CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC engine has a defect where the intake valve seat fails. The valve then falls into the cylinder, destroying the engine & most owner relationships with Ford in the process.

2002 Ford Focus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Focus:

2002 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 172003

Focus

Problems with 2002 Ford Focus steering and suspension.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Oct 152003

Focus

The mileage on my Focus was 47000 km and the cost was $5500. The date was July but I am at work and not sure of exactly what day. My Focus was making a clunking sound similar in nature to traction control kicking in. It was in to be serviced on a Friday and they said they could not repeat the sound. Also at that time it was having regular maintenance tire rotation and oil change. On the following Tuesday driving in the town I live in (luckily the speed limit is only 30 km/hr) I experienced the steering wheel pull to the right and I had hit a parked car. Had I been on the highway me and my 2 children would have been a fatality. The cost qouted to you of $5500 is not including the cost to fix the other vehicle. As well Ford Motor Co. Is taking no responsilbilty whatsoever and I need proof to get my insurance co to find fault to someone other than myself.

- Irricana, UN, USA

Oct 152003

Focus

The front driver's wheel bearing and hub went out at about 7,000. The car made a very loud noise. Ford repaired this problem. Car had to have brake pads at 28,000 miles. The wear on the driver's side front was much worst than the others. Repair person said that the calipers were defective. Cost 100. Dollars. The front passenger's side wheel bearing and hub went out at 29,000. I paid for repair of wheel $150. I was told that the driver's side was going out again. There is obviously a problem with the front suspension of this car. I am now faced with repairs of the other side for a second time and the car is only 18 months old. I am worried that the wheels will come off.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Oct 152002

Focus

Problem I'm still having and was reported to dealership is car pulls to left, ( not corrected) back end of car or tires bounce on road and especially when hitting a bump, cannot stay on road in slush or snow, back end is all over road, ( nothing done) tires are completely groved in many spots on the tires, caused by rear end bouncing on road, Firestone won't replace they say it is focas's rear end and it wears out the tires, dealer or Ford won't do anything about rear end or tires, car vibrates badly, rear doors barley open are so stiff, looks like door locks are coroaded nothing was done by dealership even though they said they lubricated, nothing is on the locks to show lubrication of locks.

- Friendship, WI, USA

Jan 152003

Focus

On November 23 2002 I was in a accident where I broke my nose and had numerous burises. The reason I got into an accident was because my wheel and suspension broke & seem to come apart. I had complained to Ford that my wheel had been shaking and that there was something wrong with it. I had taken it back 4 times to get fixed but everytime I got it back and it would shake just as bad. Also when I got into the accident my airbags didnt deploy at all I received a broken nose from hitting my head on the steering wheel. The car was shaking really bad and it seem to pull me off the road then all of a sudden it was like a snap and it went the other direction. I flew sideways up in the air and hit two oak trees luckly I didn't die from this accident if you would see the pictures you would think how did she survive. If the car would have hit the oak trees two feet closer to my door I wouldn't be here to tell you this. The car split in half & was totaled.

- Bella Vista, CA, USA

Dec 152002

Focus

This problem just happened yesterday. My daughter was making a turn, and the cvc joint completely fell apart. She lost all steering causing her to hit a curb. We had the car towed to the dealer where we bought it only a month ago. They are refusing to fix the car saying that she was in an accident causing the joint to fall apart. This is not the case. We are not sure what to do, and need help. This is a terrible defect, and if she hadn't have been going slow, she could have been killed. Is there anyone who can help us, as were not sure what steps to take to get the public attention about a possible killer.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 152002

Focus

Fuel pump was replaced twice from January to June sterring wheel and car shake while stopping and driving at 50 mph or above brakes have been checked 3 times finally had replaced and rotors, no change in performance

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 152002

Focus

My 2002 Ford Focus started having problems after 5000 miles. It started with a noise coming from the front left wheel area. From there the steering seemed shakey at times at highway speeds. Once, the car pulled to the left suddenly on the highway. The dealership has changed the transmission, front bearing, and knuckle, on the car in the past two months. The car is still not fixed. The most noticeable problem is the howling grinding noise coming from the front left wheel. It can be heard mostly around 50 to 60 mph. It is still unknown what is wrong with the car.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 012002

Focus 4-cyl

Abnormal tire wear

- Etna, WY, USA

Sep 192003

Focus

Tires wear out every 10,000 miles have replaced tires 5 times now was told it was because we didn't rotate. 3 line ups done and rotated every 5000 miles we are now on set number 6 of tires and the dealer can not explain why we cant get even 1/2 the life of the tire.

- Franklin, NH, USA

May 152003

Focus

I have had my A/C worked on at least 3 times. Also have heavy vibrations when I just had it aligned 5/04/03. And still having heavy vibrations.ak

- Childres, TX, USA

May 072003

Focus

While driving 50-60 mph the vehicle vibrates violently.

- Balch Springs, TX, USA

Mar 052003

Focus

The vehicle swayed from left to right and there was a popping noise coming from the rear also.

- Fairfax, MO, USA

Jan 092003

Focus

When driving the vehicle there's a loud noise coming from the rear of vehicle. Took to Ford and they states that the rear wheel bearings are wobbling.

- Oklakoma City, OK, USA

Sep 232002

Focus

The vehicle is experiencing severe wheel/tire thump, which causes a vibration in the steering and a loud audible noise in the cabin, the manufacturer is aware og the proble but a solution was not available for some months, the fact that the consumers vehicle had high mileage the manufacturer would not repair the vehicle free of charge although the vehicle was only 12 weeks old.

- Evart, MI, USA

Aug 232002

Focus

While driving the suspension broke. Nlm

- Rockwood, TN, USA

May 092002

Focus

Inside corner of rear tire, approximately three inch strip on each tire, wears excessively. Tires have been replaced at 9,000, and at 20,000. Still belt tread is showing. Consumer maintains problem is vehicle and not tire. Contacted manufacturer and dealer. Problem has not been resolved.

- Gandeeville, WV, USA

Jun 022002

Focus

While traveling at 45 to 50 mph vehicle jerks back and forth. Took to dealer, and they couldn't duplicate the problem.

- Brownsmill, NJ, USA

Jul 022002

Focus

Front wheels squeal when ever the consumer will start to drive faster then 30 mph. Contacted dealer, and dealer was not willing to do anything.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 172002

Focus

Consumer took vehicle to dealer due to suspension's erratic behavior which caused vehicle to bounce around. Dealer fixed 4 wheel alignment. Problem reoccurred.

- Stratton, OH, USA