7.8

2. pcv system (2 reports)
  3. have to replace the engine (1 reports)
  4. new sparplugs & cables (1 reports)
2002 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Feb 102013

Focus 4 cyl

2002 Ford Focus stalled at gas stations upon turning the ignition after gas fill-ups. After one or two tries the engine would eventually "catch" and I could drive off. I would have no car problems until my next gas-up, and then it would immediately stall again before I could drive out of the gas station. Another thing, this caused the ENGINE LIGHT to come on. After some poking around, my mechanic noticed that the spark plugs were PREMATURELY worn out. After installing new after-market spark plugs and cables, the car cranked up without stalling after my next fill-up, except that the engine idled weak before gaining strength. I took it back to my mechanic, who replaced the just installed spark plugs with new original part MOTORCRAFT spark plugs. That seems to have done the trick. The Focus now starts strong on the first try after every gas tank fill-up. Given the premature wear of the replaced spark plugs, which may be an inherent problem with Ford Focus, given the massive complaints on the Internet about this poorly-built car, my mechanic suspects the problem may return. The key to this fix is to always install original Motorcraft spark plugs, AND to also replace the four spark plugs cables with new ones as well. So, now it's a matter of waiting to see how long this "fix" lasts. (Oh, yes, even though the stalling ended and the car runs fine, the engine light still came back on. I ignored it and today my mechanic just shut it off with his computer.)

- , L.A., CA, USA

Jan 042013

Focus SE 4-Door 2.0L Spi Sohc

HELP!!! Engine stalls at idle while in gear. Finally a code was picked up on OBD scan. Can't remember off hand if it was 0740 or 0741. Solution was to check or replace Torque Converter Control solenoid. Ordered new solenoid for $46 from Ford. Installed new solenoid in TCC location, replaced transmission filter and fluid. Engine did not stall at idle while in gear but car felt like it was sputtering from idle if you let off brake but was fine once accelerator was pressed. Ran this way for 30 minutes of stop and go traffic then started stall at idle while in gear AGAIN! Check engine light came on for the first time after this. OBD scan gave 0740 TCC lockup solenoid open. Ordered another solenoid to replace Torque Converter Control 3-4 lockup. Replaced solenoid. On test drive car would still feel like it was sputtering from idle until i pressed accelerator after 10 minutes of stop and go driving car would not go into overdrive then suddenly it would go into overdrive. At next stop engine stalled while in gear. Started back up then accelerated when suddenly it shifted very hard on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift but did go into overdrive. At next stop car was about to stall then it felt like it went into neutral and did not stall. At take-off it briefly felt like it was about to slip but then accelerated just fine and all shifts were normal and overdrive would engage. At next stop it stalled while in gear!!! AM I GOING CRAZY? YES!!. Where do I go now? Is my torque converter bad? I checked all wiring harness and wires in transmission and they all look fine. Live in a rural area and is a real PITA to get to dealer to check it out.

PREVIOUSLY replaced fuel filter and tested fuel PSI which DID NOT FIX PROBLEM. Replaced PCV Valve, cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor, replaced air filter, replaced oil breather filter in airbox, cleaned throttle body, cleaned intake manifold, cleaned fuel injectors and intake valves, cleaned Idle Air Control Valve, cleaned EGR valve and tubes, checked all vacuum lines (were good), new gaskets for all parts listed above. Car runs a little smoother at idle. After driving for 15 minutes engine stalls at idle while in gear. DID NOT FIX PROBLEM! Still no codes on OBD scan.Tested battery no load - good, under load - good. Alternator charging good. Replaced spark plugs, replaced plug wires, checked all grounding points and wires. Also disabled DPFE sensor which had no effect on idle. Car ran good for one day then began stalling at idle while in gear when engine warms up. DID NOT FIX PROBLEM!

- , Billings, Montana, USA

Jan 022013

Focus SE 4-Door 2.0L Spi Sohc

Tested battery no load - good, under load - good. Alternator charging good. Replaced spark plugs, replaced plug wires, checked all grounding points and wires. Also disabled DPFE sensor which had no effect on idle. Car ran good for one day then began stalling at idle while in gear when engine warms up. DID NOT FIX PROBLEM! Still no codes on OBD scan.

- , Billings, Montana, USA

Oct 052011

Focus

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. Just paid it off...noticing some rough idling problems and then it stalled on me the other day while I was sitting at a light. I took it into the shop and asked for the fuel system to be cleaned and that's how they found the hole in the connector on the PCV system. The tube itself is fine but both ends that connect to...whatever...need to be replaced. Those two little parts are hard to track down, too. Ever since I had a temp. pipe put on, it idles pretty nicely. I think the overall repair is going to be around $60 to $100. Tracking down the problem was $60. So if your Ford idles rough and randomly stalls (also had 'engine too lean' lights sometimes), have someone check the PCV system.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Nov 102010

Focus

Well ever since about a year ago ive had nothing but one problem after another with my car i love my car but its just really a pain in the ass and now its stalling out but only when its sitting still idleing at red lights and stop signs its really embarrasing and when it stalls out it makes this awfull shacking noise and i have no idea whats wrong with it and nor does anyone else and i dont really have that much money to fix it could someone please help me if youve had the same car with the same problem and let me know what to do

- , Bombay, New York, USA

Jan 052011

Focus

The problem started slow, with my car running slightly rough. Then it got to a point where the car would begin running extremely rough. The engine would shake slightly and sputter, then attempt to stall out if I was idling. Like other people on here, it was fine if I was accelerating.

I took it to get scanned at an auto repair spot. It came up with the EGR Valve, Flow Excessive, and System too Lean.

So we replaced the EGR Valve and it ran the same codes and kept running rough. We went back. I tried running cleaner through the system with no luck. Then we replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Nothing. Went back, the EGR Valve and excessive flow were gone. System too lean remained.

Took it to the dealer. It was the PCV System. The valve had been broken down, and hence when the car was idling the area was partially collapsed and therefore not getting air into the engine. The mechanic said that this was due to a computer error on the Focus. He said it was common but that it was not a recall. Lovely.

I loved my focus til it hit about 100k, it seems to be trying to fall apart on me.

- , Bowling Green, Ohio, USA

Dec 092010

Focus SE

Every time i place my car in a stop at a light or stop sign it idles rough and even stalls. Or when i have it in park does the same thing. Wondering if another person has had this problem and im sure they've had. what they did and what it cost them for such things. Thanks!

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Dec 192010

Focus Wagon 2.0L Zteh

this was a great car.well taken care of.ran great,i shut off at the gas station and when i restarted the car it was idling bad and puffing white stinkey smoke out and idling terrible,with no power?i haven't had it looked at but by reading this page?whats the use?apparently a dropped valve and that means a junk motor?

- , Jefferson City, MO, USA

Sep 012009

Focus SE

I own a 2002 Ford Focus SE. I paid $4,500.00 for this piece of sh*t car. I have been experiencing rough idling, stalling, hard shifting of the gears. I took it to the garage and they tell me they don't know but when I run it on the computer (the check engine light was on) it came back as EGR valve which I replaced and still didnt work. Then the mechanic said it could be the IAC(idle air control valve) so I got it replaced and nothing still runs like a piece of sh*t. I also got the plugs and wires changed and nothing. So now I am at a loss of $500.00 and still doesn't run right. Now I have no idea what I am to do. I suggest never to buy a ford especially a ford focus because they will just soak you for your money and you will have so many problems. They are really not worth it.

- , Moorefield, WV, USA