9.5

$2,350.00

2. replace engine (2 reports)
2002 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 152011

Focus SE 2.0L

Had purchased this vehicle through a Ford Dealership. Bought it one year old and only had 16000 miles in it. Worked OK for a few years then suddenly it began to have shaking upon idle, was slow to accelerate and hard to start.

After taking the vehicle to a local mechanic, he mentioned that the cylinders were not firing as they should be. I had to replace the plugs and wires along with sensors galore.

One day I returned home only to find that the car would not fire. It had a clunking noise as well. I took it to another mechanic and he was curious enough to remove the cylinder head to find that one of the valves had sunken in to the cylinder space all the way through to the manifold causing the cylinder to break through and crack the engine block. This was so frustrating.

The mechanic mentioned that this type of engine was manufactured in another country and that the block was built here in the USA. The mismatching of the cylinder head and the engine block provided a leeway for the valve to easily sink through and produce such catastrophe.

I have tried to look for this engine but failed to find one that is the exact model as mine. Now my car sits behind my parent's house and I am thinking of selling it for parts. Word to the wise: On my next vehicle purchase, I will need to do some homework prior to buying it.

- , Brownsville, TX, USA

Nov 082011

Focus SE 4 cyl

This car is killing me to get fixed!! $3500.00 to fix a blown engine is ridiculous! I can't believe that Ford didn't recall these engines with as many customers that have a problem with them. Ford should honor the customers that have been loyal enough to purchase their cars! Believe me they will be losing a lot of repeat business because of this. Who wants to purchase another piece of crap that you can only get 100,000 miles out of it until you have to buy another car! In these hard times we don't have the funds to purchase another car! Ford you suck!!!!

- , Broadview, IL, USA

Nov 132010

Focus LS

My parents bought this car brand new and when we moved from the states to PR they decided to ship this vehicle. What a mistake! It is very annoying when you hardly use a car and the car doesn't perform the way it should. It seems like after the warranty is over everything on the car starts to go downhill. The engine makes rattling noises and shakes a lot. The car doesn't have a lot of power. One day we drove to the store and as soon as I turned off the engine I noticed that the car made a really loud noise in the engine, opened the hood and didn't see anything weird. I had a funny feeling in my stomach something was wrong. I started driving on the expressway to go back home. The car was driving like brand new, then all of a sudden the gauges on the car went crazy and I notice a decline in acceleration. I automatically proceeded to turn into the emergency lane and the car just turned off automatically. Tried to turn on the car, nothing happened. Well to make a long story short, the car had to be towed and I didn't have the car for more than 2 weeks. These cars have problems with their engines, they overheat really easy and they don't have enough power. No wonder my dad was against buying this car he always said that Ford does not make good cars, they are not reliable. I noticed here in Puerto Rico people drive Toyotas and they are very happy with them, so, I definitely know what car I will be buying next. I had a 95 Hyundai Accent when I lived in the states and people talked so badly about that car, but I do have to say I bought the car used and I had it for 5 yrs. Every winter, even though it was below 0 degrees, that car always started without any problems. It never left me stranded like this Ford Focus does.

- , Juncos, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico

Mar 112009

Focus LX

I financed a 2002 ford focus LX w/out a warranty and it broke down 30 days later. I put $2000 down and I pay $300 a month. The car was about $8500 before my down payment. I will be paying the car off until around 8/2010. I was picking my two kids up from school with my 2 year old in the back seat and the engine shook and cut off while in park and would not start back up...my heart dropped. I was in someone's driveway and had no phone. luckily it happened in front of their school where I could called someone who had to push my car onto the street. When the car broke down I called the dealership & told them what happened and they immediately asked me if my TIMING BELT BROKE and told me to have it towed to their mechanic. I took it to my mechanic instead. When the tow truck arrived the driver asked me to start my car and told me It sounds like my TIMING BELT BROKE or its something fuel related." WOW HOW IRONIC. Its clear that the dealership knew about this problem b4 they sold the car to me. They saw me as easy bait. Something seemed kinda fishy about that dealership. My car was towed to my mechanic who has not yet had a chance to look at it. It has been there since 3/11/09 and I am getting kinda impatient. I work in a different city from where I live. before I had a car It took SIX buses to get to work and It took eight buses when I had to drop my youngest off at his dad's. I HOPE I DO NOT HAVE TO GO BACK TO THAT. I hope that the car is having a different (and less expensive) problem than what has been brought to my attention. I called the dealership back and they told me since i bought the car "as is" there is nothing they could do but i could have it towed to their mechanic anyway. WHAT....I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR FROM YOU 30 DAYS AGO....I STILL HAVE MY TAGS IN THE WINDOW. I don't really know what my next steps are...YET.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA