2008 Ford Focus brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Focus:

2008 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Nov 082011

Focus 4-cyl

Because "incident" date is required, I put today's date, but this complaint is about a continuous condition. As far as I know, the problem has existed since the car was new. The parking brake always freezes (will not release) at temperatures below 20 degrees (sometimes warmer). Use of the parking brake during winter months results in driving with brake set, with obvious dangers. Not using the parking brake during winter months sometimes results in vehicle left idling with no brake set (there are times, in Alaska, when it is not safe to shut down the engine, because of the need to maintain lighting) with obvious dangers. I have had the cable replaced, to no effect. I am 62 years old, and while I have heard of parking brakes freezing, this is the first vehicle I have ever owned (or driven, for that matter) that ever actually exhibited this problem.

- Chugiak, AK, USA