2005 Ford Focus body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 282015

Driver's side door does not latch properly. I've spoken to several people at Ford and although this is a known issue, they will not cover the expense of a new door latch for older model Focus. The latch on my Focus has been working improperly for the past year now.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Door lock on rear, passenger door won't lock

- Littleton, CO, USA

Mar 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle pulled without warning. The contact was unable to open the front passenger and driver doors from outside the vehicle. The rear passenger door failed to open. The rear driver side door handle was slightly detached. The electrical warning light was illuminated. A certified mechanic stated that the tie rods and wheel well needed to be replaced, and the rack and pinion tightened. The tie rod and wheel well were replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 262015

The Ford zxw wagon's liftgate wiring harness had frayed inside the rubber housing at the junction where the gate pivots between the car body and liftgate. The wires shorted which caused the electric gate release to open at 70mph, while driving straight on a freeway. The liftgate rose up, opening the back of the cargo area to traffic. Luckily freeway speed winds kept it from completely opening, but when slowed to 30mph it went straight up. I'm lucky I had no children or animals in the back cargo area. And the fellow drivers on the road were lucky nothing shifted and fell out. The liftgate refused to latch after this point, making driving the car safely impossible. In researching the cause and repair, I noticed several forums where an identical problem with Ford's design was posted. The replacement bill at a Ford dealership was around $1,200, not including my time lost to research, repair, or finding alternative means of transportation for my business purposes. This is dangerous, potentially life threatening, and unfortunately, not fixed. The mechanics at Ford said the replacement part is the same as what was original. This will likely happen again.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Focus 4-cyl

The paint on my 2005 Ford Focus is peeling off in sheets from the drivers side door. The door on the drivers side has rusted from the inside out. This is to young of a car for this to happen to.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Oct 152013

Focus 4-cyl

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 tailgate will not latch causing door to fly open when I hit a bump.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 312014

On the date of my accident, I was headed for work, I was traveling about 65 M.P.H when the car in front of me slammed on her brakes. I couldn't avoid the situation, I ran into the back of her.. my airbags did not deploy.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Aug 192014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the drivers door, passenger front and rear door exterior handles were fractured. The fractured door handles could only open the doors using the handles on the inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Toledo , OH, USA

Jul 132014

Focus 4-cyl

The Ford Focus from 2007/2001 has had lots of door latches braking and the door will not open, in my case from the outside. I know Ford dealers seen a lot of these problems. This should be a fix at Ford expense. Were can I get the part other than the dealer? thank-you

- Port Huron, MI, USA

May 162008

Focus 4-cyl

Body paint started to peel off of my front drivers door, it has continued to peel on all the doors and currently is now peeling off of the trunk lid. I'm told that this is apparently a rock blister effect but I've owned many a vehicle and I have never seen this happen to any vehicle of mine before. This is a Ford problem not an owner problem. Of note, I've owned Ford vehicles since 2000 and currently own 2 Ford vehicles. None of my other vehicles have ever shown any indication of this horrible peeling. As well, my rear doors are always becoming stuck. Once again, I've been told to oil the components. This has been done over and over with no improvement.

- Winnipeg, MH, USA

Dec 092013

I purchased this car when it was only a year old and it has been a nightmare. First, all the door handles broke off making it impossible to get in and out of the car. Second, the accelerator stuck almost causing an accident and now the transmission went out while I was going through a busy intersection. Buyer beware, this car is not only junk but dangerous!!!

- Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Jun 112008

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the rear door was very hard to open due to corrosion. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 28,000. The current mileage was 138,000.

- Port Huron, MI, USA

Apr 292013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the front driver and passenger doors could not be opened because the latches were fractured. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no further assistance to the contact. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Maysville, KY, USA

Nov 012012

The rear door cannot lock either electronically or manually.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 012011

Focus 4-cyl

I owed a Ford Focus 2005. My car was parked when it was hit from behind. I noticed water going in my trunk after it was worked on. The body shop that worked on it took it back in to see what the problem was. They said there's alot of water coming from around the rubber ring on gas tank. The area where you open the gas door. I didn't have this problem until the car was hit. The body shop told me it was a whole another issue it wasn't on their part. When it rains the trunk is soaked especially when there's a heavy rain. Also my car doors freeze and I can't get in them in cold weather. The door locks were replaced when Ford had the recalled. The car was bought in Indiana. I lived in Washington state at this time. Also water was coming in around the light panel on the trunk. When I open it water would fall inside the trunk.that would the part that has a black panel below trunk key area. The body shop was able to fix it with silicon. Am wondering what damage is being done to the car. Damages I can't see. I can hear a popping sound from the rear end of the car.

- Kent , WA, USA

Dec 092007

Focus 4-cyl

Both rear doors are stuck closed and cannot be opened. Brought vehicle to Ford dealer to see if this repair was covered under the warranty for door latches. I was told that this vehicle was not covered. Ford quoted me a price of over $700 to replace the hardware inside of the door that had "oxidized". the passenger side rear door stopped opening a few years ago but this was not a major concern as I rarely have passengers in the rear of the vehicle. About a week ago the driver's side rear door stopped functioning for no apparent reason. It is interesting that the problem with this vehicle is almost identical to the recall that was issued for the door latches, yet it seems that there are many other Ford focuses that are not covered under the warranty based on VIN#. this could become a safety issue if the door were to open while the vehicle is in motion or if passengers were unable to exit the vehicle in an emergency situation (for example, an accident in which the front doors were damaged, there would be no exit from vehicle if both rear doors are stuck). I purchased this vehicle new in 2005 and the back doors were rarely used.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Mar 072012

Focus 4-cyl

The passenger back door lock does not lock. The electric key beeps when the doors are locked and continues to beep telling me it's locked but I go to it and it opens anyway. I don't know how long it has been this way since I had been trusting the electric key to tell me it was locked. The first time I noticed it was when on 3/7/12 I had to use the manual key and I went around to check each door. I then saw that I couldn't lock it manually. Later of course I checked it with the electrical key and found out it wasn't locking though it would beep to tell me it was.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 112008

Focus 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 35 miles per hour, the right rear passenger door opened on it's own. Had to pull over and secure the door with ties as the door would not latch. Noticed later the door latch appeared to be rusted. Since this incident, both rear door latches and the driver's side door latch have failed. Recently, the car was brought to the dealership to remedy the issue; however, the dealer stated the vehicle was not included in the recall despite having the same defect as the vehicles covered under the recall.

- Racine, WI, USA

Oct 092008

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. After rainy weather conditions, the contact noticed excessive water leaking onto the rear passenger side floor of the vehicle. The trunk was also leaking water. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and they stated that the seams were split in the chassis. The vehicle was repaired; however, the excessively wet carpet padding and carpet were not replaced. The contact was concerned of possible exposure to mold due to the wet carpet. The failure mileage was 10,000 and current mileage was 12,500.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA