2005 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 042010

Focus

Having problem with alternator and keys stuck in the ignition for 2nd time in two years. Key will not release but will turn.

- Lancaster, SC, USA

Sep 282010

Focus

Driving at 50km/H, ABS and brake lights come on, shortly after all electrical systems shut down, including power steering, front lights, gauges...everything. Engines continues to run, when the vehicle slow to almost idle, engines stops. Unable to restart, no ignition no sign of life whatsoever. Waited 20min, was able to start engine, electrical came back and drove for 5min before same thing happened. Dealer identified a faulty alternator, car has 135000km.

- Ottawa, 00, USA

Sep 162010

Focus

Ford Focus 2005 wagon. Noticed that electric lock will not open hatch back, but took no action to correct. Incident: Could not move shift lever out of park leaving motorist stranded. Found that shared brake light fuse was blown. Replaced fuse, but wondered about root cause so tested brake lights. Immediately noticed that brake lights remained on when brake pedal was not pressed or pressed. Realized that this is a major safety concern, as other drivers will not be aware when the brake is pressed. After web search, I observed many documented cases of damaged wiring harness; I opened the hatch and removed the rubber boot covering the wiring harness. Immediately observed that several wires were severed and others damaged.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 062010

Focus

Intermittently car will seem to short out for split seconds. If I let it idle all is ok but as I apply the gas the split second short comes back. This can happen at various speeds and sometimes if I go over some bumps all becomes ok. Friend with a madza3 had similar problem hat was fixed by changing the solenoid.

- Ville St Laurent Quebec Canada, 00, USA

Jun 182010

Focus

I'm having problems with the car hesitating while driving. This has repeatedly happened. I have a little over 90,300 miles on the car. It really scares me when I'm going at least 60 mph on the highway and press the gas to accelerate and then get the hesitation or pullback as if it is going to cut off. I'm afraid it is going to cut off while I am driving it. It also happens when I'm driving 35 mph. When this happens and I cut the car and start it back up, the clock resets to 12:00 and the radio comes on blasting. My lights flicker when it happens at night. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pump module. This has not helped one bit and I am out $462. They have quoted me a price of $1500 if the fuel pump module replacement did not work. They tell me it will probably be the PCM that needs replacing.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 202010

Focus 4-cyl

Hatch wiring harness fatigued and developed broken wires in the bend area of the wiring harness causing a short circuit. This resulted in loss of stop lamp function & harness burning.

- Garrison, NY, USA

Jun 192010

Focus

Excessive heat from taillight/brakelight bulb caused plastic housing to distort and brake lights fuse to burn out, causing loss of rear brake lights. Potential for rear end collision & wiring fire. After fuse was replaced, wiring smoldered until new fuse also burned out.

- Garrison, NY, USA

Feb 152009

Focus 4-cyl

The hatch back lid started opening when the rear window defrost was turned on. This has resulted in many inadvertent opening of the lid while driving. While researching, I found a recall for the 2000 Ford Focus assigned NHTSA 00V411000. I pulled back the rubber boot which protects the same wire harness at the hinge point of the lid. I discovered multiple cracked and exposed wires, and on wire broken it two. I desire for this to be a recall item just as you did for the 2000 model. I have pictures if you desire.

- Lavista, NE, USA

Mar 122010

Focus

Could not get key to release from the ignition of my 2005 Ford Focus. Had to leave car unlocked, with key in ignition overnight. Still cannot release key. A child could get into the car and start it up with tragic consequences. Many reports on the internet about Ford Focus ignition cylinder problems, including key-lock issues. I am a single mother who works in retail management, and I get out late at night from work quite often. If my key locks up, I could be stranded in a darkened lot and vulnerable to crime. Ford is aware of this problem, had been for years, and has not taken accountability for it. This is absolutely inexcusable for a major corporation..

- Grover, NC, USA

Feb 252010

Focus

Ford Focus 2005- the key will not come out of the ignition, after putting the car in park, and turning the ignition off. I took it to Ford, and they charged me $300 for replace the ignition cylinder. They said they were 90% sure it would fix the problem. Well, it didn't. it is still happening. They now say maybe it's some cable, but it will cost $450 to fix it. They also refuse to apply the $300 for the last unnecessary fix to this fix. I see on the internet that thousands of Focus owners have this problem. Ford refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem.

- Milford, DE, USA

Feb 202010

Focus

The key cannot be removed from ignition.

- Kent, WA, USA

Dec 282009

Focus

My key is stuck in the ignition and will not release from it. I have to leave the key in ignition and lock the vehicle with the alarm.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 032009

Focus

Ignition switch will not turn. If car was stalled in traffic or on railway crossing serious safety issues could arise.

- Culloden, WV, USA

Feb 022009

Focus

My car fails to start until I crank it 3 or 4 times. Sometimes it begins to start then sputters and dies. It has been an everyday thing for about 3 months now. It happens about every time I go to start my car with a few times it starting right away.

- Whiteland, IN, USA

Feb 292008

Focus

My key gets stuck in the ignition intermittently. Nothing I do releases it. Sometimes I have to leave it in my car for days before I come out one of the mornings and it just decides to let me have my key back. On and off ever since I have gotten the car.

- Whiteland, IN, USA

Mar 252009

Focus

Key stuck in ignition started car drove home. Parked car. Turned it off. Key stuck. Disconnected battery. Key came out. Reconnected battery. Reinserted key. Key wouldn't turn. Car wouldn't start. Left overnight. Tried again. Left alone for a few more hours. Re inserted key. Depressed brake...moved car out of park and back into park. Key then worked fine.

- Stuart, VA, USA

Feb 192009

Focus

My key is stuck in the ignition and will not release. Has happened multiple times over the past 6 months. At first I thought it was a damaged key but when it happened on a 2nd key the car was taken to our local Ford dealer. Dealer has replaced lock, and after a repeat occurrence re-keyed the lock and re-cut the keys. Now key is stuck and will not release. Maryland law requires keys to be removed from the vehicle in the interest of public safety.

- Lusby, MD, USA

Feb 062009

Focus

2005 Ford Focus station wagon- loss of tail lights, high mount stop light, dash lights, running lights due to short in liftgate wiring. The wiring harness in the liftgate fatigues at the bend area. Wires break, resulting in a open or short which blows fuse. The blown fuse results in no high mount stop light, running lights, tail lights, and instrument lights. In addition the heated rear defrost and windshield wiper also fail. The harness must be replaced to fix the problem. This issue was part of a recall in 2000- NHTSA campaign id number 00V411000. My car is a 2005. The problem was never fixed in production.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Dec 032008

Focus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact experienced difficulty removing the ignition key, which was stuck in the ignition switch. She made several attempts to release the key, but was unsuccessful. The failure occurred without warning. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they advised that the vehicle be taken to an authorized dealer for repair. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN and mileages were unknown.

- Douglas, TX, USA

Dec 032008

Focus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the key was stuck in the ignition switch, which failed to release. The failure occurred without warning. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN and mileages were unknown.

- Douglas, TX, USA