2004 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Focus:

2004 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 132008

Focus 4-cyl

Key will not turn in ignition leaving me stranded at night. Seems to be a common problem with this car(Ford Focus) according to internet queries.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 212008

Focus 4-cyl

I have owned my 2004 Ford Focus SE for about 4 years now and out of no where the ignition in the car froze. When I put my key in the ignition the key doesn't go in the key hole smoothly once all the way in it wont turn. I was stranded at work for 3 and a half hours trying to get my car started finally a tow truck driver came and used a mallet hit my key while it was in the ignition to get the car started. I brought my car to a local Ford dealership because I heard that Ford did a recall on this part. Turns out that the dealership says I am fully responsible for the part...I did some researching online and found that hundreds of thousands of people have the same problem Ford is not fixing this malfunction. I am deploying to iraq for the second time and I can not leave my family a working vehicle because of a defect Ford has with the ignition system. I feel as if this is a problem that Ford should face and should do an official recall on. This is poor service esp coming from a large vehicle company like Ford.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Nov 122007

Focus

2004 Ford Focus with ignition problems. Consumer states that the key got stuck in the ignition. Consumer also stated that the vehicle would not start. Consumer was informed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jan 192008

Focus 4-cyl

My daughter went to start her 2004 Ford Focus and the key would not turn when inserted in the ignition. Steering wheel and ignition cylinder were locked up and could not be moved. This was the first occurrence of this problem. Vehicle was towed to a nearby Ford dealership where the problem was diagnosed as "ignition cylinder binding." Dealership drilled out cylinder and replaced at a cost of $425. Failure mileage was 67,947.

- Normal, IL, USA

Jan 012008

Focus 4-cyl

The key will not turn in the ignition of my 2004 Ford Focus.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 172007

Focus 4-cyl

2004 Ford Focus ignition key lockout failure. Had to replace tumbler.

- South Pasadena , FL, USA

Dec 142007

Focus

There were no events leading to this problem. It just happened out of no were. My key would not turn in the ignition.

- Fayetteville, TX, USA

Nov 042007

Focus 4-cyl

The contact's son owns a 2004 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the ignition would not turn when the key was inserted. The dealer stated that the ignition switch failed and was a common occurrence. As of November 8, 2007, the dealer had not repaired the vehicle. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 46,000.

- Portsmith, NH, USA

Nov 062007

Focus 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Focus. The vehicle failed to start because the steering wheel locked up. The vehicle was towed to the Ford dealer and is currently being repaired. The cause of the failure was the ignition switch. The contact discovered several complaints on this same defect, but no recalls were available. He considered this to be a manufacturer defect. The current and failure mileages were 48,000.

- Jonesburg, GA, USA

Oct 102007

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Focus. The contact was unable to turn the ignition when the key was inserted. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure recurred two days later. The dealer stated that the key cartridge caused the failure and they made the replacement. The contact stated that two of the three original keys have not worked properly since the replacement. The failure mileage was 14,155 and current mileage was 14,200. Updated 01-14-08. Updated 12/12/07

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 042007

Focus

Without any warning the ignition switch of the 2004 Ford Focus began to stop functioning properly. I am currently able to turn the key if I spend a few minutes manipulating the steering wheel while simultaneously turning the key.

- Grantsburg, WI, USA

May 172007

Focus 4-cyl

We purchased a brand new 2004 Ford Focus, 3 years ago. Of course the warranty just ran out (we're at about 38,000 miles). Over the past 2 weeks, we've had problems getting the key into the ignition, and once in the ignition, the key wont turn. The first time it happened, it took just a couple of attempts and then it turned. It has progressively gotten worse, and has taken up to 5 minutes to get the key into the ignition and to turn. Exactly 2 weeks and 2 days after the problem arose, I went to start my car and this time it took 10 minutes to get to key into the ignition and to turn. That same night I was attempting to leave a friends house, and again the key has trouble going into the ignition, and once in it wont turn, the steering wheel is locked, and I'm stuck. My husband has another key to the car, so we tried alternating the keys. We sat in the driveway for 30 minutes, trying both keys alternately, and the key just wouldn't turn. We had to get a ride home and are without a car now. Our mechanic said the same thing happened to someone else with the same car last week, and it cost them $420 for parts/repairs. We have to wait until next week when we can affords the repairs. I have read numerous consumer complaints about the same problem with the same car (Ford Focus, several years/models) some of them even had to replace the same part more than one time. This is obviously a faulty part, and Ford should be conducting some sort of recall to fix the part.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 272007

Focus 4-cyl

Yesterday I got into my car (a 2004 Ford Focus), put the key in the ignition, and the key would not turn. Today I took the car to the dealer and the problem was repaired. The key cylinder had malfunctioned. In doing some research I have discovered that this is a very common problem with the Focus, but Ford Motor Company has refused to recall the affected models even though this is a potential safety issue. The dealership did repair the problem, but I had to pay over $200 for it.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

Jan 302007

Focus

The key for my 2004 Ford Focus station wagon isn't working right. I turn it back and forth in the ignition and it take 5 minutes to start the car. It isn't on recall but should be. There are lots of the same issues on the internet.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Nov 072006

Focus 4-cyl

Ignition cylinder failed to turn during start up. Key would bottom out in cylinder as required, but upon attempting to rotate in any direction the key would not move. Could not get key to rotate after repeated attempts to do so over a 12 hour period. After researching the problem on the internet and talking with the dealership service rep where I purchased the vehicle, it seems this problem is very prevalent with this particular model from its inception in 2000. The particular failed ignition cylinder installed in the vehicle listed has had numerous issues in the past, but each time resolved the problem within minutes. Not this time. It had to be repaired through destructive disassembly, ie the cylinder lock needed to be drilled and replaced.

- Olalla, WA, USA

Oct 272006

Focus 4WD 4-cyl

I noticed when I first purchased my 2004 Ford Focus that it had intermitint problems with the key not turning the igintion over. I recently was stranded because my key didnt turn over and I took it the shop who confirmed it was my ignition lock that froze. The cost $265...

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 172006

Focus 4-cyl

Ignition switch failure.. fortunate that the event happened while at home. I travel frequently as an employee of the department of homeland security. This could have been very detrimental if this had occurred while on duty. Ford's extended warranty that we purchased in good faith, refused to cover the component. While the plan clearly states that the ignition switch is covered. Ford's cost for repair is over $365.

- Denton, TX, USA

Sep 052006

Focus 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford Focus LX and the ignition locked froze. The key wouldn't turn, therefore not allowing my vehicle to start no matter what. The car only has 50000 miles on it and is fairly new. After doing some research on the web, this is a common problem in Ford Focus vehicles. There is even a class action suit going on in California. Ford doesn't recognize this as a recall because it's not a "safety" issue. If my car doesn't start in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially with my kids, this is definitely a safety issue. This is happening to thousands of people and most of them say that they had to get this problem fixed more than once within a 3 year time period.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jul 022006

Focus 4-cyl

About two weeks ago I tried to start my 2004 Ford Focus, but the key would not turn in the ignition. After about 10 tries it finally worked. This afternoon I went to my car to pick up my wife from work and the key would not turn at all. I have tried for over two hours and no results. After some research on the internet I find that this is not an isolated case but rather the norm. Even further research revealed that there is no recall from the Ford company, in fact they are actively denying that there is a problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 112006

Focus 4-cyl

The ignition cylinder locked on my 2004 Ford Focus making it impossible to start; it froze the steering column as well. It occurred late in the evening and left me stranded 50 miles from home. I have since read many reports of the same occurrence to owners of the Ford Focus of various years and trims. This problem seems to occur spontaneously without any forewarning and is of great potential danger to the driver. Focus owners report repairing the problem repeatedly and Ford adamantly denies the defect.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA