Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 12 of 12)

Jul 162015

Right-side passenger door latch failed while driving on freeway. Door flew open and would not re-close. My child injured her arm when the door bounced back. This is the second door latch to fail in less than a week.

Jul 102015

Driver door latch failed and flew open while driving. Door would not stay closed.

Jul 142015

Door would not stay closed....updated 09/03/15.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jul 102015

Cornering at 10-15 mph and front driver door latch made a popping noise and door flew open. Door will no longer latch and lock.

Jul 012015

While driving to a store, took a right hand turn and driver side door flew wide open. I held the door shut while driving with one arm. My brother who had a 2013 Ford fiesta had the same problem with both rear doors, and his passenger door. This issue I have heard of thousands of times and yet no recall? it's going to take someone falling out of their car and the car hitting innocent bystanders for this to become serious for Ford to fix. The dealership wants $500 for this fix despite its a known manufacturer defect, and terrible design. 2010+ Ford cars in my opinion are all garbage, and Ford service does not care.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 072015

I have a Ford Focus 2012 it has power lock on the doors. 3 doors lock with the remote just fine the door behind the drivers seat wont even close. It opens when I turn corners. This is a safety issues especially when I have small children, this car has had two recall fixes one with car rolling back even though it is an automatic and a transmission failure all due to electrical issues. I feel that the this is another one given that my passenger left rear door cant even be manually locked its only locked and unlocked electrically, there is nothing blocking the door to make it not close only the lock itself.

- Converse, TX, USA

Mar 182015

The rear driver side door latch will not close the door just bounces back open if you attempt to close it. I have to use a cord or rope to tie the door handle closed or it would swing open during vehicle operation.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 192015

Focus 4-cyl

Car lost power and engine light came on while traveling southbound on I-95. Underneath parts and lower body panels caught fire and melted. Vehicle was towed to the paul clark Ford dealership in yulee, fl. Where it was discovered the engine had experienced a catastrophic engine failure. There was a hole a little smaller than a basketball blown out of the bottom of the crankcase with the oil pump and pieces of the engine laying on the shield covering the oil pan. The car had just been fully serviced with it's routine oil change, recommended service routine, etc by same dealer. Even though the vehicle is under full warranty, nothing has been done to repair the vehicle as of yet. Ford is conducting an internal review and said it could take up to 90 days before a determination is made. They also have not offered a loaner vehicle or a rental car to the owner while this process is taking place.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Dec 022014

Focus 4-cyl

Driving to get the mail.our mail box is at the end of our road about half a mile from the house. There is a drainage ditch that must be crossed parallel too the road that has the mail boxes on it. This is a T intersection. Just before the ditch the car slowed so I pressed the throttle to regain speed and nothing happened I pressed the throttle again and it acted as if it had been floored and did not return. The car sped up and went into the ditch even though I was pushing on the flew out of the ditch and through the mail boxes, taking out three boxes and trapping me in the car with boxes on each side preventing the doors from opening. The car received a lot of body damage and had to go to the shop.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Oct 062014

Was parking car when suddenly it lunged forward at a fast speed, I lost control and hit car in front of me plus 3 other cars then crashed into cement wall. I hit my head and left side of body on the door, I bruised my rib cage front & back plus my left leg very bruised. I was very lucky I didn't get killed.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Aug 212014

Focus 4-cyl

I turned onto a two lane street (one lane in each direction). The oncoming traffic was stopped due a red light. An SUV pulled out of a parking lot between two of the cars waiting for the light to turn green and tried to cut across my lane also, but hit my car instead. I drive a Ford Focus, a small car. I was hit on my driver's side front fender and door. The front driver's side fender and mirror were torn completely off of the car. The front driver's side tire was damaged, and something was bent, so that the tire could no longer be set in a straight position. The hood was bent, and the driver's side headlight was hanging from the car. The interior portion of the driver's side foot well caved inward and hit my legs. The driver's door was hit so hard that the door would not open, and I had to untangle my feet, and exit the car from the passenger side. My tiny car was hit by an SUV that had "punched" the gas to try and cross in front of me- but hit my driver's side door instead. There was a great deal of damage done to my car, but my airbag never deployed. I've heard of airbags going off when someone barely hit something with their bumper, yet I got hit directly in my door, at a decent rate of speed by an automobile twice the size of mine, and my airbag did not deploy. Not my front airbag, nor my side impact airbags. I have to believe this is some type of defect.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 172012

I was driving a nearly brand new 2012 Ford Focus at approximately 45-50 mph when collided with another car traveling at least equivalent if not higher speed. I saw the other car attempting pulling in front of me after failing to stop at a stop sign and I tried to stop the car by braking, but the car was not able to slow down or stop in time. I T-boned the other car and my car was dragged by the other car and rested on the side of the road. As a result, my car was totaled. On the police report, the police indicated the crash was moderate. The water pump, bumper and other stuff came off the car, but the airbags were never deployed. I sustained head and cervical spinal injuries.

