6.0

2005 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jan 032012

Focus

Hey guys! I have a 2005 ford focus with a starting problem. I've never had a problem with it starting until the cold weather hit. Snow, heavy coat weather. I noticed one morning that my garage was colder than outside. (The sun was shining bright that day). It seemed to have a refrigerator effect. The focus did start it seemed but shut back off instantly. It repeated this for a few tries and then I pumped the gas to go with starting it. This helped the engine stay running until it got warm enough to stay running on its own.

For the rest of the day it will start just fine no problem. It's only when it gets rather cold overnight that it wont start early in the morning. If you let it sit in the sun for a few hours, it starts just fine again.

Please Help with possible solutions! Cheap ones!!

- , Beloit, WI, USA

Feb 202008

Focus ZX3 SE 2.0L

Bought my Focus in July 2005. A few months later, I couldn't get the car to start. The starter cranked for a long time but no start. I sat there and waited a minute and tried again. The engine sputtered and came to life. I took it to the dealer and they said the transponder in my key and the ignition cylinder lost communication, which I don't think was the problem, because the starter would not energize if the computer couldn't locate the key transponder.

For as long as I've owned the car, it starts up right away sometimes, takes 5 seconds of cranking sometimes.

It's February 2008 now. In the last month, I've had three instances of stalling on first start of the day. When the problem occurs, it starts, stumbles and stalls, but I can restart it. On the most recent event, I was able to save from stalling by pumping gas, but nonetheless it wasn't acting normally.

- , Portland, OR, USA