2009 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Focus:

2009 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112016

Driving on highway in rush hour traffic at 65 miles an hour when suddenly losing throttle control down to 35 miles an hour the gas pedal would not respond. Yellow wrench light and wavy car warning lights appeared. Coasted to side of the road and sat for 10 minutes. Started car and tested pedal. Eased back on freeway. Scared to drive this car.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 072016

The throttle control light has begun going off ( twice now) but once turned off and turned back on it does not come on. When it comes on it looses power and there are issues with acceleration. It has only done it after a long drive and going (moving) at a normal pace of about 45 to 55 miles and hour. It has not gone off at a time that allows it to be diagnosed by a professional and they have not been able to get it to register when hooked to the computer, . the light is no longer on and does not not illuminate in around town driving.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

May 042016

Driving at 45 mph suddenly lost acceleration, wrench light illuminated. The car continued to run but extremely scary. Then you regained acceleration and continued only to lose it repeatedly. Took car to have diagnostics run, but the light went off and they could not diagnose a problem.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 122015

The car had been running perfect then after a motor mount was replaced the car started then went dead immediately. The car will turn over but it isn't firing right now it gave no warning. The computer read a throttle actuator trouble code and that's all. The car will keep turning over after I release the key it has not done this before now we had some trouble with the ignition locking up and we have to turn it really hard to start get the key in the starting position. The ignition system is one of the problems and the throttle body will update when I find out more.

- Gilbertown, AL, USA

Jul 292015

I had $2765 worth of transmission repair on a 2009 Ford Focus transmission with 81,000 miles on it. The car was properly serviced. I purchased a piece of junk.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Aug 032015

Driving on freeway at steady 70mph, engine dropped to idle speed. No prior indication of trouble. Vehicle was slowing down. Wrench light was on. Accelerator pedal had no effect. I put in the clutch pedal, and coasted until I reached an area area where I could pull off to the side. This was in a tight construction area. Fortunately, I was in the right lane and not near other vehicles at the time of the incident. Otherwise the outcome might have been very different. When I was stopped, the engine continued to run, but accelerator had no effect. With no alternative, I shut off the engine. I then started the engine. Operation appeared normal with no wrench light on. I got off the freeway and checked connected my code reader. No diagnostic codes. During some subsequent driving, there have been no further events or indication of problems. I am getting a Ford oem throttle body to replace my existing. This is apparently a known Ford problem that has avoided a recall despite the potential dangers associated with this type of failure.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 272015

I was driving approximately 60 mph on the highway (in the far left lane) with cruise control on when my car suddenly appeared to die and the wrench light came on.the car began to decelerate and would not accelerate regardless of how hard I pressed down on the gas pedal. I then had to Dodge traffic as I attempted to pull off to the right side of the road (across two lanes during traffic) while my car continued to decelerate. This, at first, happened rarely, but now occurs 2-3 times every time I drive as much as 15 miles. I have read countless forums about others with the same car having the exact same problems, and yet Ford is doing absolutely nothing about it. This can be an extremely terrifying and potentially dangerous in the right circumstances. Far too many people are having throttle body/actuator problems for this not to be a design flaw on Ford's part, and, from what I've heard, they're refusing to honor others' warranties. I just so happen to be just outside my warranty; what a "coincidence." I'm now looking at a $600 out of pocket repair I simply can't afford at this time. So instead I'm forced to continually look forward to having my car suddenly die in the middle of highway traffic.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Apr 012015

On cold start RPM's fluctuate several hundred RPM's. brought to dealership but no codes were present. Tech suspected dirty throttle body. Part not under warranty because no codes when scanned. Problem continues especially on cold start but occasionally while in drive at a stop.

- Norton, MA, USA

Nov 102010

I purchased my vehicle in 2010, at the time the vehicle had 37,000 miles. A less than a month later the transmission failed. It would not move in any gear, when I placed my foot on the gas it would not move but then it jolted with great force. It also grinds really hard when you're shifting gears. I called the dealer and they agreed to fix the vehicle. I was told that a new transmission was put in the car. About a year later the same problem with the transmission happened. The car was stopped and would not move in any gear. I took it to Ford again and they said a bolt was loose and they fixed it. A few days later the same problem I took it back to Ford and they found that there were metal shavings in the transmission. Yesterday my wrench light came on and my transmission is doing the same thing it did the first two times. Since purchasing the vehicle a little over 5 years ago I have put less 35,000 miles on this car. It should not be having transmission issues. The transmission is the only problem I've had and continue to have with this vehicle.I I am very concerned about this issue and do not feel safe driving my vehicle. I do not understand why this issue keeps happening.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 112012

Focus 4-cyl

Automatic transmission was slipping out of gear. Car would be running at about 40 mph and the RPM would increase and whir. Car would lose speed and slow down then speed up again. Car was only three years old with 45+ miles on it and transmission was replaced at no cost to owner. (under warranty) now in December 2014, the replaced transmission with 35+ miles and two years, failing again. Gears slipping and car unable to drive safely. Car parked in owner's driveway. Dealer contacted and will not cover replacement of new transmission. Why should a five year old car be in need of it's third transmission?