- Westlake Village, CA, USA

Oct 192012

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission shutters causing whole car to shake. Acts as if the fly wheel is glazed over and clutch can not engage properly, this is turn caused a body vibration making a loud vibration noise. Ford knows of this problem and has yet to have a recall to make a permanent fix. Ford replaced a clutch pack in my car but the design is flawed - this will happen again and at my expense. Ford agreed to extend my warranty mileage but not the time in which use said mileage. The original warranty was 60K or five yrs. Now its 100K or five yrs, two of which are gone. Increasing the mileage does nothing for me the warranty still expires at the same time. Ford is well aware of this problem in the fiesta and Focus models. I'm a professional mechanic for over 25 yrs. I've talked with several Ford shops and they are very aware of this issue. I spoke with the owner of the dealership I bought the car from and he even stated that was the no.1 topic at a Ford convention in vegas this yr. This is simply a poor design and Ford wants the customer to pay for it. My car stared this problem around 13K and Ford has been yanking me around for another 13K before putting in the replacement parts that are no doubt going to fail again. My gas mileage in town went from 33.5 to 24.5 and this was also acceptable to Ford - not me. This needs to be fixed right away before a total transmission failure kills someone.

- Avon, IN, USA

Aug 102013

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicle was parked with the engine off. A fire spontaneously began in the engine compartment. The vehicle was in service for 14 months, bought new and under a maintenance contract. No previous issues.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Focus 4-cyl

I bought the 2012 Ford Focus sel on November 18th 2011 and first recall was Jan 02 2012 they reprogrammed the transmission and there was a 2nd recall and the reprogrammed the transmission again but im still having hesitation on startups and loses power as well but hasn't stalled yet but I thought few times it will stall out but it didn't. I hope Ford can fix the hesitation of this vehicle but if not then I will never buy a Ford again. Also the suspension is very hard on bumps. Feels like there is no shocks on the car. Very disappointed on my front windshield. Cracked when I only had 15,000 miles on the car.

- Clawson , MI, USA

Oct 012012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that whenever there was sun shining on the dashboard, the reflection would blind her visibility of the roadway. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 5,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Sep 272012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that there was no trunk release in the vehicle. The contact stated that her son entered the trunk of the vehicle and was unable to get out because it did not come equipped with a trunk release. The dealer was notified and stated that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired.the manufacturer was notified and provided no assistance. The failure mileage was not available.

- Cheaspeake, VA, USA

Jul 142012

Focus 4-cyl

In June 2012, my daughter was driving and her front passenger tire exploded. This was the 3rd set of new tires we had placed on this vehicle (by 30,000 miles - averaging 10,000 miles per set of tires). Then in July 2012, she was driving home and started to skid. She was not able to recover from the skid and hit a tree head-on. The front of her car was destroyed. The tree centered her car and the front end looked like a Volkswagen bug. The air bags did not deploy. We had this vehicle into the dealership 3 times for problems with the front end. Each time they said they could not find anything wrong with it. However, the driver and passengers could feel the car sway when riding it in. The vehicle was totaled by the insurance company ($17,000 check sent to Ford) and we still owe $1700 that we have agreed to pay to Ford to keep from ruining our credit. Thank god she was wearing a seat belt that actually worked - otherwise we would have had to plan our daughters funeral. We purchased this car because it was advertised as being a very safe car with the interior wrapped in air bags. Wrapping the interior with air bags does not help if they do not work. I have been buying Ford automobiles for 30 years but, right now I am wondering how safe my Ford F-150 is. We are now considering hiring an attorney.

- Robbinsville, NC, USA

Aug 202012

I was leave an appointment when I came to a stop sign at an intersection. I stopped short of the faded white line on the road but a little past the position in which the stop sign was posted so I assumed I would be good to go from this spot. I then looked both ways did not see any on coming traffic from either direction so I proceeded to cross the intersection. It wasn't until I was have way into the road that I even notice the other driver coming at me and by that time it was to late any neither myself or the other driver were able to avoid the collision. The other drivers car the stuck my in the rear passenger completely destroying it and spinning me out of the road in the direction of a light pole which I was unable to avoid or stop short of due to the fact that I had lost power to the vehicles controls. My final stopping position was a few feet away from the pole after it ripped that section of front bumper apart and I bounced of the front driver side tire. No airbags deployed neither the side nor front.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Jun 182012

Vehicle central locking system locked the car while parked with the keys in the ignition. Locksmith was called to force entry. Alarm did not activate when door was opened.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA