CarComplaints.com Notes: Even though the first model year of a major redesign should typically be avoided, Ford did a good job & the 2008 Ford Focus doesn't appear to have any major defects.

That said, the following model years of this 2nd generation Focus (2009-2011) do appear to be slightly better.

1.8

2008 Ford Focus brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Focus:

2008 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jun 142016

Focus

On three separate occasions when applying brakes and hitting a bump at the same time the petal went almost to the floor. The fourth time the petal dropped nearly to the floor during hard braking. With the engine off pumping the brakes a couple of times the petal came firmly to the top. Applying pressure to the petal and turning on the engine the petal dropped nearly to the floor. Pumping the petal several times returned the petal to the normal operating position.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 012017

Focus

Spongy braking issues, recently the brakes on my 2008 Ford Focus have become very spongy, I took it in to Firestone and they could not find the problem. They said that my front and rear brakes were perfectly normal, but being that I drive my vehicle everyday I know that something is up. I am finding it hard to stop at red lights and on the highway. It's almost to the point where I have to press the brake peddle the floor to get the vehicle to stop. The mechanic said that it may be the master cylinder or a combination of other things, but one thing is true Ford needs to do a recall on this issue before someone dies or gets hurt. I pray this does not fall on deaf ears and action is taken!!

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Focus. While driving over a bump at various speeds, the contact had to firmly depress the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. An independent mechanic replaced the brakes on the vehicle, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Malden , MA, USA

Apr 292014

Focus 4-cyl

Bought this car 4 years ago with 18,000 miles on it. I have 41,000 miles on it and the ABS hydraulic pump is leaking. Cost to repair is a thousand. Not a happy camper.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA