Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Jan 282016

After opening the driver's door, it would not close. Took to Ford and they said the door latch was faulty and need replacing at part cost of over 450 dollars. Bought a new car instead.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jan 162016

I unlock the car and opened the rear door and tried to close it back and it wouldn't catch the latch stopped working. The door wouldn't stay closed even when I tried to lock it. I was told by dealer there was no recall on it. I have attached an invoice of the repair.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 142015

The driver's side door failed in November 2015. The car parked and locked in the driveway in front of our home. We noticed that the interior dome light was on. We found that we could no longer close or lock the door. We had to use bungie cords to close the driver's side door by attaching the cords to the door handle of the front passenger side door. Since the car was no longer under warranty we brought it to our mechanic to repair. We noticed that this has happened to other Focus owners and that this is something that is being investigated for the purposes of a recall and want to include our experience. We have attached a copy of the invoice from our mechanic which lists the part number. Do we have to be concerned about this part or the latches on the remaining car doors? it is concerning that this has happened to people while driving! I consider us fortunate that the car was parked when this occurred.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Sep 072015

I came out of a store and got into my vehicle to drive over to my job in the same shopping center. At the time, my driver side door latched properly but upon getting out of my vehicle at work, 30 seconds later, my door latch malfunctioned and would not latch. In order to leave work that night, I had to tie the door shut with a rope. Thank god my young son was not with me and the car was not in motion at the time. This is a major concern and its only a matter of time before more people have the same problem and get seriously injured. Ford has already had a recall on some other models for this same issue. I strongly believe we have come across yet another model with faulty door latches. I have not had the issue fixed yet due to insufficient funds but will be fixing it soon. Once I do get it fixed I will still fear for my safety, my son's safety, and the safety of any other 2012 Ford Focus owners. I hope and pray we can resolve this issue quickly before anyone else gets hurt.

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Jun 292015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the driver side door opened independently without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle lost speed and then stalled as the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under an unknown manufacturer recall. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000. Updated 04/13/16

- Acton, MA, USA

Dec 272015

Focus 4-cyl

Takata recall Ford Focus 2012 passenger rear door no longer closes as latch will not engage, this happened whilst stationary luckily, the rear doors are rarely used and for a 3 year old car this is a poor failure. Had to use rope to bind door to drivers rear door as I had to get vehicle back home. Extremely dangerous situation and am glad it did not happen whilst driving or braking. Contacted clovis Ford dealership and basically their response was it's not in warranty so you're on your own. Regardless of all the fiesta and Fusion recalls with similar issues you think they would be at least slightly interested in helping with this matter. Poorly constructed safety locks in my mind. Poor show Ford America.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 292015

The trunk lid opens while driving. It has happened about 7 times driving at various speeds including highway speeds. I have brought it to the Ford dealer to check for problems. No problem is ever found but it continues to happen. Note the only way to normally open the trunk is with the remote. I have tried using the spare key to determine whether it is the remote sending a signal while driving but the problem occurs with both keys. My suspicion is there is some rf signal which is causing this to occur. The latch is fine and Ford conformed no issues with the latch.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Dec 222015

Daughter was driving and the driver door latch failed and the door wouldn't stay shut. Dealership said defect in door latch. Said there is a recall but only for Fusion & fiesta models. 2 months later same happened to driver side back door. Again told by Ford not covered, however they did reimburse 2 other 2012 Ford Focus owners for same issue. When I presented Ford with this info, they said they were not going to cover this safety defect at this time....

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Dec 272015

Today, while putting several things in the back of the car, my wife noticed that the rear drives side door would not close. Upon further investigation, it appears that the latch of the door is not functioning properly and the door is not able to be closed. It is currently sitting, undriveable, in the garage. This vehicle is my daily driver. Luckily, I am able to drive my wifes car this week as she is still off for the holiday. From what I have seen, the failure of the latch is a common problem on other Ford vehicles and have been recalled.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Dec 022015

Latches on rear left door broke. Not even 2 weeks later left driver side latch broke. Th Focus has the exact same latches as the fiesta and Fusion which both have recalls, but the Focus does not. The car was not in motion, but now when I drive I have to have the door tied to the other door, so it does not fling open. I also got pulled over in between these two weeks and was cited for driving an unsafe vehicle.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 092015

My driver door swung open as I was turning right from a stop light on a city street. I was able to latch the door but it unlatched and opened again.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 072015

Passenger side front door latch assembly broke causing the door to swing open while driving. This occurred while driving through a parking lot at the mall and my wife almost fell out of the car. Not only was she forced to catch herself and the door from flying open but now I am forced to use a ratchet strap to hold the door closed as the local Ford dealer stated they are still waiting to get the part but have no idea when.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Nov 132015

Driver side door suddenly will not latch, creating a dangerous safety hazard. The door remains open preventing the vehicle to be driven without some kind of strap holding the driver's door closed to prevent it from swinging open while the vehicle is in motion. This type or contraption impairs the driver from driving safely and could potentially cause an accident if suddenly swings open, even worse person can fall out of vehicle if this failure was to happen while the vehicle is in motion. Fortunately, this happened to us as we had arrived and parked our car. Once the door was opened and the driver exited the vehicle the door would not latch closed again.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 072015

The rear door latch on the driver's side suddenly failed with the door flying open. The door will not latch. The latch is made of plastic. This is an extreme safety hazard and it is just a matter of time until someone falls out of a moving vehicle and is killed or injured. Ford has already recalled the fiesta and other model(s) for the same failure. I called Ford and they refused to take responsibility for the failure. They did say that they were aware of a large number of failures but would not issue a recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 082015

The left hand back door latch broke. The door will not latch and my wife is keeping the door closed with the seat belt. The car was in a parking lot and when my daughter got in the door would not latch.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Nov 052015

Drivers side rear door no longer latches, Ford dealer quoted $430 to repair. This is a safety issue and should be recalled by Ford. We managed to get the door to latch by clamming the door, fortunately it has not popped open while parked or in motion.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Nov 042015

11/4/2015 - parked at restaurant the car was stationary in parking lot opened the door and when closing it the driver's side front door suddenly quit latching and won't lock. The door swings open freely and slams against the frame and my elbow as the car is moving. The alarm and dash warnings go off constantly as the switch can't be depressed properly. This is a safety issue due to premature product failure. Ford says it's not covered under recall if the car is out of warranty. There is no difference it's a plastic latch just like the Ford fiesta, Fusion, and mkz latches under current recall.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Oct 022015

Focus 4-cyl

In July 2015 the left frond door latch failed to secure the door and the vehicle had to be taken to the dealership for repairs as I was unable to close the door. I had to pay a $100 deductible because that "safety" feature was not covered. Then in October 2015 the left rear door latch failed to secure and I had to repeat the process. This is a serious safety hazard as I was forced to drive on the I-10 freeway while reaching in the back to hold the door closed as the door latch was inoperable. Please review this situation carefully and consider this a recall service item. It is imperative that all doors be secured while driving. Vehicles are inoperable if the door latches are not securing the doors. Thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter.

- Indio, CA, USA

Oct 242015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the rear driver side door suddenly opened and could no longer be closed and secured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the rear driver side door latch failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Swansy, SC, USA

Aug 102015

Driver front door latch stopped working. Can not lock door. Car was stationary

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA