2006 Ford Focus fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Focus:

2006 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jul 072009

Focus

Have problem with gas pedal sticking since vehicle was 2 years old, had Ford dealership fix it under warranty which they cleaned sticking throttle body. Unit sticking again after a few months and Ford replaced it with new one which I paid over 500 dollars out of pocket after warranty was up. After a year throttle body sticking again which causes high idle problem until vehicle comes to a stop then idle turns to normal RPM's.

- Mount Vernon, WA, USA

Dec 052014

Focus

Gas pedal started sticking irregularly at around 30,000 miles, even at low speeds. Was very sporadic. Most recent event happened 12/5/2014 when gas pedal was frozen completely while traveling at 70 mph. It wouldn't budge. Then I put my foot on the lowest edge of the pedal and it started working again. If you google "Ford Focus gas pedal sticks", there are numerous complaints. The throttle body is the apparent cause. Ford should recall these vehicles due to the number of complaints online.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Aug 182014

Focus

Driving down the street and vehicle just stopped running/died. It has been at the dealer for almost two weeks and they haven't figured it out yet. No call, same run around when I call about update....

- Hartville, OH, USA

Jan 052013

Focus 4-cyl

My 2006 Ford Focus had a gas pedal sticking on two occasions. The dealer eventually figured out the throttle cable from the cruise control had kinked. The result is a pedal that completely stops and freezes. It feels like it is a lead weight. The car temporarily has no acceleration. In a congested traffic area this is an extremely dangerous situation. It most likely only happens at high speeds, because of where the kink is. This happened with no warning. There appears to be similar events happening to other owners. The dealer did not offer to fix the cable (post warrantee), but did disconnect it, after I paid $100 diagnoses. The problem has not re-occurred yet.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 292012

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle gas peddle stick wide open about 6000 RPM cold out side with snow, 10 degrees F. young girl 2 years of driving experience drove out of control until told to shut engine off and put in neutral. Dropped off at certified mechanic he cleaned carburetor tried to look at control cable things checked out fine. No warning codes came up. Drove he next day after picking up 10 degrees F, same issue sticking accelerator. I look again at in take cleaned it out again, issue happened again but not as bad. Very dangerous for a young girl with 2 years driving experience.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Sep 152012

Focus 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 5 speed. I have had to replace the clutch master cylinder 3 times within a years time. The problem is the part is plastic and over time it starts to leak due to the pressure it takes to change gears. I'm in rush hour traffic daily and having to stop and start. The master cylinder shares fluid from the brake reservoir. I have had low to non existent braking power. The master clutch has leaked inside my car and oil dripped onto the clutch and brake peddles causing foot slippage. The latest situations I was stuck in traffic, stop and go, and began having problems getting the car in gear. Next I was backing up slowly when I experienced no clutch peddle and the car began speeding up I could not get it out of gear I had to shutdown the engine to stop the car from pulling and get it out of gear. The car idles high when I come to a light or stop sign and eventually comes down. The gas peddle sticks in cooler weather. There are times when I'm in traffic I have to press really hard.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA