2007 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Focus:

2007 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 312016

On 5/31/16 while driving on highway 13 vehicle accelerated on its own, gas pedal went to the floor, brakes pedal was hard as a rock and could not be depress to slow vehicle down, shifting gears cause the engine to race, pulling emergency brake did not slow the vehicle down.. managed to take an off-ramp off the highway, stopping the vehicle by running into some hedges and a tree. Oakland police incident number is 162.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Problems with car accelerating on its own, when driving, it picks up speed, rpms increase and continues even with foot off the gas pedal. Have to hold down on brakes as hard as possible, while car is still accelerating at same time so I will not cause accident. Have to put in park- but then engine revs up to over 6rpms. Took back to dealership twice within first few months of purchase. They stated they cleaned and adjusted the throttle body and second time, they stated they took the complete throttle body assembly apart. Within a few months I was having same issues. When I explained how unsafe I felt driving this car, they just said "well dont drive it". they said that I could bring it in again, but would be charged for any repairs. Iam now fearful every time I drive this car now. I no longer drive the interstates, stay on city streets, driving slower. At this point, I am ready to just drop car back at lot and take my chances with repercussions of breaking a contract; its better than risking my life and others on the road.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 162016

I am driving on the highway, and the used car I just bought with in the last week is shuddering, jerking, and slip out of gear. It only had one owner, and a little over 56,000 miles. Now I have only put 125 miles on it, and it does this. Since it slows down quickly with a fierce jerk of the car, I was lucky and did not cause an accident because of the problem, and other cars behind me slamming on there brakes.

- Windsor Heights, WV, USA

Nov 102014

Focus 4-cyl

My gas pedal is sticking. I notice this in 2014 when it got could and now it is doing the same thing now, even when it is not cold.

- Conway, SC, USA

Dec 162013

Focus 4-cyl

Anytime the temperature becomes cold out, the gas pedal will not budge; no matter how hard you stomp on it. My remedy has been to turn the floor board heater on full blast for about 20 mins.; if I am lucky, this will release the pedal and I am able to push it down to accelerate. (this problem only happens when it is cold out side, I have not experienced it during the warm months; as of yet.) I bought my vehicle at marshal mize Ford, hixson, tn, so I phoned them regarding the issue after I read the nc report and gave them the consumer satisfaction program 13N03 information. The reply I received was, "there is no recall on your vehicle. However; if you bring it in, we could find out exactly what the issue is but you will be charged a diagnostic fee. If the throttle assembly is the problem, it will be around $304 plus labor."

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Nov 242014

My throttle has stuck open on my Ford Focus hatchback several times since right before thanksgiving. It is being checked at my dealership currently, and was checked after thanksgiving for any problems, but they were unable to find anything mechanically wrong. The problem went away during warmer weather, but has since returned.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 222014

Focus 4-cyl

While attempting to stop the vehicle, the throttle stuck open and the engine ran over 2,000 RPM. It was difficult to stop and almost caused the car to rear end stopped traffic.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Aug 242013

Focus 4-cyl

NHTSA 10023297 contents re: Negative battery cable corrosion, subsequent heavier gauge ref. P/N 14300 / 14301 oem history of alternator/battery replacement beyond normal due to corrosion of cabling FOIA the Freedom Of Information Act, or FOIA (5 U.S.C. 552, as amended), generally provides any person with the statutory right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to government information in executive branch Agency records. This right to access is limited when information is protected from disclosure by one of FOIA?S nine statutory exemptions. Federal register publications, including the website and the various editions of the daily federal register, the code of federal regulations (cfr), federal register/cfr indexes, and the public laws posted on the federal digital system ( are not subject to the request for records provisions of the FOIA. Under the FOIA, our publications are made available to the public through numerous sources, including this website, gpo?S website, the gpo book sales program, and nearly 1,250 government depository libraries located throughout the nation. For more information, see the national archives and records administration Freedom Of Information Act reference guide. This guide provides instructions for obtaining information from us (for both operational and historical records) using the Freedom Of Information Act. Learn more about our FOIA regulations (36 cfr 1250). Read the text of the Freedom Of Information Act (5 U.S.C. 552).

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 282014

Focus 4-cyl

Cpsc:I1430512A. 2007 Ford Focus. Consumer stated the car rev's up and accelerated with her out foot being on the gas. The consumer stated she had to apply both feet to the brake, in order to stop the vehicle.

- Lecompton, KS, USA

Sep 252012

Focus 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while sitting at a traffic stop, the vehicle accelerated independently and without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be replicated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions for the same failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 37,000.

