2004 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Focus:

2004 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 172008

My car (2004 Ford Focus) was just about due for its 30,000 mile tune up when it first acted up. It stopped while driving on the freeway-no power, nothing. We took it to a local Toyota dealer service center and had it checked and the 30,000 mile tune up done. No problems for 1 month. While driving it did the same thing when I exited my driveway. After stopping the car, taking out the key, then re-starting the engine it seemed to be ok so I headed out on the highway. Fortunately while driving at the back of a line of traffic, including 2 fully loaded logging trucks, it happened when I had slowed down to about 50 mph. I got it over to the Toyota service station and again they checked it out and couldn't figure it out. This time they couldn't get it to start for about 10 minutes. The service manager called me the next day to tell me that Ford had a bulletin on fixing this type of issue, apparently the computer needed to be re-programmed! so I called the closest Ford dealership 29 miles away and tried to discuss the situation with them. I called another Ford dealer and was quoted 3 times as much. I called the Ford customer service to make a complaint and got the same blase attitude about the situation. No one thought it was a safety issue and that owners needed to be notified. But 4 times in total, my life and my fiance's life were in danger. This is another issue of Ford's negligence. Remember the Firestone tires"?"

- Placerville, CA, USA

Jun 302008

I have a 2004 Ford Focus that is having major issues with the ignition. The key will not turn in the ignition in order to start the car, and has left me stranded on several occasions.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

May 222008

Ignition switch frozen, the cost to repair/replace quoted by Ford dealership was $361, the cost by a locksmith is $300-$350. 2004 Ford Focus Z3.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 222007

Focus 4-cyl

I was stranded over the weekend at a gas station in the middle of nowhere because my key wouldn't turn, it seemed locked in my ignition. I really needed my car to start to get out of there but couldn't and was approached by a mentally insane man asking me for a ride. Nothing has been done to fix my car because they aren't open until Monday.

- Lagrange, IL, USA

Sep 182007

Focus 4-cyl

The shifter, steering wheel and ignition key all lock up on my 2004 Ford Focus. I simply guide my car to where I want to park it. Stop, put the car in park and turn off the car. When I go to start my car again, everything is locked up and takes a long time to get it unlocked. I almost have to break off the key to get it started.

- Crozet, VA, USA

Oct 052004

Car stalls without notice. Sent daughter to emergency room one time. Stalls 2 different ways, while driving and sometimes when coming to a stop. Total loss of control happens. Has been in shop many, many times and they can't figure out problem. Started when car was 7 months old. Also, clutch prematurely went out. Has been replaced 2 or 3 times. (car has 26,000 miles currently). Also, thermostat has gone out many, many times- daughter has driven most of winter with no heat.

- Ft. Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 232006

Focus 4-cyl

: the contact stated the ignition switch failed to turn when the key was inserted into the ignition, thus failing to start the vehicle. This was the 4th failure. Metal shavings were seen falling out of the ignition when the key was removed. The service dealer had the vehicle towed to the service repair shop for investigation. The manufacturer was not notified.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Mar 182006

My high beam is always on. My low beam and fog light do not work. The low beam and fog light are independent switch.

- Birch Run , MI, USA

Jun 152005

Focus 4-cyl

Contact owns a 2004 Ford Focus. While driving on the highway the car shut down without warning. No particular speed or circumstance. This incident happened several times on interstate. While going 70 to 75 mph. The car shut down, no battery, no lights, and it was very hard to steer. It happened at stop sign or at speeds of 35 to 45 mph.after putting vehicle in park then in neutral or park it will start back up. Vehicle was taken back to dealership 3 times in the last 3 weeks. Mechanic recalibrated the automatic transmission control module (PCM),and was told it would be okay. Took it off the dealership and within 10 miles incident started happening again. Flight recorder was installed on October 6, 2005 was told to push a button every time the vehicle shut off, but the problem was that there was electricity going to anything to make the flight recorder show the problem.

- Woodstock , GA, USA

Jul 152005

Contact states daughter came home from work on 7-15-05 and she had not had any problems with the car prior to this. The next day on 7-16-05 she noticed the car had caught on fire while it was parked in the driveway. The fire had already gone out. She had the car towed to the dealership, and the mechanic said Ford was coming on 7-19-05 to inspect the car. She talked to someone who had just retired from wayne assembly plant and he said they had been having a lot of problems with the fuel line coming off due to increased pressure on the Ford focuses. She has never received any recall notices. She does not know where the fire originated. The car is at the clinton Michigan Ford dealership.

- Clinton, MI, USA

Feb 062005

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle hesitated/stalled when applying the accelerator pedal from a stop position. Vehicle had been to the dealer on three separate occasions. The first time dealer replaced the coil assembly, spark plugs and spark plug wiring. Within two weeks or less the problem recurred. The last two times dealer informed the consumer that they could not duplicate the problem.

- Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA

Jul 252004

Focus 4-cyl Diesel

Car was purchased new in 4-04 at 4800 miles brakes groved, dealer said no problem; rotors cut & new pad at 10,000 and at 12000 grinding is back, also a flopping rubbing noise in front right which I think is because the rotor were cut too far and now there is too much play between pads and rotor, also electrical problems, lights, dash icons, door locks go on and off even without a key. GEM module & battery replaced but instrument cluster does not work and is on national backorder. No speedometer, no odometer, gas gauge etc. While driving, door locks lock and unlock at will, dash occassionaly flashed on for 15 seconds and then goes out again. Agency thinks it's the instrument cluster but because they can't get one to replace it, we can't be sure. The computer was kicking out codes for equipment that isn't even on the vehicle. Dealer says never saw this problem before.

- Christiana, PA, USA

May 192004

Electrical system failed to illuminate properly. The interior and exterior lights failed. This caused poor visibility for the driver.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA