Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Aug 222016

Today I was going home from work and my door opened and closed way too fast but I thought nothing of it so I just kept driving. As I drove off the door swings open on me. Well I stopped to take a look at all of my doors and then the back drivers door jammed on me and wouldn't close. So I tied a rope to the door to hold it tight and I held the font drivers door as I drove home for 1 hour! I managed to unjam the back door but my car is unable to close in the front so now I have to worry about a dead battery in the morning. When I called Ford they told me I have to pay out of pocket because there is no recall for my car when I have seen this complaint for over 400,000 Ford Focus cars! I live in Florida how am I suppose to get to work in this heat? how am I to trust Ford if they wont even help me. I need answers my car in unsafe right now

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 182016

The door latch is broken, and the door will no longer close properly. When exiting the vehicle, we noticed the door would no longer close.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Aug 092016

Making a right handed turn into a parking lot and the driver side door came open. After getting stopped and trying to close the door I noticed that it would not stay shut. The door has to be held shut when driving, only was to get it to stay closed is to drive down the road so the auto locking turns on and open and close it several times for the door lock to catch it. Talked to the dealership in ennis, tx on 08/09/2016 (9days ago as of this writing) and they refused to fix it unless I paid "around $600" for it. Tom, the guy I talked to said that there was a recall on these cars but my VIN fell out of the range and ever though it was the exact same car with the exact same problems the recall was issued for since my VIN had not been listed they were not going to take a proactive approach. Last thing he stated was that since I had a extended warranty that they may fix it under that. How ever after dealing with Ford on a horn issue I know that anything not exactly listed under the warranty does not fall under its protection. Before we got off the phone he said that he (tom) would looking into it and get back to me. Over a week ago and counting.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Aug 172016

The door latch assembly failed on the driver door, where the latch pawl and spring have broken, identical to the issue with the Ford fiesta & Ford Fusion recalls. Having worked at Ford, I know the fiesta & Fusion are near identical platforms that in the mindset of commonality of similar parts or the global world car strategy espoused by Ford for nearly a decade now, such a device would in all likelihood use the exact same latch pall and spring in all three platforms/vehicle make. The incident luckily occurred while stationary, but while shopping on 8/17/2016 and the door will not latch or lock. My wife proceeded to hold the door closed for the 7 mile return trip home through afternoon rush hour traffic, she is less than thrilled. Being this is a direct safety issue, need guidance in how to force Ford to correct their obvious responsibility on the issue as frankly no car oem should be held guiltless for such a safety device failure within 5 years of manufacture. Supposedly there is a recall potentially expanded to include the Ford Focus coming soon, but I need to do so now as the cost of the assembly and labor will likely approach $600 or more as the assembly oem cost to retail is over $300 alone.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Aug 162016

Was driving down the street when the drivers door came open and would not shut or latch.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 172016

The front driver's side door latch will not engage. The latch mechanism itself will not stay in the closed position.

- Starkville, MS, USA

Jul 162016

The door latch on my rear passenger door failed and the door flew open while the car was in motion. When I turned right out of my complex was when it opened. Ford issued a recall on vehicles including 2012 Ford focuses regarding this issue but did not include vehicles bought and registered in the state of Tennessee, where I live. I believe that because my car has demonstrated the problem that the recall addresses, they should be fixing it for free as part of the recall. I just had to pay $226 for the part to fix my door, and the part was on back order for a month.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jun 302016

Our VIN number is not covered under the current recall. While driving our rear passenger door popped open and will not stay closed. We had to bungee cord closed it for a month and a half until the back ordered part came in. Now we are paint $800 to have it fixed.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Aug 162016

The driver's side rear door will not latch. The latch looks broken compared to the other rear door latch, but unknown specifically what part is broken. The door latch broke when parked in our driveway. My husband opened the door to get something out of the back and when he closed it, it bounced back slightly and would not close. No injuries as a result of the latch breaking. Ford says (in a call on 8/16/16) our VIN is not a part of the recall and will not tell us if the latch on our car is the same part installed on vehicles that are a part of the recall. Our Ford service dealer is backordered on the part and will not have it available until Aug 31st, and Ford will not pay for the fix, which is estimated at $500-$600.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Aug 022016

On August 2nd, 2016, the back door latch on the driver side failed, and it will no longer hold the door closed. I had opened my back door to put my backpack in the backseat, and when I closed the door, it closed completely, but would not latch and hold the door shut. I now have a ratchet strap going from back door to back door, holding my door was stationary at the time. I didn't think too much about it beyond I needed to get it fixed, until I went to the Ford dealer to order a replacement part. I was told by the parts associate that the latch I needed was on back order. After a little research I found that Ford has recalls on the same model year Fusion and fiesta for this same failure, and there are some complaints surfacing about the Focus. Side note: 2 weeks later, I am still waiting on the replacement door latch mechanism. It really makes me think that Ford used the same part in the fiesta, Focus and Fusion models.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 122016

