2006 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Focus:

2006 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 282015

Focus 4-cyl

The rear passenger side door lock does not lock. This is the side the baby carseat is located. All the other doors do lock/unlock. It happened suddenly without any reason. I have noticed multiple occurrences of this issue on internet forums for Ford and Ford does not have a recall or a mandatory fix but they need to as this is a real safety and security issue!

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Sep 022014

I have had only two problems with my 2006 Ford Focus. First we have had to change the ignition switch twice due to the key being stick in lock would restart but would not come out. Second the inner door on the defrost sticks when on full defrost or full air conditioning and the cables brake keeping the driver from using the air conditioner or defrost at this point it is stuck on air.

- Atchison, KS, USA

Aug 272014

Focus 4-cyl

Rear drivers side door will not lock. Not with the key remote or manually. Children in the back seat can open door any time.

- Portland, ME, USA

Aug 182014

Driving down the street and vehicle just stopped running/died. It has been at the dealer for almost two weeks and they haven't figured it out yet. No call, same run around when I call about update....

- Hartville, OH, USA

Jul 022014

Focus 4-cyl

The truck latch on my 2006 Ford Focus zxw would not actuate electrically when the button on the fob or on the dash was pressed due to broken wire in a wiring harness running from the interior to the rear hatch door. It would also blow fuse #63 on the back of the interior fuse panel which made replacement difficult (the fuse is really on the back of the fuse box, the manual recommends that only the dealer service or replace this fuse making this issue difficult or impossible to partially resolve immediately). Until this fuse could be replaced, my interior door locks could not be actuated electrically (power locks or fob) which was a safety concern as any children in the back seat could not be easily reached in the event of an emergency. One would need to manually unlock any and all doors from the inside of the vehicle. The culprit was wiring harness that had wires with damage to the insulation and two broken wires. I would be happy to send any and all pictures of the defects. The damage occurs when the harness bends as the rear hatch is shut due to poor design that did not incorporate a stain relief to either end of the harness where maximum bending stresses would occur. The wires may have also shorted affecting the brake light operation, marker lamp operation, and numerous other functions as there are an estimated ten wires that run in parallel in this harness and all wire except two had multiple insulation defects that potentially resulting in shorts. This is a definite safety issue and all harnesses that have the potential for this type of failure should be replaced or repaired immediately.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 252010

Focus 4-cyl

Have had complete electrical failure 3 times with my car first time was at 12,500 miles, 2nd. 61 miles later and last week with 20,500 miles. Each time dealership told me that my alternator had gone bad. Wayne akers Ford, lake worth, fl put in the first two replacement alternators and car is now at an independent mechanic for a second opinion.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Rear passenger door won't lock. My wife "apparently" locked the car at work in an open parking lot and later went to retrieve something from back seat to find that the door was not locked. No indication was given when locking the car using the remote locking mechanism that there is an issue because it sounds like it is fully locked. It isn't. I checked the issue by having her drive up and down the road making sure she thought all doors were locked and while she had stopped, I opened the rear passenger door and jumped in the back seat much as an attacker or carjacker might do. This is a safety issue because anyone can jump in the back of the car while stopped at traffic lights even though the owner may think that the car is securely locked, it just might not be. Beware and check all your door locks on a regular basis as this seems to be reported on multiple occasions on Ford Focus internet forums. To this date, we have no idea when the actual locking mechanism failed as it is not something we, or any other driver would check on a regular basis.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jan 162013

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicles shifter button failed to engage. Initially discovered it was due to a blown fuse (#32.) after replacing, vehicle operated fine for a few days, but again shifter button failed to engage. Investigated on the internet and found out the blown fuse was due to cracked wiring insulation causing exposed wires in the rear hatch. Also learned this issue caused the rear tail and brake lights not to operate. Found multiple complaints on the internet regarding this same issue of which it was ultimately due to a design flaw because the wires on the rear wiring harness are too short.

- Burns Harbor, IN, USA

Nov 272009

Focus 4-cyl

The first incident of keys getting stuck in the ignition was on November 27, 2009 in Iowa. We live in Minnesota and had to go to the Ford dealership to have the ignition replaced for $485.91. Less than five years later on June 4, 2013 the keys got stuck in the ignition again. This time luckily we were at home. I researched online and found that this has been a problem well known to Ford since 2000, yet they refuse to fix the issue. After some more research I found a solution. There is a three ring piece between the shifter handle and the shaft. Simply push it back up toward the handle and presto the keys come out. This is a free solution. I am curious if I called Ford if they would tell me this solution or for that matter even fix the part since it is less than five years. Is it under warranty? another problem is our cd player has a cd stuck that we cannot get out. We were told that it would be cheaper to go to best buy and buy an upgraded one than to have a dealership fix it. At 85000 miles another problem is we had to get our heat shield replaced because it was rusting and about to fall off.

- Oakdale, MN, USA

May 112013

Focus 4-cyl

The rear passenger door does not lock on our 2006 Ford Focus ZX4. It opens and closes correctly. It just won't lock, even with child lock on. All other doors operate correctly. This door operated correctly before. We heard Ford had a problem with this on previous Focus models. Cut off was the year 2005 for this problem. We feel unsafe from this problem because we Transport our senior moms to shopping trips.

