8.6

2. replace PCM (1 reports)
  3. replace the air sensor (1 reports)
2005 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Feb 182014

Focus

This is an ongoing problem, this is the most recent occurence. Car started fine, then the usual flickering lights (headlight and dash) and radio. Then car died. It started right back up this time. New battery a week ago. Previously have gone through several alternators and hundreds of dollars of "diagnosis time" only to be told they have no idea.

- , OFallon, IL, USA

Dec 192013

Focus

Car has had intermittent electrical problem where lights flick on and off, radio flicks on and off...all in time to a clicking relay under the dash. But this time I was on the interstate when the car completely dies. No power whatsoever, can't even lower window to signal my rapid departure across 3 lanes to side of road. Very dangerous. This was the first time it had ever completely dies. It has dies on the road a few times since. Oddly enough I can jiggle the negative battery cables and get going again...with what I have read here and elsewhere not sure if this is truly a ground side issue. In any case, Previously have gone through several alternators and hundreds of dollars of "diagnosis time" only to be told they have no idea what's wrong. Dealer and private mechanics have no idea what is wrong. I think Ford is covering it up.

- , OFallon, IL, USA

Oct 222012

Focus SE 2.0L

It was happening daily just after I bought it. It went on for about 3 weeks, and then the dealer fixed it.

He changed the air sensor and now it works.

- , Far, ON, Canada

Sep 152010

Focus 2.3

car simply dies while driving. no warning. all electric dead then restarts after a few minutes like nothing ever happened. it may run fine for a week then bang it dies.

- , Maryville, TN, USA

Dec 022009

Focus ZX4 ST 2.3L

I purchased this vehicle brand new, and it has 56000 miles. While I was driving the vehilce made a strange noise than stalled. I attempted to restart it, the lights on the dash lit up but the odometer displayed dash marks which i found strange. The vehicle did nothing. I went on just answer.com and followed the tech's instructions. All signs pointed to needing a new PCM. Ford charges over $800 for this part. I sent it to have it remanufactured which was about $262.00. I am waiting for it to come back to reinstall which hopefully takes care of that will let you know the outcome. At 56,000 mi for the PCM to go is ridiculous. I found other owners on the internet with the same problem. I use to own an escort which was a nightmare. This is it I will never buy a ford again.

- , Boston, MA, USA

Jan 062005

Focus SE 4 cyl

The car will stall at various times and no it is not a 5 spd. It has stalled in the dead of winter, the middle of summer, with the a/c on, with no accessories on, and just about any other condition imaginable. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it and happens about once every two months beginning from brand new. The dealer, the last time I had it looked at for this problem, had the car for four days and cannot find the cause. The factory itself is of course no help which leads me to believe it is a design flaw whether it is from the supplier of components or the engineering of the vehicle but nobody has a clue. The car is now out of warranty and with no help offered will not be returned to the dealer for more of the same with a more expensive outcome. Quality is job 1?

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 212008

Focus ZX4 2.0L

I bought my car brand new in August 05. Since then the battery light kept going on I replaced 2 batteries before they told me my alternator was going out. Now 3 alternators later my car keeps dying on me while driving. The oil light and a yellow light that looks like a faucet comes on just before dying. I wait a few minutes then it starts like new.

- , Carrizo Springs, TX, USA