My car's steering wheel got stuck with a notice saying "power steering assist fault". the first time the problem occurred the car was backing up, and the problem went away when I parked and restarted the car. The second time the problem stayed... the cost to fix the problem was estimated at about $2000 (parts and labor) at the dealership. The mileage was around 60,000 at the time. Last week (08/12/2016, at about 72,000 miles), a warning came on about a door being open while I was parking. It was the one at the back on the driver's side. The door would not lock, so I tied it with a seatbelt to keep driving. Since then the car goes into panic mode now and then when I leave it locked, probably because the door moves and it feels like someone mechanically forced the latch open. I somehow feel lucky that none of the problems occurred while driving in traffic, but I am now concerned about something else failing (like a door flying open) in worse conditions.

- Denton, TX, USA

Aug 152016

My wife was backing out of our driveway and beginning to pull off and the driver door just flew open. The latch will not secure the door. She could have been seriously injured. My local Ford dealer is hub city Ford in crestview fl. And they said I have to pay for the repair.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Jul 172016

The driver door will no longer latch. The door will close completely but the latch does not engage to hold the door closed.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 122016

This is the 3rd time that this vehicle had a door latch failure. The right rear door open due to a defect in the door latch & this time the door hit a support column in a parking garage at the mall & damage the door. I filled a complaint twice on this vehicle here. Now I need to order a new latch for this door so that it can be secured. The car is parked again waiting for the part & then it will have to go to body shop to fix the damage to the door. Something needs to be done to address this problem with the door latches on these cars. I know that Ford has recall's for other vehicles with door latch problems. I am sure that the door latches on this vehicle is more then likely made to the same spec as the one's with the recall's or made by the same company. I see on the net that there are a lot of people that have the same problem with there Ford Focus like I am having.lucky for me that I can change the door latch since this is what I do for a living which is some 43 year's in the business. Even at that it still cost a lot of money for the part & the time it takes to get.the first door latch cost me $239.17, the second one was $206.26 with the discount that I get. Other people are paying as much as $600 a door to get fixed at the dealers. If this door hit a support column this time maybe next time it can hit a person which could result in a serious injury. If you need to get in touch call at 305-264-9728 or E-mail me at

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 112016

While driving on the freeway the rear driving door flew open. Car to the left of us had to swerve to avoid taking the door off. My daughter was sitting next to the door. And was trying to hold the door closed until I could pull over safely. This is is extremely dangerous to have to this happen to anyone!! took it to Ford and they said yes they are backed up with cars with same problem. What the heck?! and these are the same latches recalled in other vehicles!!

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Aug 072016

My family and I were preparing to drive from our home when my daughter told me the rear door would not close. After researching on the internet, I find that this is a common issue with some models of Ford cars. I took my car to a Ford dealership but have been told that although it is in fact the same defective part described in a recall, my vehicles's VIN number is not included as a recall. My door will not stay closed and I can't risk transporting my children as a result. Ford says it will cost me five hundred dollars to repair the part that has already been deemed unsafe and is being fixed at no charge in other vehicles because they have different VIN numbers.

- Ethridge, TN, USA

Aug 112016

Front driver side door would not latch properly, allowing the door to swing open while driving. I noticed this driving out of the parking lot at work. Extremely dangerous and could have caused damage to my vehicle and others on the road. Vehicle is unsafe to drive, and Ford has issued a recall for this issue ( but my VIN isn't one of the affected numbers.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Aug 112016

The door lock latch/actuator broke not allowing the door to shut and latch. This is the same problem many models of Ford vehicles have had and been recalled. But the recalled models don't cover all models affected with this defective latch. Vehicle was stationary fortunately.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 062016

I was parked in a parking lot. I got out to look for something in the back seat. I found what I was looking for, closed the driver's side passenger door and got back in the driver's seat. As I was backing out to leave, the back door that I had opened flew open and the warning light that a door was ajar came on. I could not get the door to stay closed. I had to tie it to something in the back seat with plastic bags which was the only thing I had. I took it to my dealer and was told that the door latch was on "back order" and it would not be available until September 2016 and would cost me $400 to fix because the vehicle had not been issued a recall....yet. So I have to figure a way to keep the door closed, not secured, until they can get the part in.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 112016

Rear driver side door not latching. Opened it to get personal stuff out and went to close it and the door just bounced back. Looked at the latch and it doesn't stay up.

- San Antonio, TX, USA