2011 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Focus:

2011 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Nov 302011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that when the lock button was depressed on the fobik key, the doors locked but when the unlock button was depressed the front and rear passenger side and rear driver side doors failed to unlock. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the front and rear passenger side and the rear drivers side doors lock without warning. In addition, when the vehicle was stopped, the doors failed to unlock. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was dirt in the locking mechanism. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 9,000.

- Lewisville, OH, USA

Feb 112016

The right power window goes up and down severly slow, during this action the window emits an electrical wire burning smell. (both stationary and moving) out side temp was 24 degrees, speed was approx 5mph

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Feb 052016

Drivers low beam headlight does not work due to failure in under dash fuse box/ smart juction box

- Churchville, NY, USA

Nov 042015

The electrical components are not registering correctly. The odometer and the miles to empty do not agree. The ac will cut off then back on. The wiper blades will only work on high but later correct. The miles per gallon are not correct. It will register 34.8 to 22.0 sitting still panel lights went off when I turned headlamps on high later in the day it was alright. These problems have been on going for 2 years. I have had it to Ford motor on 11/8/2013 and 11/4/15.

- Williamson, WV, USA

Feb 012014

Right front & rear doors will not always unlock from inside or out. Cannot unlock rear door by pulling up on the door lock as it will not move. Lock issues are difficult to diagnose because it is sporadic. Radio speakers on left side come one & off. Hesitates when accelerating.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 112015

Upon entering a school zone and decelerating to 35 mph, while entering into a left curve the power steering locked up preventing the turn into the curve. This resulted in the vehicle running off the road and hitting a road sign causing damage to the passenger mirror and right rear door and quarter panel.

- Four Oaks, NC, USA

Feb 012015

My vehicle has displayed an intermittent but increasing issue with electrical components. It started with a warning on the dash (including the warning chime) about a tire pressure monitor fault, and spread to include many and various warning lights. These include the parking brake light, and the door ajar light. When these lights are displaying, my turn signal indicator will not report on the dash, although I have been able to verify that the signals themselves are working on the outside of the car. Over time, this went from an occasional issue to being almost constant. At times, the tire pressure warning light will come on with constant chiming. I have experienced battery dead / non-start issues, although after jumping the vehicle, it will be fine for days. I have been able to get the dash to work properly by slapping the deck just above the display, although this only works for a short time. I typically only do this now when the constant chiming starts. I have had a mechanic look at it, and will be doing so again today. Last time, they tightened some wiring under the dash, and the issue appeared to go away for about 5 days, then crept back quickly. The initial thought was the alternator, although as mentioned above, the issue stopped after wiring was adjusted, and I suspect smacking the dashboard won't fix an alternator, or provide more power to dash lamps. Thank you. By the way, I am in Canada, your form below doesn't offer that as an option.

- Scarborough, NY, USA

Aug 172012

Focus 4-cyl

The back doors would pop open often, now we have to keep the pass, side door in the back locked because if we use it wont stay closed.and now the pass, side door in the front wont unlock. We had it checked at a Ford dealership and they greased thing that also happened was the paint was peeling when we first got it, they repainted the affected area.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Focus 4-cyl

I have a serious electrical problem in my Ford Focus 2011. During the day time the dash lights that are supposed to come on at night when you cut the lights on come on during the day time and won't cut off which causes the battery in my car to go dead. I've already replaced my car battery twice because of this problem. I have to beat on my car for it to cut on and lately that hasn't been working at all. Another problem I'm having is that the car says that the trunk is ajar when it's closed and the rear door is ajar when it's closed, the emergency break is on when it's not. My car cuts off every time I stop. Everything in the dash cuts off and freezes so I won't be able to tell if I need gas or how fast I'm going. Both car keys aren't being recognized by my car. I've repeatedly called the dealership that I got my car from and they keep telling me to come on Saturday and when I get there they say they don't have any mechanics available. I've called triple aaa every other day to jump start my car and sometimes they can't get it started because the dash in my car won't cut on. My dash in my car doesn't cut on when I try to crank up my car my car doesn't start. Everything else comes on in my car but the dash. I went on vacation the day after I bought this car and I had to buy a new battery because of the electrical problem in my car and then it wasn't the battery that was the problem. I went on vacation to Florida and if I didn't get the dash to come on I would've been stuck in Florida. I've had this problem everyday since I bought this car on September 19, 2014.

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Jan 312013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the interior lighting and the parking lights illuminated independently. The driver door ajar indicator illuminated without the door open. In addition, the contact was unable to start the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sandwich, MA, USA

Jul 132014

A/C blows hot air and cold air. It has intermittent problem and I called Ford. Ford says my car is out of warranty and NHTSA has not ordered any recall. I told Ford NHTSA is always slow and behind the curve few years. I personally think it is a waste of time contacting NHTSA. Google Ford Focus intermittent A/C problem and lots of Ford Focus has same problem and NHTSA is sleep. I want my A/C fixed. Are you listening NHTSA ?.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 132012

Focus 4-cyl

At approx. 40,800 mi, doors began to intermittently not unlock, no matter if I used the key, the remote, the inside switches or handles. Took the vehicle to the dealership, they tried to give me paperwork on how to use the remote. At about 41,000 mi multiple doors locked and it was taken back to the dealership, at 41,109 mi they replaced driver's, front passenger, and rear right: Latches, linkages and control rods, partially at my cost. At 44,568 mi dealership replaced left rear actuator/latch, partially at my cost. At about 58,000 mi intermittent problems began again, at 63,638 mi dealership blew out the locks and told me it was because I lived on a gravel road and had to blow it out or bring it back to have them blow it out monthly. Two days later all four doors locked and I couldn't get in, 3 weeks later they unlocked randomly, despite the fact the car hadn't moved (I couldn't get in it). I can open the front doors by pulling really hard if I am inside, one of the backdoors I can pull the latch up with needle nose pliers from inside, the other I can't open once it locks. I have fought the dealership as well as corporate Ford and they won't do anything, they say they are aware of the problem but won't do anything about it. This is a safety issue, I had an infant get locked in the back thank heavens I wasn't in a wreck, we took her out and had to leave her car seat in the back (this is how I figured out the needle nose plier trick). I have 3 kids in the back of my car almost all the time and it scares me if I crash, they may or may not be able to get out. I can never lock my car, because I may not be able to get back in, and now the drivers door doesn't always lock anyways, even when I'm going down the road and it used to auto lock. There are complaints similar to mine for several model years of focuses all over the internet. Make Ford be responsible, do a recall!!!!

- Rochester, WA, USA

Apr 052014

The doors are locking it won't unlock with the key I've called a locksmith. I've had to crawl out the window twice safety issue Ford is ordering parts of course my warranty is expiring even the extended one I will have to pay for this safety issue.

- Inyokern, CA, USA

Jul 012013

I have a 2011 Ford Focus and about a year ago the door locks started randomly sticking. The problem started with the driver door it would not unlock and now it is all the door locks. The problem is so bad I cannot even unlock the door manually. This is now a very unsafe condition so much so I will not put anyone in the back seat because if there is an accident I may not be able to get the passengers out of the car. I cannot depend on the locks at anytime. This week 06/02/2014 all the doors locked up not even the key would unlock the doors and we had to call for a tow service. I have taken the car to the dealer they said it was dust. I told the dealer it was the same problem my company vehicle had and it was a relay, they said not the problem. I took the car to the dealer today and they said they could not help until late July and told me to take the car home. I told the dealer the car is unsafe I got nothing from them, no help. This car is unsafe and someone is going to die before Ford does anything about the problem.

- Inyokern, CA, USA

Apr 062014

Focus 6-cyl

I first began having problems with the turn switch going off then back on. Then at a later date the gas gauge began to reflect varying messages. Air conditioner would stop running then begin again. I took it in to Ford garage but they could find nothing wrong with the electrical components. This was last November 8, 2013. I was told if the problem came up again to bring the car to the garage while the problem was happening. On April 6, 2014 the wiper blades would only operate on high but later that same day they would work in all positions. I called Ford garage and was told to bring the vehicle in while the problem was happening. This is impossible to do since the problems seem to keep correcting themselves.

- Williamson, WV, USA

Mar 082014

Focus 4-cyl

Suddenly the power windows and power mirrors stopped working. My vehicle is a 2011 Ford Focus SE and I don't believe I should be having these problems.

- West Milton, OH, USA

Oct 172013

This is the first report of 3 separate instances. Starting up from waiting at a signal light the system flashed "stop safely now". ( I had just touched the display screen to view the battery power.) proceeding through a left turn and when getting to the curb the system shut down. At that point a complete turn off of the car was attempted which did not happen, with the display still being active. Repeated attempts finally completely shut down the system, which was then restarted normally. The other two instances occurred while backing out of the garage, and rounding a neighborhood turn.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 202013

Focus 4-cyl

Drivers side rear door lock froze up, would not unlock thru remote, drivers door switch or manually. Could not open door manually from either inside car or outside car, and could not lift door unlock up manually. After about 3 weeks started working again, and now works sporatically.

- Webb City, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Focus 4-cyl

My door locks on one or multiple doors failed to unlock by any means, repeatedly and intermittently. I did take it to the Ford dealer in twin falls, Idaho and they wouldn't fix anything until I could prove it. I did drive to the dealer when it happened and they verified the problem when they attempted to unlock the doors and failed. I had to crawl out the window to get out. They replaced all of my door locks on warranty. Now I have 58K miles on my car, no warranty and I am having the same safety issue. The dealer said they would not fix the problem. If I were to wreck, or the car caught fire, how would I get my grand kids out of the car" how would I escape? would if my windows which are electrical failed also" I am locked in my car and so are my passengers. What ever parts they replaced under warranty aren't any better than the original ones.

- Fairfield, ID, USA