow road and it went into the red! I started crying!

It cooled off when I started to drive so I made it home, and when I looked the coolant was EMPTY. It wasn't last week.. but now it is.. so they told me this housing thingy is my problem.

This car has caused me to much emotional stress.. BOO

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Oct 092006

Focus ZX3

I bought a pre-owned 2002 ZX3 last October, and it ran fine until around December. One day while parking the car at work, I noticed a burning smell and some smoke coming out of the front vents. I pop the hood open and see antifreeze leaking all over the place. An ex-mechanic at work offered to help out. When antifreeze was poured into the car, it all came right out in a huge puddle. I rushed to a mechanic (driving with my temp gauge in red) and had to have the antifreeze housing and tubing replaced for about $230. The mechanic said it was a common problem and that he would replace it with a unit that had thicker plastic. No problems were reported since then.

- , King Of Prussia, PA, USA