6.8

2. replace the entire stereo system (4 reports)
  3. local salvage yard $60. 4month warranty (1 reports)
  4. replace gps/radio system (1 reports)
  5. reset the system (1 reports)
2012 Ford Focus accessories - interior problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 152017

Focus SE 2.0L

I took my Focus to the dealer to have the transmission serviced under warranty. When I next drove it - to work - the radio shut off when I had come to a traffic light and had shut the engine off. I know now that the "One Hour Audio" mode is not working correctly anymore. It shuts off after about 3 minutes, and WILL NOT TURN BACK ON unless I start the engine. Period.

I'm a musician, and I just like to listen to the radio, too, so this is extremely annoying.

The dealer said they would contact the Ford Technician Hotline and get back to me. Over a week ago. Ford customer service said they couldn't help; I had to have a dealer's tech look at it.

Today, the dealer said that it's just a "coincidence" that the radio stopped working correctly, they did nothing to it. Of course, they DID connect a computer to it, through the OBD port. SOMETHING got changed.

I called Ford customer service again, and they say I could take it to another dealer, for a "second opinion", but I'm pretty sure they'll want to say the same thing. Meanwhile, the first dealer is going to give me a quote for replacing the radio. Wow.

Anyone have issues like this with their stock Ford radio? It's the one without the sync or phone options, just 6 preset buttons on the right button panel.

Please help. I need my tunes!

Thanks!

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Mar 252016

Focus

radio turns on unintentionally, with vehicle off

- , Warren, MI, USA

Nov 042016

Focus

loud static and complete failure of control and buttons on radio. popping and static occurs spontaneously whether driving or not, any rate of speed or parked position and whether or not the car is on or not.

- , Wheeling, USA

Sep 082016

Focus SEL

Radio/speakers made a faint "pop" then went out. After shutting car off and restarting it worked again. Now after this happening for about two weeks it is completely out. - Replaced fuse, nothing - No sound - Can not change volume, even though no sound - Can not change station, even though no sound - Can not turn off - Stay's on one screen - Shutting down the car and restarting does nothing anymore - Sync is not working either

Update from Dec 1, 2016: Still randomly goes out. I had a audio guy check it out. He can't find a solution. He checked all the speakers as some have indicted new speakers solved their problem. He suggested two options 1) having the BCM checked. however this is about $50 and hour and approximately a two hour job and may not solve the problem. I think this is to much for just a possibility. He suggested this because I sometimes have issue with the key fob locking the doors. 2) an after market radio at about $250. Meanwhile I purchased a cheap bluetooth speaker and we use that as a backup when it goes out.

- , Racine, WI, USA

Mar 112016

Focus SEL 4 cylinder

radio popping and cracking

purchased my car on trade. they fixeddae in at mt. view chrysler dodge in ringgold ga drove for little while then i have popping and cracking in the radio and speakers .they fixed recalls picked the car up on 7-8-16 still has popping and cracking it got better and started again they have messsed with my wiring trying to do recalls now my light switch inside the car doesnt work and i have a red flashing light on dash panel when car is cute on and doors locked cant turn air condioner temp down either now i have take it back to ford place on 7-13-16 again for them to fix the problem they have messed up any sugestion on this problem

- , Dalton, GA, USA

Jan 252016

Focus SE

The radio made a loud noise and stop working five months ago. Still no radio!

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Focus

Radio system quit working all together. But every once in a while it would give out a ear-shattering squawk. I'm now using my cell phone for a radio. No more Fords for me. I now know why Ford is in the 4 letter language.

- , Waterford, MI, US

Aug 052014

Focus

Before my radio stopped working first I noticed that my speakers, all of them were making an extremely LOUD and annoying popping, screaming, etc noise....sounded like fireworks. After that my radio started cutting off my music and I would have to mess with it to work again, then it started popping and screaming even while the car was off at times and at that point would play no music at all....then the popping and screaming stopped after months and months of not being able to afford to fix it. Now I drive around with no music and the radio screen is stuck at "ford audio welcome", won't let me push any buttons for it to work, nothing!

Now after a year of all of that I think I finally have enough money to FINALLY replace the whole radio with a brand new one that I believe was manufactured badly. But I guess if they don't make it with some mistakes then the car services doesn't get any money. Oh and then they want me to pay them $200 to run tests and see what the problem is when the problem is I need a new radio. My fuse is perfectly fine and not burnt, and when my car broke down a few months ago they did other things to see if it would fix the problem and nothing happened. Not paying an extra $200 for a problem I already know of.

- , franklin, TN, USA

Mar 012015

Focus SE 2.0L

At first, the volume of the radio was increassing or decreasing by itself without me touching the buttons. It stopped so I did not tell my mechanics. Weeks after, the radio went off whille driving making a loud blast, heavy noise then nothing. The only way I found I could restart the radio was by stopping the car and removing the key for few seconds. Starting the car again would fix the problem until it's doing it again. Few weeks after, the radio, CD, blue tooth auxiliary had stop working totally but sometimes I could hear a blast so loud I had to stop the car.

Now, all radio functions are not working anymore, no more blast. My dealer and Ford Canada, both told me the warranty has ended and that there is no recall on that matter, so they can't repair unless I pay around 700-800$ + time/job for a new radio. A specialist who repairs car radio said the processor is probably dead and that he may be able to change it but the problem, the car companies do not release the plans to allow such a repair. At the end, you need to change the whole radio.