- Englewood, FL, USA

Dec 092009

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Focus. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph and depressed the accelerator pedal however, the vehicle would not respond until after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body was replaced. The failure recurred four times and the throttle body was replaced each time. The manufacturer was notified of the most recent failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Scandia , MN, USA

Sep 072011

When slowing down (coasting or breaking) the accelerator hangs. It will hold at a constant RPM (between 2500 and 4000, different each time) I have to put the car in neutral and depress the throttle all the way several times. I checked the throttle cable and there is still tension on it so it is not mechanical between the pedal and the throttle body. Almost seems like a neutral sensor.

- Beaver Falls, PA, USA

Jun 152011

Focus 4-cyl

This has happened many times (20+) where I slow down to stop and it accelerates almost causing an accident. I have to throw it into neutural and hit the gas peddle a few times to bring it back down to idle and once I couldn't get it back down so I had to shut the engine off and restart the car. I took it to the Ford dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. This is a serious flaw and real scary when it happens!! I've seen other complaints with the exact same issue too!

- Nunda, NY, USA

Mar 122011

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle would accelerate abnormally and without warning. The contact would depress the brake pedal but the vehicle refused to stop. The contact then turned the vehicle off while the vehicle was still in motion. The contact turned the vehicle back on and the vehicle began to perform as normal. A local mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The dealer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 60,601...updated 04/11/12

- Orange, CA, USA

Nov 152011

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, she attempted to apply pressure to the accelerator pedal but the pedal would not respond. The contact was able to successfully operate the accelerator pedal after applying heavy pressure. The failure had since recurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that this was a known failure. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 83,335.

- Navarre, OH, USA

Sep 042011

Focus 4-cyl

Premature and uneven wearing on original tires (parelli) accident due failure to control and/or stop the vehicle before hitting another car. Over 6,000 dollars in damage to my vehicle and whip lash.

- Perry, GA, USA

Dec 052010

Focus 4-cyl

The accelerator on my 2007 Ford Focus station wagon with 50,000 miles began sticking when the temperature goes below 40. I press on the pedal and it won't move, then it jumps down and moves quickly. According to the Ford dealer, an electronic piece, the throttle body failed. According to them, Ford is not manufacturing that part and the car can not be repaired until they find a new supplier, possibly end of January. It has been sitting at the dealership since Dec 6 with a sticking accelerator and is not now currently safe to drive or fixable.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Apr 212009

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Focus. While starting the vehicle, it accelerated to 60 mph and the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The dealer stated that the engine detects the pressure on the accelerator and automatically accelerates to 60 mph. The dealer is currently replacing the valve to correct the problem and stated that this is a common occurrence in this year, make and model vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Landolake, FL, USA

Dec 202007

I have two problems with design flaws in my 2007 Ford Focus sse: (1).because of where the door lock is located, just above the door handles (front driver and passenger sides) all the doors will lock at times and you don't realize it when you open, get out, then close the door. Most often in situations where you have left the motor running with the key now locked inside. This happens because of coming in contact with this lock with your fingers or hand while opening the door with the handle. This has occurred on several occasions despite now knowing what causes the problem. This is a complete nuisance and dangerous if children would happen to be left in the car with the engine running and the doors locked and no second key on hand. (2). The second problem I have with the automobile is I have experienced the "Audi effect" where the car accelerates on occasion when braking. This I also ascribe to a design flaw: The brake pedal and gas pedal are placed too close together and at a relative close height to one another. After taking the defensive position, in a potential braking situation, if you have to depress the brake quickly and hard, the car accelerates. This takes you completely by suprise and it takes time to respond. I have been driving the same way for 45 years, with many vehicles, and this is the first time I have experienced this problem. Luckily the car sat most of the winter because of the problem I described previously and no one had this experience on snow covered or icy roads. I brought this up at the end of April in a visit to the dealer and was told to file a complaint by service manager steve lovalvo. I want to bring both of these defects to your attention because I feel that I have leased a lemon that has problems that cannot be serviced by the dealership and presents potential problems for many other drivers also.

- Belding, MI, USA

Jul 212008

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated and remained lit on the instrument panel, which indicated that the air bag would not deploy. The cruise control does not disengage properly. In addition, the driver side door does not unlock properly or on a consistent basis. The current mileage was 14,000 and failure mileage was 6,523.update 09/10/08 doors do not lock properly. Updated 09/16/08.

- Bainbridge, NY, USA