2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 13)

Aug 292016

Focus

Aug 2015 - drivers door flung open while making a turn...unable to close door and had to tie shut to get car to dealer, car had 88K miles. Dealer determined latch was defective and replaced it under extended warranty - customer pay deductible. Repaired at jordan Ford in san antonio tx, Aug 2015, work order #90121 29 Aug 2016, same car, front passenger door flung open during slow speed left turn, luckily no passenger in car, car had 105K miles. Door would not shut and was tied shut and taken to dealer who stated latch was broken and had to be replaced $780 cost as car was outside 100K mileage on extended warranty. Same dealer used for repairs, work order number unavailable as car is still being repaired.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Aug 102016

Focus

Door latch...specifically drivers side rear door.....failed to latch and still will not latch. Came out from my work location and opened door, placed lunch box in back seat, shut door(I thought), got in and started car and warning system advised rear door not shut. Got out and tried to shut door but would not latch any more. Had to tie door with string to keep it from flying open going down the road.

- Portland, TN, USA

Aug 262016

Focus

I was driving through an intersection making a left tun when all of a sudden my drivers side passenger door flew open. My dog was in his crate in the back seat and almost flew out. I pulled over and could not get the door to latch. I've had to tie it down because I can not afford $600 to pay to get this fixed. Please Ford recall this model so I don't have to drive around in this dangerous vehicle.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Focus

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback. With faulty door latches. Two (driver's side door, and drivers side rear door) have been replaced. Ford has issued a recall for this specific problem, including many 2012 Focus models, however, my 2012 Focus was not included in this recall. The dealership has not been very helpful.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 282016

Focus

While driving on I-75 from atlanta to tampa my driver side door just flew open while I was doing about 70mph. Thankfully nobody was next to me at the time and I had twine in my car to tie the door shut.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Aug 282016

Focus

The door latch on the front driver's side door is broken and will not allow the door to close. I cannot lock the car door or shut it. When I attempt to close the door it "pops" back open. The incident occurred while the vehicle was in motion on a city street while turning. I was driving and the door suddenly opened by itself when making a turn, due to the broken latch.

- Doral, FL, USA

Aug 272016

Focus

Car door randomly stopped latching. Second time this has happened, once in motion and once not in motion. Terrifying and frustrating experience. One repair has been done so far, costing 450 dollars. Huge safety hazzard, especially due to the randomness of it.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Aug 222016

Focus

Takata recall the door latch on the driver side unexpectedly stop latching shut. Was parking the car in a parking lot and went to close the door and it would not lock or close. The door does not close and when attempting to close the door it bounces back and does not latch shut. Had hold the door shut in order to drive home. Researched Ford for recalls and found that the 2012 Ford fiesta and the 2012 Ford Fusion were recalled with the same problem.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 012016

Focus

The driver door latch fails to catch when closing the door, even when attempting to lock the door. As a result, the door does not secure and swings open while driving, particularly when turning to the right, and does not lock to secure interior and contents. The failure was first discovered while driving. As we turned right at an intersection, after having come to a complete stop, the driver's door flew open, almost striking a car driving in the opposite direct on the street we turned onto, narrowly avoiding an accident.

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 152016

Focus

I am an owner of a 2012 Ford Focus. The driver door latch suddenly gave out and will not securely shut. The door will close, but will flap open. This is extremely dangerous and expensive fix. You can see how this is frustrating when the latch gave out on its own. Thankfully, not while I was driving. Please keep investigating this issue for it should be an issued recall. This is a must to keep all Focus owners safe and secure while driving. Thanks.