It was my first Ford, it's the last one as well. The overall quality of the 2012 Focus is not bad, but it's a shame that Ford don't accept they have a quality issue with a specific part.

- , Saguenay, QC, Canada

Jul 012015

Focus Titanium I4

Bought this car new, a month ago the XM radio & cell phone sync stopped working. First it was a "software update" which should be $50 & a short wait...didn't work. Next it was "1 of the 3 radio units" covered under warranty. Free, but would take 3 days for parts. Didn't work. Now it's "a different radio unit" NOT covered under warranty, going to cost $850 "or maybe less if we can work something out" but the car's been in their shop for ELEVEN DAYS with no end in sight waiting for parts. WTF?! 2 weeks for a RADIO?! They say the part "is special order." Again, WTF?! What part on a Ford car purchased new from a Ford dealer, never modified, and brought back to the same dealer for repair isn't a Ford part?

So very pi$$ed off. Haven't bought a Ford since 1985, and will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER make this mistake again.

- , Muncie, IN, USA

Sep 212015

Focus SE 2.0L

click to see larger images

radio not working properly

Rice Crispy's has nothing on my 2012 Focus SE, AM FM single CD/MP3 Audio System. Uncontrollable sound that would make you swerve and duck to miss" imaginary foe". With 42,000 miles and two more years of payments the near $700 fix is not easy on my pension. I'm just one more in a list of numbering people

- , Fairmont, WV, USA

Jun 222015

Focus SE 2.0L-Liter I-4

Last month as I was driving the radio went silent, I tried the volume knob but it wasn't visible so I was really confused. When I stopped for gas and cut the car off and restarted the car the radio came back on. After that occurrence I noticed that it was happening at least once a week but yesterday I heard a loud pop before the radio went out. I called the dealer and of course he told me that if there is an issue I would be liable for the cost which is crazy. I have had several cars in the past and I have never had a radio completely go out after 3 years. Since I have had my Focus there is issues with transmission now this. I doubt I will buy another Ford in the future because I am very disappointed with the quality.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 202015

Focus SE

So the radio is stuck at "welcome" screen, no power to it. Checked the fuses and removed the panel. CD player it has power. But the control panel has no juice on the board. I just bought the car three months ago and the dealership wanted a $1000 for the radio to replace for the non-working one. That is not including other parts and labor or taxes. This should be fixed under Fords expense. Their product is not working, fix it. I don't care about excuses, I want results! Fix it now!

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Mar 192014

Focus 2.0L

My GPS & whole radio system went in the 2nd year that I owned the car. It was covered under warranty but I had to go a week without a radio or GPS which was annoying. Since it took me this long to report all the problems I have had with my car, I am sure that there are others who don't report things as long as they get fixed. Since Ford must know about these problems, there should be a recall on some of the major things.

- , Bradford, ON, Canada

Jun 052015

Focus SE

The radio made a loud noise and turned off. After restarting the car it worked again. This happened about 4 times over the last month. Now it shuts off and does not turn back on. I cannot use my blue tooth or radio because I have no audio.

Update from Jun 22, 2015: Dealership reset the system so far everything is working

- , Nesquehoning, PA, USA

Apr 052015

Focus SE 2.2L I4

I almost always (possibly classified sorry religiously) use an auxiliary cord to listen to music from my phone as opposed to the radio or cd's. Easter weekend, I was on a 3 hour road trip to visit family, and about half way through, my radio stops playing music. Radio is still powered on, auxiliary cord still snug in phone and car port, volume hadn't been touched, just no music. I unplug the aux cord, turn on a radio station, nothing. I put in a cd, nothing. I'm quite irritated at this point, my passengers are concerned.

Finally I give up, continue on, and eventually have to stop about 30 minutes later for gas, and turn the car off, pump gas, so on...and when I start the car back up, out of habit, plug the phone in to the aux cord and it starts working! Okay so that was a fluke right? NO. It's happened at least 2 more times since then, just driving across my small town. Same thing, and took me turning off the car And then starting Again.

- , Mineral wells, TX, USA

Mar 032015

Focus ES

Parked the car in the driveway at night. Next morning get in and start the car radio, no volume. Channel displayed, cranked the volume switch and nothing. Inserted a CD in the unit and still nothing. Selected phone sync and still nothing. Will be taking it back to FORD.

Curious if anyone else had the same problem and hopefully FORD fixed it at no cost.

- , Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Dec 182014

Focus SE 2.0L

Change from AM to FM and then stop on the way home, turn the car off, run into the store come back out, start the car and boom, back on AM. Been doing it since day one. Dealer replaced the computer, which is in the radio I'm told, and it worked for a while, now back to doing it frequently.

- , Hudson, CO, USA

Jun 162014

Focus V6

On my 2012 Ford Focus, only had it 2 years and out of the blue my stereo started popping and cracking(it was so loud it hurt my children's ears). The popping and cracking would continue even when the car and radio was turned off. The dealership had to replace the entire stereo and speaker system due to a electrical issues

- , Ider, AL, USA

Apr 182014

Focus SE 2.0L

Radio quits when using the 12 volt charged. Radio sometimes shuts off, other times radio is on but no volume. Other times my horn and radio will quit working together. Sometimes I can shut ignition off and restart car and radio will come on normal, but horn is still disabled. Very annoying problem in the electric system.

- , Ringgold, GA, USA