- Mars, PA, USA

Jun 252010

Focus 4-cyl

My 2006 Focus ZX5 started intermittantly unlocking the hatchback when I stepped on the brake pedal. I was driving on the freeway when I pulled over to take a phone call. I left the car in drive with my foot on the brake pedal. After about 5 minutes I completed my call and merged back into traffic. When I reached my destination I parked my car and got out. I returned to my car, started the engine and could not get the gear shift out of park. I had someone watch my brake lights while I stepped on the brake pedal. The lights did not work and I found the fuse for the brake lights was bad. I took a fuse from another circuit and got home. I had been driving for 20 miles with no brake lights. I took the car to a Ford dealer and they found a broken wire and 6 other wires with cracking insulation. They said they fixed the problem and the car worked ok. In January of 2013 I noticed after closing my hatchback and getting in the car my the "door open" indicator stayed on. I checked all doors and the hatchback and all were closed. After finding out on-line that there have been complaints about the Focus wiring since the 2000 models, I took off the carbody end of the rubber conduit to the hatchback. I found a broken wire (fixed my door open indicator problem when I repaired it) and 6 wires with black electical tape on them. I found that the electrical tape is wearing through just like the wire insulation did. I contacted the dealer and complained about the half ass repair they did. The service manager stated that was the repair authorized by the extended warranty. I asked what repair was authorized by the original warrenty and he said the same repair. Ford has known that this harness is a problem since 2000 and I was told they are still using the wiring in their 2013's. why haven't these cars been recalled!

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Aug 292012

Focus 4-cyl

Drivers side rear door electric door lock will not lock. The same thing happened on the passengers side about two years ago.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Mar 222011

Focus 4-cyl

The trunk light would not come on when trunk was opened (replacing the bulb didn't help). Later, the 'door open' dash light came on and stayed on. The electric trunk open button sometimes would not open trunk. A bit of troubleshooting with a vom at the trunk light pointed to an electrical problem (a voltage drop when a new bulb was placed in the trunk light socket). Turns out that the wiring bundle (containing six individual multistrand wire lines) had five of the wires lines fatigued apart, breaking the five circuits. The wire lines were sometimes making intermittent contact when the trunk was opened and closed, not necessarily with the matching wire line. I could hear noise as the wires were moved past each other (not sure if this was just physical scratching or, worse, electrical sparking). Since I sometimes carry a gasoline container in the trunk (lawnmower gas container returning from gas station), I feel that the design of this wiring to the trunk is faulty and could lead to a fire under the right (and not uncommon) circumstances. After several conversations with the Ford Motor Co., a repair was made (I partially paid for the repair) where the wiring was replaced. I am not sure if the repair will be any safer than the original design; hence this complaint with the hope that a safer design (e.g., one without such a tight radius of bend) could developed and retrofitted into this car.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Oct 102010

Key sticks in ignition.

- Fort Madison, IA, USA

Jun 232010

Key stuck in ignition.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 152009

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 yellow airbag light on dash went on and remained on. Diagnosed as high resistance in wiring system, makes safety-airbag- system inoperative. Dangerous. Repaired by Ford dealer under 5 year warranty by replacement of clockspring{wiring plastictape} in steering wheel hub. To determine severity of problem check Ford replacement parts records.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Sep 162009

About half to 3/4 of the time my ignition will not start on my Ford Focus. This presents a major problem when I am away from the home and my car will not start due to ignition switch problems. At times I have to turn the key 20-50 times for the car to come on. I am 76 years old and this is a major issue for me. I don't want to even drive my car for fear that I will not be able to re-start it.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Aug 292008

The fuse for the running lamps kept blowing. A few days later I smelt a burning smell, pulled over, turned off the car, removed key, but car was still running. A few days later, battery light kept flashing, turns out, the alternator was fried. Took it to Ford, was told there was nothing they could do because my powertrain warranty does not cover electrical work. Took it to an electrician, was told a few wires touched metal and fused together and burnt all the way back to the firewall. When you look at the wires, there is metal sitting under them....there are no clips to help hold the wires away from the metal. There is some form of protection on the wires, I describe it as a foam...but its worn through. When I asked him how this could have happened, he replied with "going over bumps, railroad tracks, or hitting a pothole. He also told me it was a fire hazard. As a consequence to this, my car is now just sitting, and I will not drive it with it being labeled a fire hazard. Nothing was done to correct the failure.

- Bonneau, SC, USA

Mar 082009

My key became locked in the ignition and could not be removed while on vacation. I could turn the car on and drive it but could not remove it, therefore had to end vacation early to take care to local dealership. The car was 75 days out of warranty and I had no choice but to fix this- costing me over $300. They (Ford) said it was the safety switch in the shifter. Vehicle had a little over 18,000 miles. The car was purchased used from an estate of a lady who had only driven 8,000 miles.

- Vancleave, MS, USA

May 172009

The key has become stuck in the ignition and will not come out because the car does not think it is park even though it is parked. The dealer insist that there was a soda spilled on the ignition and this resulted in the chip in the ignition shorting out. This key has been stuck since may and has only come out of the ignition once since then! the dealership says that they have to order this part and change out the ignition to fix it. So far, this problem has not been resolved and we cannot lock all of the doors because of this.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA