CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC engine has a defect where the intake valve seat fails. The valve then falls into the cylinder, destroying the engine & most owner relationships with Ford in the process.

5.6

2. had dpse sensor replaced (1 reports)
  3. replace ignition module (1 reports)
2002 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 312015

Focus SE Split Port Sohc

Car started missing, and the check engine light turned on. So I replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires and no solution. Then I checked for spark for all the spark plugs and the number 2 sparking plug did not have a spark. Then I replaced the ignition module and that fixed the problem. The check engine light then turned off by itself. However this is NOT the end of the story!

- , Pa, CA, USA

Nov 072007

Focus SE 2.0L

Check engine light comes on. Check code with code reader, o2 sensor bank 1.

went to auto parts store and replaced the o2 sensor suggested. Cleared Computer with code reader. Drive two miles and the same code comes on again. exchange it thinking sensor was bad. steps repeated and still the same.

Took it to dealer and they replaced it and the rear sensor as well. Two miles later same thing traded the car in after that 86000 miles

- , Rockvale, TN, USA

Sep 282007

Focus

Check engine light stayed on and had to take it to the dealer to fix

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Oct 022006

Focus SE

Engine light would come on and off for a few days, eventually it came on and stayed on. I took my car to a service station and they did a diagnostic. Unfortunately because Ford will not let other places buy their computer programs to decipher my car's computer, I had to take the car to Ford. Had the DPSE (Exhaust) sensor replaced and it runs fine... for now.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Sep 162006

Focus LX

I changed an alternator and the pvc hose and had computer checked for problems and everything was fine on my 2002 focus, but for some reason the check engine light keeps coming on. I took it to get checked and they said there is nothing wrong. The ford company says i must check it. Why? I feel the problem is in the work. The maker. Not the owner!!!!!!. Make them fix this or give us a new car that works. A four year old car should not have so many problems. Ford give us a car that we don't have to fix all the time we are working people and we can not work if our cars don't.

- , Fresno, CA, USA