- Calimesa, CA, USA

Aug 212016

Focus

As I was driving my 2012 Ford Focus the door all of sudden the driver rear side door opened. I pulled over and tried to shut the door but it just bounced back open. This is a big safety hazard and I'm not quite sure why I should to pay for the repair as this vehicle is not that old for this to be happening and I've also heard a lot of complaints from other consumers having the same issue. Good thing no one was in the back of the vehicle when this occurred or the results would have been devastating. I'm hoping there will be a recall for the door latch soon.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 242016

Focus

On two separate occasions the door latches (rear passenger and rear driver side) on the vehicle became stuck open/locked. One occurrence resulted in the passenger rear door fully opening while making a right turn the other incident (8/24/2016) involved not being able to close the rear driver side door, latch was stuck in the lock position and would not allow for full closure.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 252016

Focus

Door latch on both front and rear doors fails to operate. Doors cannot close.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Aug 032016

Focus

When I went out one day to leave work the back driver side passenger door latch no longer worked after I opened the car. I can't drive the car at all without the door flying open. I tried to secure it but the weight of the door breaks all strings/ropes. I resorted to a bungee cord. When I take turns the door still opens but closes shut. I have a baby that sits in the back seat so I was scared and took it into the dealership. They are telling me since its not an active recall yet that they will only repair it for a discounted rate of $350 but the part is on back order. I told them this was unacceptable as I have a baby in the backseat and it's a huge safety issue. Interesting enough, at first when the rep. Thought it was covered under a warranty, he told me he could not release my vehicle to me because it was a safety hazard. Now that they might not pay for it, it's ok to be released. Very disappointed in Ford. I am still waiting to hear back if they will pay for it but again, the part isn't in yet either. I am also not able to secure my car anymore because with one door always open the doors will lock but the alarm doesn't work.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 232016

Focus

My door latch stopped working on my front driver's side door, seemingly out of nowhere. I noticed the issue when I had parked at work and the door was not staying shut after locking it.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Jul 152016

Focus

My drivers side latch failed on me one day, while I was driving and an alarm went off saying the door was open. I made a right hand turn, when my door began to swing open. Luckily, I was at a complete stop before turning. My car had about 70,000 miles on it, when the incident ocurred. I took it to a mechanic and they said the latch rod was broken and had to be replaced. They told me to go to Ford and see if there was a recall on it. Went to the Ford dealership and they said there wasn't a safety issue recall and it would cost $500 to repair it. I don't understand how that's not a safety issue, when now I have to tie a bungee cord to keep it somewhat closed.

- Lindale, TX, USA

Aug 122016

Focus

Door latch recall my vehicle's driver side door swung open while making a right hand turn on a busy highway street and would not latch back when attempted to close. I took the car into the dealership to be repaired. The same day I researched and found a recall that went into affect on 8/4/16 that describes exactly what happened to me and covers the exact criteria of the recall to include, make, model, year of manufacture and location it was manufactured. The dealership advised there was no active recall for my vehicle so I escalated to the manufacture. After speaking with multiple Ford customer case associates they opened a case advising me that it appears my car is eligible for the recall but because the recall was so new that none of the consumers VIN numbers have been tied to the recall, therefore, they could not assist me. The dealership is advising me that I need to pay for this recall work and when they eventually add my VIN tot he recall that they would reimburse me for the repair. I do not feel as though I should pay for this repair out of pocket due to the known recall that exists. Ford was unable to assist me with the recall repair and the vehicle is still sitting at the Ford dealership awaiting repair.

- Portland, TN, USA

Aug 112016

Focus

My drivers side door opened while being operated and would not latch shut. I tried several times to shut it and it would not stay shut. I had to finish my drive to work holding the door shut. Im glad it was a door that I could hold shut because had it been any of the other doors, there could have been a collision. I had to have the door repaired myself since it is not under warrantee. I understand that other models were recalled and mine wasn't because a different company made the spring which is apparently what failed. Im sure that both companies made the spring to the same specifications and that the fault is in the design not the company that makes the springs.

- Moore, OK, USA

Aug 132016

Focus

Driver door latch failed while driving on highway, slightly turning right to change lanes. Diver door opened, and latch would not re-engage. Door had to be held shut until it could be safely parked, then tied shut from inside to travel to dealership.

- Watauga, TX, USA

Aug 162016

Focus

The driver side door latch would not latch. I have read that this is a common failure not only in the Focus but in many other Ford models many of which have already been recalled. The car was luckily stationary when the failure occurred.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA