8.7

2. replace ignition tumbler springs (1 reports)
2002 Ford Focus steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jan 032012

Focus ZX5 16v

From everything I've read Ford has been well aware of this issue and has done nothing to help Focus owners fixing the issue. The least Ford could do is fix the issue but maybe only charge labor costs instead of the $350 I was quoted from my Ford repair shop.

- , Hoyt, Kansas, USA

Dec 012011

Focus ES V6

my car is paid off and now it wants to fall apart. I work my ass off and go to get in my car to pick up my daughter from school and puff it want let me , we tried everything tugging wiggling , jerking , banging , then my mom called a locksmith still he tried everything we had already done , still not sure what is going to fix this problem the locksmith made new key still did not work, we are going to change out the lock cylinder hope this works ......I have no money to keep dealing with this.

- , IRVING, Texas, USA

Dec 292010

Focus LS 2.0L V4 Sohc

Found web site to help. I have a new born and it's cold outside. This is a very serious problem.

I have not solved the problem.

- , Saint Marys, GA, USA

Feb 152011

Focus

My ignition key will not turn. This is just a huge pain. I have a car, keep it in good condition and this happens. Apparently a lot of people have this same problem. What is wrong with ford for not repairing a problem with their cars! It makes you second guess America's quality and production!

- , Berwyn Heights, MD, USA

Jul 212010

Focus LX

I went to the store and got back into my car to leave and the key wouldn't turn. The ignition was locked up. I was stranded and had no way home. I think they need to do a recall on this problem. I was checking this out on the net and I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Something needs to be done about this. I think the Ford Motor Company should be the one to pay to have this fixed instead of me. They know the problem is there,they should fix it without cost..........

- , Clay City, KY, USA

Nov 122009

Focus 2.0L

Ford is using a PROX reader device as anti theft equipment for many of the Ford modes. If you try to replace it with after markrt equipment the engine will not start and the only solution is to take it to a ford dealer for reprogram, at approxmitely $400

My situation was the key would not turn to allow for extracrion of the cilinder, I used a small rubber malet and tapped the end of the inserted key for a long time and held pressure on the key at all times, this should eliminate any of the drilling that has been mentioned in some of the other articals. Once it turns to the on position, you will need to release the pin that secures the cyilnder in the colum just behind the outer stationary housing and I used an allen wrench.While tapping be sure not to strike the key very hard, this could crack the housing on the key and force you to pay a visit to Ford.

For the handy people , you can remove the retainer clip on the other end and insert your key and remove it from the outter cylinder. after you have it out, a small door located on the side can be removed to gain access to the tumblers. Be very careful not to allow the springs and tumblers to spill as the tumbler order matches your key cut.

I think you will find the springs deformed and down between the tumblers. Remove the springs one at a time and call some of the local car dealers and try for replacements, I had purchased a new unit from CarQuest and it was a six tumblar and my original was a seven, I used the new tumbler springs and and clened up the lock with contsct cleaner, and it worked great, I did spend $65 for the new swithh and only used the springs but (what are you going to do)

- , Jerseyville, IL, USA