2003 Ford Focus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Focus:

2003 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jul 112008

Focus

Failure of front right-side oem coil spring due to excessive corrosion under rubber sleeve on coil spring. Coil spring was replaced.

- Eagle Lake, MN, USA

Jun 302008

Focus

Driving under normal conditions at 45 mph I heard a pop followed by a grinding noise from the front passenger side wheel. I immediately pulled over to find my car leaning noticeably to the front passenger side. Car was towed to Ford dealership and I was told that both front coil springs as well as the front right tire needed replaced due to coil spring corrosion and resulting failure of the front right coil spring.

- Covington, KY, USA

Oct 152007

Focus 4-cyl

I recently took my 2003 Ford Focus in for suspension noise in the front. The shop took a look at it and said he had seen a lot of Focus' and escorts that have the spring on the strut break. He said there is no warning signs. The noise he was hearing was coming from the top of the strut which he said didn't appear to be a hazard but suggest I replace both front struts just in case. He said a lot of the time people won't know that their spring is broken because it will stay intact in the bottom and top strut housing. He said on other occasions the spring will come out of the housings and possibly puncture the tire. He said aftermarket brands have a stronger steel they use in their springs and recommended using the aftermarket brand instead of Ford genuine parts. That is ok with me because the aftermarket brand is cheaper.

- Owosso, MI, USA

Nov 202003

Focus

There is serious problems w/ the front end of this vehicle. It was purchased approx. 17 months ago. Since then, I have had 3 major brake jobs. Twice, the pads were replaced and once both the pads and the rotors have had to be replaced. The vehicle also resonates at high speeds. Everything shakes including the sterring wheel and the states. It appears my two front tires are out of round. Ford originally said it was defect in the tire, which I replaced, however the new tire is out of round as well. An independent garage says that there is a problem with the front struts. Ford has numerous complaints from me reguarding both the brakes and the suspension system. Also the vehicle is very loud and it appears to be air coming in when. Ford initially resealed the windshield, however the problem has persisted.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 132003

Focus

Front end shimmies and pulls to the left at speed of 70 mph and faster. If vehicle isn't serviced immediately the problem will progress and occur at lower speeds. Dealership balanced and rotated the tires several times, and replaced all 4 tires twice. This only provides a temporary solution because the problem recurs.

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Sep 262003

Focus

While driving at 75 mph abruptly vehicle started swerving from side to side. This caused loss of control, vehicle spun around, and impacted a guard rail. As a result, driver sustained back and head injuries.

- Atlanta, GA, USA