- Lucas, TX, USA

Oct 062014

Focus 4-cyl

While starting to drive out of the driveway and down the neighborhood street, the vehicle began to stall, the "wrench" light came on the instrument panel, and the vehicle had to be immediately returned home. Restarting the vehicle later in the day, the issue was gone. The issue happened again in the driveway after starting the vehicle. A call was made to the nearest dealership to schedule a repair. The issue happened again, while attempting to drive the vehicle to the dealer for repair. Three separate times the vehicle had to be shifted in neutral to restart the car during a three mile drive.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Dec 192013

The car was on the interstate traveling at 55 mph ; the engine stalled and restarted, when existing to see whether it would gain speed, the car slipped out of gear. It went into reverse, backing up. After trying to correct it. The car sped up almost causing a major accident, the car restarted with the shift out of drive, I drove the car three blocks to my home. I left the car wherever it stopped, the next day, I tried to drive it; the car placed in drive went in reverse backing up. I left it there and had wrecker company to take it to a transmission shop on union avenue. They inspected the car and said it would take $2,0000 to get the transmission repaired. Since, the car was under engine warranty from Acura dealers of memphis, I had the wrecking company to take the car back to the dealership. They sold me a 2013 Toyota corolla which is experiencing the same problem. Now, I have another car from the sane dealership which apparently sells used cars with transmission problems.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 202014

At any random moment, the car's wrench light comes on and the car either dies or begins to run horribly. This can happen in town or on the highway - accelerating or on cruise control - it doesn't matter. Turning the car off (if it didn't die) and turning it back on, the wrench light goes off and the car runs again. Code indicates a throttle body issue but after taking it to a mechanic twice, they have not been able to get a code or figure out the issue. This has been going on for over a year. This can really be a dangerous issue if it happens while passing or turning into an intersection. Etc.

- Rosalia, KS, USA

May 012013

Car randomly goes into "limp mode" while driving, usually at highway speeds. Wrench light goes on indicating a throttle body issue. This has occurred about 10 times now over the past few months. After turning car off, then on again, there is no longer a light and car runs fine. Twice I've taken the car in after such an occurrence and neither the dealership or local mechanic could find any indication of a error light.

- Fenton, MI, USA

May 062014

Focus 4-cyl

My car lost power as I was driving down the street. I was pressing the accelerator, but the car was not receiving any power. I was told my throttle body was defective. I have seen where other Ford models manufactured during this time have had the same problem, and a warranty extension has been granted. Why not on this vehicle as well?

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Apr 222014

Focus 4-cyl

As I was traveling down the highway the throttle suddenly and unexpectedly stopped working.(thankfully I was not in heavy traffic at the time.) I coasted the car over to the side of the highway. The car remained idling, however I still had no throttle control. The wrench light was on. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes and restarted the car. The wrench light was off and I once again had throttle control. I eased the car back onto the highway but noticed the car had difficulty holding a constant and steady speed. There were intermittent subtle surges and pauses in the speed. Once I reached my destination I had a Ford dealership run a diagnostics on the car and they could not find any codes or problems with the car. I thoroughly researched this issue and found others were having similar problems and it was related to the throttle sensor. I had contacted a number of national parts suppliers and they could not sell me just the sensor but would have to sell me the entire throttle body. I contacted the Ford dealer and they had a throttle position sensor. Since replacing the throttle sensor I have put over 1200 miles on the vehicle and have had to this point no more problems with throttle control.

- Weston, WI, USA

Apr 132011

Wrench light came on when starting...and went off..gradually came on and stayed on until I turned off engine and restarted...bob ridings Ford here in Decatur said they could not check it unless the wrench light stayed on...which never happened...gradually the light would come on when car was being driven...and stalled down at a place I could not get off road to restart...luckily not in heavy traffic which could have caused an accident. Next the wrench light went off and the engine light came on...before I could get it to the garage to be checked, all the lights went off...said palmer from palmer tire and auto checked it and got one code which he tried to get Ford to help him with..before he could hear back (if ever he would have) I took it to bob ridings in taylorville (I had bad experience with one in Decatur)and they called said to get his diagnosis..and discussed the fact that both had replaced throttle control on other Focus cars which Ford motor did not recommend doing! this cost me $569.10 which I believe would have been under warranty if it had been repaired in 2011; and this should have been a recall as it is a dangerous condition when driving in traffic., I think Ford owes me...and probably others...and is a problem warranting a recall! I guessed at mileage and time but know this problem occurred the year after I bought the car and it only had 9000 miles on it when I purchased it...making it have around 15,000 when problem began.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Nov 242013

Focus 4-cyl

While transitioning from one road to another, the vehicle suddenly lost power. When trying to accelerate, the vehicle reached approximately 5000 rpms and did not reach a speed above 20mph. This continued to occur at each stopping point. The engine would then "kick" and normal driving capabilities would be restored briefly.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 172013

While driving at a steady speed the car lost power, the tach dropped to 1,000 RPM. The yellow wrench light came on. Car started slowing down. Pressed accelerator and nothing happened. Car would not respond at all. Pulled off the road into a parking lot. Took car out of gear and the idle started to vary from 500 to 1500. Shut the car off. A few seconds later started it up and was able to drive home without incident. It has occurred on four more occasions since then. Most recently 2 weeks ago.

- Poulsbo, WA, USA

Jul 162013

Focus 4-cyl

On the freeway going approx 45 mph in the pouring rain; changed lanes, brake a bit to 35. Happened as I sped back up, orange wrench appeared and car began to slow down to about 10 mph till I got to a service station directly off the freeway. Sat for about 8 min. Started up and drove home with no incident. Two days later happened again. This time inching along trying to change freeways. Got to emg lane and sat about five min. Started up and got home with no problem. Only 16 miles between home and work - all freeway.

- Houston, TX, USA