3.5

2010 Ford Focus accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Focus:

2010 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 282016

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While the vehicle was parked, the front passenger side and rear driver side doors failed to lock. There was no warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Alpha, MN, USA

Jul 012015

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the rear passenger side door would not open from inside or outside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the locking mechanism was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Ukiah, CA, USA

Aug 132012

Focus

The doors, randomly, do not unlock. Every door has had this issue...randomly. The weather is not the issue, this has happened in all types of weather. I have researched this, via google, and I am not the first to report this. Why has there not been a recall fix" the passenger side back door has not unlocked for three weeks. Today the drivers side door will not unlock, causing me to have to climb over to exit through the passenger side door...not safe. I called the dealer, no surprise, they had heard of this issue. From what I have read, I expect to be charged, between $400 & $1200 to fix a manufactures defect...so very wrong! nor will I be paying for it! again, what good does it do to report this thousands of times, when this has been happening for at least 15 years, at a cost to the consumers"

- La Grande, OR, USA

Nov 032014

Focus

The back door locks will not unlock; I have tried to change the "child proof lock" to be disengaged, but how do you get the door open to even change it if the door won't unlock. This happens on and off; not all the time; sometimes the door will open; sometimes they won't. this is very dangerous if you needed to get out of the vehicle in an emergency. Was there a recall on these doors? thank you.

- Milroy, PA, USA

Mar 042014

Focus 4-cyl

The rear doors will not unlock from either the inside nor outside.

- Kalispell, MT, USA

Feb 032014

Focus

My car locks fine, but sometimes different doors will not unlock. It started with the driver's side rear door, one day it just wouldn't unlock with the key fob or manual. It has now done this with all the doors except the driver door. My concern is that when this happens, whichever door it is cannot be opened, so what happens if I'm either locked out of my vehicle or I'm locked in during a crash?

- Claudville, VA, USA

Jun 152011

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that after parking, all of the doors failed to unlock. The failure recurred intermittently and on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the door motors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Baker City , OR, USA

Apr 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 12 mph, the power door locks activated independently. The rear doors could not be unlocked. Most recently, the driver's door failed to unlock until after several attempts were made by the contact. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Wabash, AR, USA

Feb 012011

Focus 4-cyl

I bought this car in 2010. A few months later my children said they couldn't get out of the car even though I had opened my door. I tried to manualy unlock this door and was unable. I made an appointment to get it fixed but on arrival at Ford service it had started working again. When it happened again I made the same appointment this time they saw the problem for themselves. They could not diagnose the problem but knew it was a safety issue and therefore changed the door actuator, latch and linkage.it worked for a while and then failed again along with two other doors. Ford service department was stumped. They then change all the door actuators, latches and linkage still not knowing what happened. Some more time passed and then an all door lock failure happed. Same thing all locks stuck in lock position unable to unlock with keypad, interior doors switch or manually. With there hand in the air unable to find out what was wrong they put all new updated actuators, latches and linkage in all doors.this worked for a much longer period of time and just recently jammed in lock position again. I brought it to my salesman and he wrote a report and we got another appointment to get it fixed again.the day before I brought it in it started working again and like they always tell me ' it has to me malfunctioning in front of us ". this has been an on going problem since I bought this car. I have had serious issues regarding people not being able to get out in a medical condition situation and my locks were stuck.now my warranty is up in a few months and they have told me I will have to pay for parts and labor as soon as that happens again.I tried to get a warranty extension just on the locks and just until they figure out this ongoing safety issue but Ford Motor Company wouldn't here of it even mocking my safety concerns on the phone.Ford knows there is more to this problem!!

- Pendleton, OR, USA

May 102013

Focus 4-cyl

Rear doors will not lock or unlock. Started out intermittent problem, now they are permanently shut and locked. Will not respond to key fob or power lock button. Unable to pull up the manual locking knob; it's frozen in place. Basically the rear seat is now useless as I can't access it.

- Assaria, KS, USA

Sep 012011

Focus 4-cyl

First automatic power door lock problem: The passenger side door lock would not respond to fob, interior door lock opener or manual intervention. Repair shop checked fuse, checked good. Scheduled appointment for repair. Started working again after I left the Ford dealership. Second automatic power door lock problem: 21649 miles. The passenger side rear door lock would not respond to fob, interior door lock opener or manual intervention. Shop notes: Customer states pass rear door will not unlock, service writer verified. Happens when hot out, works when cool in the morning. Failed door latch right rear, test verified pinpoint test lead to latch replaced right rear door lock latch assemble 901. Third power door lock failure. Mileage 49826, the driver side rear door lock would not respond to fob, interior door lock opener or manual intervention. 4/29/2013 returned to dealership, service writer verified, scheduled service appointment for 5/1/2013. This is a safety issue. If drivers door lock fails and driver needs emergency exit of vehicle, driver could not exit. We also own a 2010 Ford Fusion with approximately same mileage and had no problems with it. Ford could re-engineer the 2010 Focus power door locks like the ones they engineered for the 2010 Fusion and replace all locks upon failure of first lock. I found 14 other reports of failures of power locks on the 2010 Ford Focus. I didn't report this until my third failure. I would thus assume for every reported failure, there are over 100 not reported, maybe more. This is a safety issue and needs additional action by the Ford Motor Company.

