3.4

2011 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Focus:

2011 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Focus

The vehicle was purchased brand new but the transmission has always shifted rough. The dealer said it was because Ford had redesigned the transmission so it would shift better and be more fuel efficient. Even though we complained the dealer said there was nothing that they could do. Consequently, this problem has effected the cars overall performance and has now become so bad that the car is difficult to drive. The transmission shifts rough, jumps or launches out, shakes, has hesitation and even rolls back if you are on a hill. Consequently, the car seems unsafe to drive as it feels at times like the car might jolt out because of the rough shifting. When the car shifts rough at high speeds it tends to pull it to one side.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Jun 142016

Focus

My vehicle slips when changing gears..first started when shifting from 1st to 2nd..it's automatic trans. That was yesterday now it stalls going into any gear

- Albertville, AL, USA

Jun 012016

Focus

Takata recall I was coming up to a stop light ready to push the clutch in to slow down. I tried to push in the clutch and it was stuck. I let my foot off and tried agian. The clutch went down. I thought that was odd and dangerous. I was glad my wife wasn't driving. I wanted to pull over and see what was going on. I got in the turn lane. When I pushed the clutch in to go the clutch went to the floor and I was stuck in the turn lane. It was a busy road, but I was offered help and was able to push it through the light as it changed. I noticed that the connection from the clutch to the pedal was broken. A plastic piece had broke. The car only has 57000 miles. I feel like I was lucky nothing happened. That part should not break on a car. I want to feel safe when me or my wife are driving our vehicle.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Apr 172013

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the transmission shuttered while driving at lower speeds. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the vehicle shuttered and hesitated, but stated that the vehicle was working as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. Prior to the failure, the vehicle exhibited the same failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,719. Updated 08/03/16 the consumer stated several adjustments were made to the clutch. However, they were only temporary fixes. Updated 08/09/16.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Focus

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle would abnormally vibrate while idling. The failure happened without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic to be diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Aug 192014

Focus

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, a loud banging noise emitted from the transmission causing the vehicle to jerk. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the shift solenoid was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Hillard, OH, USA

Aug 262013

Focus

Throttle body went out on my 2011 Ford Focus ses while driving. Brought it into hub city Ford in lafayette, la for them to look at it. First trip, cleaned the throttle body and said it should have performed like new. As I was leaving the parking lot, the wrench light on dash turned on and I had to get it replaced.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jan 052014

Focus

I was driving from houston to the woodlands going home from work. Noticed the RPM kept revving up and I couldn't control the speed. The wrench light came on. I have taken good care of this car. Have had problems with the RPM meter and my engine before. Ron carter in alvin said it was a computer issue and "fixed" it while it was under warranty. The problem has now come back in unsafe driving conditions. I could have serious hurt or killed myself and other drivers around me. I feel the transmission is having major problems.

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 172013

Focus

This is the first report of 3 separate instances. Starting up from waiting at a signal light the system flashed "stop safely now". ( I had just touched the display screen to view the battery power.) proceeding through a left turn and when getting to the curb the system shut down. At that point a complete turn off of the car was attempted which did not happen, with the display still being active. Repeated attempts finally completely shut down the system, which was then restarted normally. The other two instances occurred while backing out of the garage, and rounding a neighborhood turn.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 152012

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle became hesitant to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the PCM module would have to be updated. The updates were performed however, the failure continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Talladega, AL, USA

Aug 022012

Focus

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph the vehicle started to jerk violently and stalled. The contact mentioned that the power train warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that the throttle body might be defective and needed to be replaced as a safety precaution. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 10,700 and the current mileage was 10,720.

- Salem, MA, USA

Jul 022012

Focus 4-cyl

The car has poor steering, poor suspension control over bumps, an acknowledged but unrepaired transmission mount, severe alignment issue, tires are feathered and cupped per dealer and dealer is not willing to fix it. The care is unsafe to drive but the dealer states if we do not purchase new tires, pay for an alignment that they will not fix the faulty transmission mount. It has been at 3 Ford dealers in the past 3 weeks. I said nothing is wrong (thomas Ford in beverly MA), next fixed a bearing and 2 suspension parts and said it is fixed (it was not) (danvers motor company, danvers MA) and finally the selling dealer said the alignment, tires and transmission mount are faulty (jack madden Ford, norwood, MA). This care is unsafe and is under bumper to bumper warranty.

- Salem, MA, USA