2003 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Focus:

2003 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

May 212016

Focus

My car lost all electrical power, but was still running then finally it died. I lost all lights and electric battery was dead so I bought new battery then it happened again, so I bought new alternator because old alternator was bad, then new alternator died within a month. Same problem, then I went online and found a forum about the hatch back Focus and its wiring problem inside the protective sleeve. So I peeled back protective sleeve and sure enough there were exposed wires just like the thousands of posts from other people, this is very dangerous luckily I was able to pull my car off the road before it died, but with severity of this problem there needs to be a recall for this problem.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Focus. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle lost power, and the battery and engine lights illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, the hazer light failed to function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Mar 212016

Focus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Focus. The contact stated that after the ignition key was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition needed to be replaced. It was unknown if the vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Searcy, AR, USA

Aug 112015

Focus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an independent mechanic. The failure occurred on six occasions where the battery and alternator were replaced each time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Dec 132015

Focus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Focus. While parked, the vehicle was not able to start. In addition, the key was not able to turn. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Oct 022015

Focus

I was using my passenger seat heater while I was driving to pick something up from the mall when I started smelling a burning smell. When I got to the mall, I looked over to find a large scorch mark on the passenger side front seat

- Fortfille, IN, USA

Dec 012013

Focus

When riding down the road the doors will automatically lock by themselves. The steering wheel has locked several times over the years. When I bought the car used, it came with many keys. Well, this time when it locked, the steering wheel locked and the ignition locked and I had to get it towed from smithfield nc; approximately an hourly from my home. The mechanic can not get it unlocked because the steering wheel has to be turned to unlock it, vice versa, and the steering wheel is locked. Also the lighting is very poor with the head lights and I see this on all the vehicle for that year and make as I ride down the road. My car is parked because I cant afford to fix it. I have found many complaints about this steering and ignition lock issue. I am wondering why this vehicle has not been recalled for the issue. It is a hazard. I have contacted the Ford manufacturer concerning the matter and was told that they can't assist me with it because my car has no warranty. Also, there was a recall on the real door lock. Ford dealership informed me that it was repaired by team Ford dealership prior to me owning the vehicle; I informed him that the problem was still a issue getting the rear door to lock securely at times. He informed me that it could only have been fixed once under the recall. These issues have occurred repeatedly since I bought this vehicle in 2009. They all put me at risk of great danger.

- Warsaw, NC, USA

Apr 262015

Focus 4-cyl

Key will not turn in ignition. Again! has happened several times.

- Punxsutawney, PA, USA

Mar 032015

Focus

Key locks inside the igniton doesn't allow the car to start I replaced the igniton lock 3 times but the problem still happens...

- Hawley, PA, USA

Jan 122015

Focus 4-cyl

I have been having a problem with my ignition not turning. I looked up and saw over 300 complaints since 2011 on this problem.. I contacted Ford Motor Company and they stated that they could not assist me. I am now taking my car to a company that handles this problem and I have to pay over $150!!! I believe this is a big problem with no recall. The owner has stated that he is fixing at least one car (Ford Focus) a week with the same problem, yet there is not recall!!!!!!

- Erie, PA, USA

Apr 172013

Focus

I had to replace ignition kit about a month after getting it replaced again I put up with it until dec5 and had ir replaced again 1 day later keys is stuck in ignition again its a total of 7 ignitions I have replaced and Ford again says there is no problem with ignition, . I have seen hundreds of blogs about same problem and Ford doesn't replay to any of them what can be done? I am tired opf paying 250-200.00 to replace this.

- Dubuque , IA, USA

Feb 212013

Focus

I had to replace ignition kit about a month after I bought car new approximate date by this time the ignition started draining my battery and alternator and had to have them both replace along with new ignition kit and was told I needed new keys this lasted about a month then key got stuck on ignition again continuously at that time I called Ford again and was told they have no problems with ignition and nothing they will do for me. My nephew went to Ford school to become a mechanic and told me Ford has know about this problem since 2002 and doesn't want to do a recall.

Nov 162011

Focus

I had to replace ignition kit about a month after I bought car new approximate date.

Sep 302009

Jun 202007

Aug 252005

Mar 052003

Focus 4-cyl

I had to replace ignition kit about a month after I bought car new.

Nov 242014

Focus 4-cyl

I have had issues with the ignition locking. I'm going on my 3rd repair for the same exact issue. First the ignition was re-keyed and/or replaced. Next the ignition again was replaced. The steering column had to removed. This time, I'm imaging the same thing. I'm very upset that Ford has never offered to repair at discounts or to repair at all. Very upset that they never recalled it, knowing this was stacking up for buyers, as an issue. I come from a family with faithful Ford, Lincoln/Mercury ties, which include employees, retirees, and a family that supports Ford, no doubt. As a Focus owner, I am very disappointed how this has been handled.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 222012

Focus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact lost all control of the vehicle and crashed into a guard rail. The front passenger was thrown into the windshield and as a result of the impact, the contact's hip was dislocated and she sustained severe bruising and a laceration that required thirteen stitches. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer and the dealer were not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Morgantown , WV, USA

Mar 152013

Focus 4-cyl

Everything shuts off. Has happened multiple times. Most of the time it will start again in approx. 3 seconds. Now it is happening more frequently. It has even happened while the car is running. I made a right turn, and the car totally died. I quickly put on my flashers, put the car in park, and luckily it started. This has happened twice. Right now my car is in my parking lot and is totally blank. No power whatsoever. I took the car in once to my auto mechanic, he did a diagnostic (and since the car was up and running) he found nothing wrong and all he did was clean the mass air flow sensor. I know GM is having problems right now, but I don't think mine is an ignition switch problem (but what do I know!) I was thinking of having the car towed to the Ford dealership but I'm afraid that this would cost me an arm and a leg. Any thoughts? thank you.

- Dearborn, MI, USA