2007 Ford Focus lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Focus:

2007 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 242013

Focus 4-cyl

NHTSA 10023297 contents re: Negative battery cable corrosion, subsequent heavier gauge ref. P/N 14300 / 14301 oem history of alternator/battery replacement beyond normal due to corrosion of cabling FOIA the Freedom Of Information Act, or FOIA (5 U.S.C. 552, as amended), generally provides any person with the statutory right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to government information in executive branch Agency records. This right to access is limited when information is protected from disclosure by one of FOIA?S nine statutory exemptions. Federal register publications, including the website and the various editions of the daily federal register, the code of federal regulations (cfr), federal register/cfr indexes, and the public laws posted on the federal digital system ( are not subject to the request for records provisions of the FOIA. Under the FOIA, our publications are made available to the public through numerous sources, including this website, gpo?S website, the gpo book sales program, and nearly 1,250 government depository libraries located throughout the nation. For more information, see the national archives and records administration Freedom Of Information Act reference guide. This guide provides instructions for obtaining information from us (for both operational and historical records) using the Freedom Of Information Act. Learn more about our FOIA regulations (36 cfr 1250). Read the text of the Freedom Of Information Act (5 U.S.C. 552).

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 172014

Without any indication of a low battery, the car began to lose electrical power while driving. At first, I was on my way to work when I noticed my radio stopped playing. Upon looking at my radio, I realized the lights were completely off, including the clock--which stays on even if I turn the radio off. I noticed I was very cold, and my defrost had stopped working. Thinking it was hopefully just a blown fuse, I continued on my way to work, driving cautiously. My car did sound like it was not shifting gears as much as it should have been. I made it to work fine, and even checked on it during my lunch hour--it started up fine, lights and everything was working, with no indicator lights illuminating on the dash. Thinking it was fine, I drove home that night with the intention of bringing it to the shop to check the battery over the weekend. While driving home (in the dark) that evening, I made it almost to my apartment. I noticed again that my radio suddenly stopped playing. I looked at the radio, at which point I saw the text display "low battery." I began to notice everything dimming--the dashboard, interior lights, and even my headlights. I was close enough to get to my apartment ok. The next morning I had an appointment to get to the shop. After reading the other complaints of similar drivers of 2007 Ford focuses having identical issues, I was nervous about driving to the shop. Not knowing if my car would suddenly die on me, and if I would be able to use my hazard lights, or turn signals to indicate to other drivers if my battery started to go again. Luckily my car made it the 3.1 miles to the shop, before giving out. Same thing--no earlier indications that the battery was low, the power just starts shutting down. This is incredibly dangerous, and I was lucky that I read up on the issue and was only driving locally, and not on a highway.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Dec 272012

Dashboard and running lights going out. Replaced blown fuse and then fuse blows again. Opening and closing the hatchback the lights came on and then off again and the replaced fuse was blown. Located a bundle of wires within a rubber hose that runs from the interior roof headline outer rim of the vehicle across to the interior top of the hatchback. We pulled down this rubber protector to find to our complete amazement that the bundle of wires that run to the hatchback brake light and the hatchback windshield wiper was broken and burnt. Thought that there was a possible loose connection that just needed to be snapped back together, but only to find a bundle of broken and burnt wires wrapped tightly together, plus there was no black wiring tape around the wires for extra protection. Just the wires tightly bound together. Little to none flexibility for the bending or movement for these wires. These wires are located in an area where there would be movement due to opening and closing the hatchback. Contacted the local dealership and spoke with the service manager. He stated that the wire bundle have been made short in some vehicles. Our concern:potential fire hazard and still maybe until fixed; concern are for other individuals who may own this type of vehicle that may be transporting passengers (to include children in car seats) in the back seat (which there is no back side passenger doors) that could have a difficult time exiting this vehicle should it go on fire due to these bundle of wires possibly catching on fire and igniting the interior roof headliner of the vehicle. We have not taken our vehicle into the dealership as we are waiting on a response from Ford Motor Company. Additionally, the dealership stated that we would have to pay a portion to repair (what we believe to be a faulty design and defect) to correct this problem. Pictures available. ## VIN failed ##

- Anchorage, AK, USA

May 122010

1) ignition lock failure. Unable to remove key or turn key. 2) melting of both rear taillamp housing around bulb socket area; unable to replace or remove bulb. Dealer says it is from the heat from the bulb!

- Lancaster, VA, USA

Feb 142010

Ford Focus station wagon tail light over heating and bulb fusing to plastic light.

- Memramcook, 00, USA

Jan 202010

2007 Ford Focus wagon with all the wires (about 10 of them) in the body to liftgate wiring harness cracked or broken. Found due to brake lamp fuse blowing repeatedly, causing loss of all brake lights and A/T shift lever interlock operation. It might have gone unnoticed if it wasn't for the interlock not working. Car is off warranty so Ford will not fix unless I pay for it. This is a definite safety item in my opinion. I will replace the wires myself as I am an aircraft electrician. I will use a better quality wire too. The stuff Ford uses is not meant to move and flex repeatedly. Wiring should last the life of a car.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 182009

While driving car, lost power, eventually lost all power. No indication present (red batt indicator never came on) Ford service manager says this is normal for Ford cars of all makes, trucks seem to work better. Cause was alternator putting out 0 charge to battery. Also, Ford service manager revealed alternators are expected to last only 3-5 years, due to heat build up and no cooling provision for alternator. This is an unsatisfactory safety issue on both counts. Ford should be required to make battery warning work reliably in all cars, and provision/design change to enable alternators to cool themselves and last to normal eol (5 yrs/100K miles). Loss of power unexpectedly risks passenger and drivers safety as I had no external indicators, blinkers or brake lights available at 60 mph on highway.

- Falls City, OR, USA

Jan 092007

The vehicle we had has had the headlights replaced on it seven time and the company refuse to talk to us about this matter.

- Greenacres, FM, USA