- Cheney, WA, USA

Oct 122011

Focus 4-cyl

We have taken our car to the Ford service center no less than six times because the interior door locks will not unlock (power locks). There is not a manual way to unlock the doors. Our teenage daughter drives this vehicle and we are concerned for her well-being of being able to get out of the vehicle for any reason (accident, fire, and inconvenience). Ford has claimed that nothing can be done and it's attributable to us living off of a dirt road and the car design does not include door weatherstripping. We are giving Ford one last opportunity to correct before hiring an attorney. The car is still under warranty and has not been in any accidents.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 232012

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that when the door latch button was depressed the button would immediately release, causing the doors to remain unlocked. The contact stated that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,670 and the current mileage was 48,889. Updated 09/05/12 the consumer also stated the RPM fluctuated at idle. Also, the vehicle was consuming an excessive amount of gas. Updated 09/10/12

- Loas Angeles , CA, USA

Apr 182012

Focus

First automatic door lock problem: The passenger side rear door lock will not respond to fob, interior auto door lock opener or manual intervention. Repair shop checked fuse, but it was ok. Later that day the lock began to work. A few days later it stopped working and has not worked since. Door is unusable because it is locked. Second automatic door lock problem: The driver's side rear door lock stopped locking. Won't respond to fob, interior auto door lock opener or manual intervention. Door can not be locked. Third automatic door lock problem: Passenger side door won't unlock using fob, interior auto door lock opener. Manual intervention using inside door handle opens the door. Fourth automatic door lock problem: I hope it won't be the drivers door!!!

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Apr 092012

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the rear door locks could not be locked or unlocked manually or when using the keyless entry remote. The contact took the vehicle to a local dealer where the dealer advised that they were unable to determine the failure. In addition, the doors could not be unlocked from inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 05/31/12

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Aug 312011

Focus 4-cyl Diesel

All but the driver's door would not unlock. I tried the inside door latch, the outside door latch, key fob, and even tried to unlock with the key from the outside. Car was taken to Ford dealer twice when getting there everything worked fine third time it would not unlock for them they replaced door lock latch żżactuator assembly and door lock switch assembly. Worked fine for about a week and started doing the same thing called and got appointment for that Friday got ready to take in and they started working again and have worked since but still concerned about this happening and us not being able to get out of the car period.

- Coos Bay, OR, USA

Mar 182010

Focus

My 2010 Ford Focus was purchased on 3/10/2010. Within the first week of ownership, the door locks were not working properly and the vehicle was taken to the dealer for repair. The problem repeated intermittently and the vehicle was taken back numerous time with the same complaint. Today, after having dealt with working/non-working locks on the doors, especially the driver's door for more than a month, we got the same response, "we need to see the vehicle when the problem is occurring." How am I supposed to recreate the problem to suit their objection to making a repair" in checking further into this I found that this situation has existed since the 2000 Ford Focus. When is Ford going to be made to fix this so that we do not end up pay out nearly $500 for a 4-door lock assembly replacement? enough is enough! in an accident, someone is not going to get out of the vehicle and if there is a fire, possibly none of the occupants will escape. Ford is not willing to fix this. I think it is time that this safety matter was address by an Agency that can make them deal with it once and for all. A ten year intermittent failure record is not a good one. It makes me wonder how many people have died or been injured dealing with locks that do not operate as expected? crawling over the center console to exit from the passenger's side of the vehicle is not practical for those of us who are elderly and/or disabled. I am both elderly and disabled. Now what"

- Earp, CA, USA

Jun 142011

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus SE. The contact stated that the doors would not unlock. The contact was concerned about being locked in the vehicle and not being able to exit. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they advised her that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 25,400.

- Glenallen, MO, USA

Sep 252011

Focus

I was locked in my own car! the driver's side door would not unlock. I tried the inside door latch, the outside door latch, key fob, and even tried to unlock with the key from the outside. I had friends trying to help me get the door unlocked, with no luck. I had to crawl out the passenger side of the car. After letting the car sit of over an hour, the door would finally unlock. The dealer is saying it is the actuator motor going out, cost for the motor alone is $400. That does not include the labor to install it. I think it is ridiculous that an electrical motor would go out with only 38000 miles on it. From what I have read, there most certainly should be a recall. Hopefully it will not require someone getting trapped in a car and loosing their life for that to happen.

- Douglassville, TX, USA

Aug 112011

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that all four doors exhibited failures when unlocking the vehicle using the key fob and manually. The contact had taken the vehicle to the dealer twice and the dealer was able to get the doors opened by replacing the linkage. The contact believed the failure to be a manufacturing defect. The contact had to crawl through the window in order to enter the vehicle. The failure mileage was 10,900. The right and left rear doors would no longer open; not even manually. Updated 09/29/11 updated 9/27/11 Ford informed the consumer, they were not responsible for any repairs, due to the fact the consumer lives on a gravel road and dirt was getting inside the door locks. They claimed it was an environmental issue. Updated 10/14/11. Updated 11/07/11 the consumer stated he/she did not crawl through the window. Ford told the consumer to crawl through the window in the event of an accident. The consumer declined due to being disabled. The consumer stated the failure mileage was before 10,900. Updated 06/13/2012 updated 06/15/12 updated 06/21/12... updated 08/15/12 updated 08/20/12 updated 08/20/2012 the consumer stated the right rear door could not be unlocked manually or by remote. Updated 08/21/12 updated 08/11/12 updated 09/17/2012 the consumer stated the left rear door and right rear door would not unlock manually or with the remote. Updated 09/24/12 updated 10/29/14

- Diamond, MO, USA