2005 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

May 122013

Focus 4-cyl

Key stuck in ignition. The column was not locked. On the gear shift there is a plastic sleeve. I put the gear shift in park and slid my hand below the knob and pulled the sleeve up and the key comes out.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Jan 062013

Focus 4-cyl

The rear driver side door lock will not lock. The child safety lock doesn't even make it work. All other doors work with the remote entry key fob and alarm activates but the rear passenger door remains unlocked. I can not even lock it manually. I fear my grandchildren will be able to simply open the door and exit the car and am very concerned for their safety not to mention the possiblity of someone entering the car to do harm or vandelize the vehicle.

- Almont, MI, USA

Oct 222010

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 for Focus zxw station wagon. The contact stated that when the key was in the ignition and the shift over ride button was depressed, the key would become locked in the ignition. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the vehicle was operating as designed. The contact glued the shift over ride button in place and changed the ignition, which resolved the failure. The contact also stated the metal frame of the driver's seat became cracked. The contact had to prop the seat up so that he could drive the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 205,000. Updated 02/20/13 the consumer stated the transmission was poorly designed. Updated 02/21/13 the consumer stated the experienced numerous problems with the transmission, after having the fluid flushed. The consumer stated the side view mirrors were rigid and were easy to break, the rear suspension springs were not designed to carry weight, which caused the vehicle to bounce on the highway and secondary road bumps. The heat shields attached to the exhaust system were designed poorly, to the point they were bent and caused a rattle. The steel rims, bent easily, which created a vibration and balance problem. The headlights lenses were discolored, the valve cover gasket leaked oil onto the spark plugs, the hood cables were defective. The hood cable froze and broke. Updated 07/25/13

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Aug 202010

Focus 4-cyl

Purchased the car new, have had to have alternator and battery replaced 3 times now. Every time it goes out without warning and in most cases on the highway or in heavy city traffic. I almost couldn't stop nor steer the car safely away from the road. Each occurrence has cost me $500 usd from towing, parts, and labor.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Sep 252012

Focus 4-cyl

The rear passenger door will not lock or unlock with the keyless entry nor the buttons in the car. Turning on or off the child lock feature does not affect it. I can manually 'force it' either way - barely - for now. This happened once before several years ago - where it was stuck completely unlocked, and you couldn't manually force it. It was like that for several months and then mysteriously fixed itself. I have looked up this particular problem online and have found that this make & model appears to have many cars with this issue yet Ford has not done a recall on it. This is a safety issue. Two scenarios are possible here that alarm me: Either emergency personnel can not open the door because it's stuck in the locked position and cannot be moved or the door remains unlocked and unwanted persons get in or things in the car get stolen because the lock is stuck unlocked. Common sense would seem to argue that this deserves to be fixed at no cost to the consumer, given the safety issues with this defect.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Feb 262011

Focus 4-cyl

On 2/26/2011 at approximatly 1900 hrs. I was at nellis air force base in las vegas Nevada I had to pull over in a safe area to look for my id as I got out of the car with the car in park and emergency brake on I proceeded to lift the handle in front of the seat that allowes it to be moved forward so I can look under the seat for my id, I couldn't see it so I proceeded to do the same with the passanger seat and it wasen't there so again I was on the drivers side and again pulling up the handle and my right side of my face and ear was within an inch of the side air bag when it explodedand nocked me up against the drivers door frame and the airbag powder was all over me and for 30 seconds I couldn't see or hear. My face was on fire with acid burns all over my face and my right ear. I was seen at the er and was treated which included a cat scan of my hear to see if there was any internal trama and that was negative however I had developed tmj because of the impact to my jaw and migrain headaches which have not subsided to this day. All reports and pictures id taken were sent through E-mail to Ford claims dept. I was sent the paper work to fill out and send it back to them, in March 2011 I have to got to a dealer to have the chip red and it cost to have that done was $103.48. It states that the dtc B1231 restraint system was sufficient impact to warrent a deployment yet indicates that no collision occured. So then now the modual needs to be taken out by the dealer which I went to Ford and they refused to help, so that evening went to another Ford and they helped it took them January 2012 to coordinate with Ford to take out the modgual, I just found out a week ago June 14th. That bosh is just now taking a look at that product that was sent to them in January $2012.16 months later nothing else has been done and I don't know what else I can do. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- N. Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 062012

Went to pick my son up from school. Could not get key out of ignition. Took to a local mechanic and cylinders were replaced. That was in March. Got home today (may) and the same problem. Luckily have a driveway but I am annoyed and nervous about keeping this car. Fearful that the key may get stuck at an inopportune time.

- Hyde Park, MA, USA

Jul 252006

Focus 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle new in 2005. Within the first year and a half I started noticing that the dash lights would illuminate when the vehicle was parked, no keys in the ignition. The ABS and battery light would flicker on and off accompanied by a buzzing sound. The wireless remotes stopped working as well. I brought the vehicle to Ford as it was still within the three year/36,000 mile warranty period. They said that they could not duplicate the problem. They re-programmed the wireless remotes. After this the problem continued with the flickering lights and buzzing sound and also the wireless remotes stopped working. I returned the vehicle to Ford and they told me that the dash lights were malfunctioning and they would have to open up the dash, they quoted me $700 just to open up and diagnose plus the labor charges for whatever the problem was. This was right after the the year/36,000 mile warranty period was over. I mentioned that I had been to the dealership for the very same reason when the vehicle was under warranty but they could not find the problem. Ford said that the vehicle was no longer under warranty. Ford did not fix this issue and also said that the wireless remotes could not be reprogrammed. In the years since the initial problem, I have had to put in two new alternators. The dash lights flicker almost continuously. The dash display (speedometer, odometer, etc.) has completely cut out while driving the vehicle several time. The vehicle still operates but loses power when the dash cuts out. When the dash display cuts out you are driving without a gas gauge, speedometer, etc. When the dash lights come back on, there is a "hiccup" or power surge accompanied by the same buzzing sound that occurs when the dash lights are flickering when the vehicle is parked.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. While attempting to lock the vehicle, the contact noticed that the rear passenger side electronic locking mechanism failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the door lock actuator and locking assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and the failure mileages were 92,000.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Mar 082012

