Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC engine has a defect where the intake valve seat fails. The valve then falls into the cylinder, destroying the engine & most owner relationships with Ford in the process.

2. had clifford removed (1 reports)
2002 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 082013

Focus ZX5 4 cyl

My sons 2002 ZX-5 ( ford focus) will not EVEN try to start sometimes. Everything power wise comes on but when you try to start the engine, it won't even turn over. any help?????

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Dec 122012

Focus SE

There are times when I go to start my car either when I get up in the morning or late at night on my way home from school, I go to start the car and it won't start. Lights will come on, but the car won't even turn over.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Apr 222012

Focus ZX5

Randomly, the car will not start. I can wake up in the morning, drive to store and be inside for 45 minutes and when I come out the car sometimes will not start. I turn the key and all lights and everything work fine but there is NO sound of it even TRYING to start- no clicking, no engine trying to turn over, NOTHING. Sometimes, if I keep turning the key over and over I can get it to start- sometimes this only takes 2 or 3 turns, other times I try for 30 minutes and can't get it to work. I have had the starter replaced and three weeks later, it started to happen again. This time, I had the wiring harness replaced because there was a short in it and it's been about a month and it's doing it again!! I had it towed to the shop and of course, once it gets there, the stupid thing starts just fine. The shop has had their electrical guy come in and they can find NOTHING wrong w/ the car. I am so incredibly frustrated.

- , Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Feb 112012

This 2002 Ford Focus won't start in cold weather. It was 18 degrees this morning and we keep the car outside because we don't have a garage. We go to turn the key to ON position it and it appears that the battery has PLENTY of juice. The lights turn on the radio turns on and then when we go to start the engine the car make a fast clicking noise and nothing happens. This has happens only on really cold days under 25 degrees F, but is extremely frustrating when you want to drive to work. I have found many other similar complaints about cold weather, but no solutions. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

- , Lampe, MO, USA

Feb 012010

Focus 16v Zetec 1.6L

my focus wont start when i try to start i get nuffing not even the starter motor tries and the millage clock on the dash shows lines instead of numbers i had the Clifford alarm removed thinking that was the problem but its not it happens every day what is the problem

Update from Mar 11, 2010: .

- , Manchester, Swinton, England

Jun 132007

Focus LX 3.2L

i had my car for about 3 months when it started having problems starting. about every 2 or 3 days just all of a sudden it would not start. i took it into the dealership where i bought it and they couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they had to keep it overnight to duplicate the problem. well four days later they still had my car and nobody was telling me anything, on top of that that dealership had stopped the month before giving out rental cars. if i needed one i had to pay out of pocket. well the next day i picked up my car and they didn't fix anything. long story short this car has been to a shop about 20 times and nobody can fix the problem. now its a year and a half old to me and still not starting every couple of days.

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Mar 162007

Focus ZTX

Tonight my daughter just turned off her car & when restarting the car. It would not start, everything worked besides the windows & starting of the car. We had to have towed. It was just tonight so I don't know what is wrong with it. We could not even get the car to go into anything besides park. The towing man showed us there was a safety button you could use to put car in neutral. From reading others messages - it seems like a lot of people have this problem with the Ford focus.

- , Cudahy, WI, USA

Feb 072007

Focus LX

Ford Focus, 70k, 2002. Won't start after sitting all night if temperature is under 25-30 degrees. Problem doesn't happen on warmer days and this did not happen during first four winters.

I must turn the key/pump gas at least 10 times, nothing but rrrrrrrrrr. Finally, it will start. Took to mechanic... got new fuel filter. No help. Took to dealer, paid for a rental. Dropped it off at night so they could duplicate the problem. They told me they had no trouble starting it, and that everything - including the battery- tested fine.

Next morning, no start at 15 degrees, but this time, the battery light is coming on. Finally got it to start after 15 tries.

- , Morrisville, PA, USA

Jan 172007

Focus LX 2.0 I4

This mainly happens during cold whether, but the engine has trouble starting. I have to turn the key several times from the off position to the on position to get the vehicle to start. It's as if there isn't any fuel getting into the engine when I put the key into the on position. But once I get the car to start it runs fine. I'm going to try to replace the ignition electrical switch, but if this doesn't work then I'm totally at a loss for words. Any suggestions?

- , Apo, AE, USA