7.7

$2,370.00

2. replace master, slave cylinders & internal transmission part (3 reports)
2005 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Dec 162013

Focus

I've seen a lot of reports regarding the Focus and its issues with the transmission. Mine is no exception, my car will not move in any gear!

- , Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Mar 152010

Focus ZX4

I bought a 2005 Ford focus for my son, who is a college student in 2008 with 43,000 miles on it. 17 months later, after adding only 12,000 miles, the transmission went bad. It would slip really badly in third gear. It was 7 weeks out of warranty and ford would not do anything. I harassed the dealer so bad that he agreed to fix it and work with me on the cost. They replaced the transmission with a used one. I hope the new one doesn't do the same thing. I paid 970.00 for the repair. As far as I was concerned it should have been free!

- , Reading, PA, USA

Apr 242010

Focus 2.0L

TRANSMISSION WENT 1 MONTH AFTER THE WARRANTY!! GO FIGURE!! MONTH BEFORE IT WENT HAD IT SERVICED AND NO ONE SAID ANYTHING!!! AFTER IT WENT I CALLED 4 DIFFERENT MECHANICS AND EACH ONE SAID THAT IT SHOULDN'T HAVE GONE THAT EARLY!! I ONLY HAD 78,484 MILES ON THE CAR!!! SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH IT!!!!

- , Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Jan 022010

Focus 2.0L

Really don't want to complain unless this turns out to be a major fix. Focus has performed admirally up until now. The only complaint I have is the dealer gouging me on routine maintenance. Took my Focus to a local (trusted) transmission specialist about a month ago and of course it performed flawlessly for his brief road test. He advised me to bring it back to him when I could leave it for a day so he could drive it cold. I plan to do that very soon (before the weather warms up). Mid February right now... can"t wait to get out riding my new Moto Guzzi V7 Classic.

- , Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada

Aug 222009

Focus ST 2.3L 4 cyl

Incident

2005 ford focus st, with only 42,000 miles, suffered catastrophic transmission failure during a trip from Minnesota to NYC. The clutch hydraulics failed, and Ford claims that the clutch master and slave cylinders are not covered under the 100,000 mile Powertrain Care Extended Service Plan (costing $1600 to repair). When that repair proved inadequate, the Ford dealer next repaired the transmission (costing another $2,350). The Ford dealer advised that the transmission repair would be covered under the warranty, so it was approved, but afterwards Ford denied coverage, saying that the transmission failure resulted from the non-covered clutch hydraulics failure. It took more than a month for the dealer to finish the car repairs, with poor communications and much misinformation over that time period.

Damage Resulting

Our son, who was the driver of the car and authorized its repairs, had to fly from NYC to Minneapolis to return to his University, and then purchased 2 one-way tickets to try to pick up the car when it falsely was promised to be ready. We cannot afford the repairs, so a New York mechanics/' lien will be imposed. We owe $6,000 to Ford Credit for the loan on the car, but its FMV is only about $6,000. This was our first /"American/" car purchase in 35 years, and it will be our last!

- , Guadalupe, CA, USA

Mar 112009

Focus ZX3 2.3L

I own a 2005 ford focus 2.3 manual. I have difficulty getting it into first and reverse when the vehicle is cold . Ford says its the clutch and will fix it for about $1,200.

I thought it was just my car but it seems that other owners are having the same issue.

- , San Jacinto, CA, USA

Apr 032008

Focus ZX3 2.0L

Since buying this car new I have had the following problems: Ford dealership rebuilt the manual transmission 3 times and going back for the 4th time. Replaced the same half shaft twice.

- , Saint Marys, OH, USA

Aug 072006

Focus ZX5 SES

While my fiance and I were on vacation the transmission slipped out of gear 3 times. When it would go back into gear it would slam. It felt as if someone were rear ending us. This happened 3 times in 1 week. We took it to the ford dealer where they stated that the transmission needed to be flushed. So, for $110, they flushed it. THEY DIDN'T EVEN CHANGE THE FILTER!!!!! After getting the car back, it still continues to slip and slam. All they can tell me is that until they can duplicate the problem, that there is nothing that they can do. This is BULLS***!!!!! I have a 2001 Camry with almost 200,000 miles that has no issues.... DAMN FORDS

- , Caribou, ME, USA

Oct 012007

Focus ZX5 2.3L

I called Ford Company was told the transmission had to be repaired 4 times before they would replace with new transmission if it is still under warranty.

- , Farmersville, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Focus ZX3 SE 2.0L

The transmission has been difficult to get into 1st or reverse not until the engine warms up, but until the entire transaxle warms up.

Sometimes it's so stiff that I think I have it in gear, but when I release the clutch, it grinds, because it didn't go in all the way.

The car has been in dealer twice over the same issue and each time, they could find no problem with it. It was hard to shift in 2005 with 10,000 miles on it. In 2008, with 23,000 miles on it, it's even harder to shift. On a cold day, the if the car is started in neutral, there's no way you can get it in reverse without putting it in 5th first, then into reverse.

I live in the city and getting into 1st is also a struggle and I have no choice but to leave it in gear and stay on my clutch unless I want to force it into gear, which I believe will cause a linkage/cable damage in the long run.

The problem is particularly bad when the temperature goes below 32F

- , Portland, OR, USA

Oct 232007

Focus ZX5

I had a 91 Ford Taurus whose transmission took a sh*t at 82000 miles. The car was bought brand new and driven like granma drives. I thought that I would give ford another shot and bought my 2005 focus in march 2007 It had 50000 miles on it and ran good. Now i have just made my 6th car payment on it and the trans is taking a sh*t. It wont shift when its supposed to and tries to shift when its Not supposed to. POS!! I WANT FORD TO FIX IT, AND FIX IT FOR FREE DAMNIT! Im not putting 3 transmissions in this car. It will go off a cliff first!

- , Nottingham, PA, USA

Oct 152007

Focus ZX3 SE 2.0L

I have a manual transmission in my focus. Until the entire transaxle is warmed up, I find it difficult to get the car into first or reverse. I'd have to nudge it into 2nd, then throw it back into 1st, or else it won't go in to first unless I FORCE it. Same with reverse. Nudge into 2nd or 5th, then back into reverse.

Took it to the dealer, they found a TSB, checked and said fine. Nothing fixed.

- , Portland, OR, USA