After starting the car when it has set a few hours the overdrive off light is flashes yellow, odometer just shows dashes, and speedometer dosent work. Car still operates but shifts gears hard, when it reaches the speed for door to lock everything starts working. I have had multiple problems with the engine mgmt fuse, and have had 3 altenators changed out in the last 2 years. Also I had a problem with key not coming out of ignition and found out that a peice of the shifter had broke off and slid down and kept it from going all the way into park, after removing part I have had no problem with the key. Also engine light stays on was told by auto zone it was vaccum system took it to Ford place they said it was motor mounts, they were replaced 20,000 miles ago and it still hasnt helped.

- Temple, GA, USA

Jul 292011

Was driving 45 on a busy road and all the lights on dashboard flickered and the car went dead and had to drift off onto a median. Had 2 people look at the car and found that there was the 20 amp fuse out. Went to get another one we made sure all the wires were attached and nothing was loose, we turned the steering wheel a bit and with the new fuse in the car started, as we turned the steering wheel the car stalled again. Went back to the store bought 2 more fuses and got the car started drove 1 mile and it stalled again. Tried the 3rd fuse and nothing. Had to have the car towed to local garage 20 miles away from where it stalled. The garage states that the issue is in the dashboard and they have to take it to Ford to have it tested to find the issue. Cost will be anywhere between $400 to $1000 to fix depending on what they find with the test. Got the call from the garage it is going to be fixed for $500. Money we do not have for bad wiring that is not our fault! Ford needs to step up and take responsibility because this seems to be an issue!

- Apex, NC, USA

Jul 262011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving 65 mph all of the warning lights would flash on the dash board and the vehicle stalled, nearly causing a crash. The contact drove onto the emergency lane and restarted the vehicle within four minutes. After restarting the vehicle, the identical failure recurred. The contact drove the vehicle to a dealer who performed a diagnostic test which did not identify or duplicate the failure. The contact stated the failure occurred four times prior to taking the vehicle to the dealer. The contact was concerned since the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 112011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated the check engine light constantly illuminated causing multiple failures with the vehicle. The failure was within the electrical part of the vehicle including the solenoid, transmission, valve body and the safety switch. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who performed a diagnostic test but did not diagnose a definite solution for the repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and stated there were no recalls or warranties on the vehicle and offered no other assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the failure mileage was 43,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jan 022011

Focus 4-cyl

An electrical short in the rear wiring harness in the liftgate has caused the rear defrost, the rear wiper and the high-mount rear brake light to all fail, concurrently. The dealership has commented that this was a common problem with ZX3 Ford Focus model and was as recalled service issue on a prior model year. It was also cautioned by the tech that fire could result.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Apr 042005

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact was unable to release the key from the ignition. The failure was experienced numerous times and the vehicle was taken to the dealer in 2005 but the dealer did not replace the ignition switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was scheduled to have diagnostics performed at the local dealer. The failure mileage was 1,500 and the current mileage was 54,000.

- Boothwyn , PA, USA

Apr 152011

2005 Ford Focus station wagon rear hatch: The wires that go to the hatch (near the top) are too short and so weak that after 26,000 miles the wires broke and due to this break/short the car would not go out of "park". the brake lights quit working and it blows one fuse after another fuse. Due to the wires being so short it is impossible to repair the breaks. This appears to be a very common problem from what I see on the internet. Ford should be liable for these repairs.

- Bishop, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Just like all the other complaints. 'my key became stuck in the ignition and was stranded hundreds of miles from home" how thoughtful of Ford to only charge me four- hundred dollars!

- Petersburgh, NY, USA

Jan 092011

Focus 4-cyl

2005 Ford Focus will not start when the weather turns cold or will start but for no apparent resin just stops running no fuel pressure and fuel pump does not run when the problem arises when the weather turns worm the car starts and runs fine does not display any engine fault coeds. From what I have read this seems to be a Ford problem that doesn't won┐T to except.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Oct 042010

Intermittently keys get stuck in ignition, after a few days they usually come out may be weeks or months before it happens again, while driving I hear a clicking noise, lights in the dashboard and all the gauge lights start flickering, if you shut off the car it will not start again and lose all power, no lights, locks anything power shuts down, I have been stranded due to this problem. Have already had some wires replaced, problem still continues..when it happens the car starts to hesitate, very dangerous if on an interstate or going through an is back in the shop again for this issue, only 54000 miles on the car...even when I get it back from shop this time am afraid to drive the car, I was told it was fixed last time, who is to say that it is truly fixed this time, don't want to be stranded or in an accident.

- Apex, NC, USA

Oct 162010

Focus 4-cyl

The ignition in the Ford Focus falls apart and you are stranded!!!. I had my handicapped daughter with me and it was night. I can imagine a young woman by herself with this problem. You cannot be jumped or a mechanic cannot look at it. The only solution is to be towed, which for us was 49 miles away. Very unsafe for my daughter and me. We had to leave her walker behind and she was without it (immobile) until I could retrieve it. This car had less than 50,000 miles on it and had all checkups and everything up to date.

- Pamplin City, VA, USA