Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Jun 012016

Closed my drivers door in the driveway and the door wouldn't latch closed.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 262016

The driver side door will not latch closed. I cannot lock the car because of this. Only 33K miles on the vehicle. It will bounce back when it is shut and will open if not held closed while driving. Initial incident occurred when trying to close the door and it bounced back open.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 212016

Doors left side (both) latch failure-front and rear door will not stay closed-tech found latch is internally faulted stationary-doors would not latch, entering vehicle

- Sorrento, FL, USA

Jul 262016

I was driving down the street and my rear driver side door just opened as I was making a turn! luckily my work laptop did not fall out of the car or the door didn't hit the car next to me! I pulled over to shut the door but it would not stay shut. After further investigation it appears that something must be broken inside the door because it will not latch! as such I had to go buy some rope to tie the door handle to the door handle on the opposite side in order to keep the door closed so I could drive home safely.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Jul 252016

Left rear door latch broke. The door latch will not latch and the door will not stay closed. A bungee cord was needed to hold the door close and had to acknowledge that the door was open on the car warning system. Potential of someone falling out of car without bungee cords holding it closed. Vehicle was stationary when the latch failed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 252016

My rear driver side door latch is not catching. I was driving less than 25 mph and the door flung open with a 7 year old child in the back seat. I have attempted to close the door and it has not closed. I called to see if this was covered under the recall and the Ford customer service rep states that my car was not built in the Ford plant with the recall. This is a concern of mine because no matter what plant my car was built in no matter what plant it should be covered. This is clearly a part defect concern.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 222016

Driver side rear door will not latch closed. It happened when I arrived home and removed items from the back seat. Have to use seat belt to secure the door closed because the local Ford dealer wants to charge over 500 dollars to install a new latch assembly. When I drive the warning light on the instrument panel when come on every few minutes saying the rear door in open. This issue is very unsafe because I have a 19 month old that still has to ride in a car seat in the back.

- College Station, TX, USA

Jul 232016

Driver side door latches/unlatches whenever it wants while driving. Door won't latch shut when entering or exiting car. Driver door opened on its own driving down freeway today 7/23/16 and wouldn't latch back when I tried to shut the door. This has been going on for several months and has happened on multiple occasions. My car is less than 4 years old I shouldn't be having these problems. It is highly dangerous and needs to be addressed before serious injury or death occurs.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 012016

My 2012 Ford Focus has had two doors break during operation as is described in your current investigation titled "NHTSA action number: PE16001". the first door that malfunctioned was the driver's door. The second was the rear passenger door. In both cases, I had been driving the vehicle and parked, then upon attempting to close the door it would no longer latch. From that point on it was impossible to latch the door closed. In the case of the second/rear passenger door, my girlfriends' 9 year old sister was in that seat...when I went to open it for her to get out I discovered the door was open. This is extremely dangerous, obviously. I have also had to spend approximately $1000 repairing these doors at my local Ford dealership, as the car isn't operable in that condition and Ford denied my requests to pay for the repairs. I am aware that a similar problem in other Ford models has resulted in a recall, but for my specific model just your on-going investigation has taken place thusfar.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 212016

The driver's side door latch has failed and the door will not hold itself closed. When I attempt to lock the doors, it tries and immediately unlocks them. The latch mechanism itself can be pushed closed with your finger when the door is open however it doesn't actually stay closed. A spring forces it back open. The latch failed in the parking lot. When I got in to come home from work, the door would not latch closed. I thought maybe the seat belt or some other object got caught in it however that was not the case. In order to drive home, I had to hold the door closed as best as I could with one hand while attempting to steer and operate turn signals which is extraordinarily unsafe and distracting.

- Colby, KS, USA

Jul 112016

My son's 2012 Ford Focus left rear door flung open on its own while driving on the freeway. Thankful no one was injured, and when he pulled to the shoulder he realized that he could not get the to engage to close or lock. He struggled with it for a few minutes, and realized it was useless. He then had to drive home holding rear door closed while trying to safely drive the car. Ford needs to recall the door latches on these vehicles. Drivers risk death and injury.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jul 132016

When I approached my vehicle parked in a private parking lot I noticed the driver door was ajar. I tried to shut it multiple times with no success. I ended up manually holding the door closed, which was very unsafe, and took my vehicle to the nearest Ford service center for repairs. I was eventually determined that it was a faulty door latch that was extremely expensive to have replaced. Ugh!

- Santee, CA, USA

Jun 172016

When I approached my vehicle parked in a private parking lot I noticed the left rear door was ajar. I tried to shut it multiple times with no success. I ended up using a strap to keep my door closed, which seemed very unsafe, and took my vehicle to the nearest Ford service center for repairs. I was eventually determined that it was a faulty door latch that was extremely expensive to have replaced. Ugh!

- Santee, CA, USA

May 272015

Door latches on the Ford focuses have a tendency to break without any warning. I opened my rear left door to deposit something in the backseat, tried to close the door, and I realized it wouldn't shut because the door latch had broken. Luckily, I was parked in a parking lot, but I had to drive the car down to the dealership holding the door closed the entire way because I didn't have any way to wire it shut. It posed a serious safety hazard.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 202016

The rear driver's side door latch failed. This is the second latch that I have has failed on the car. The driver's side door latch failed in November 2015. I was pulling out of a parking spot (going in reverse) when the door open warning light came on. I had just put my dog in the car and closed the door. The door latch failed suddenly and the door will not close.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Jul 112016

Driver side door came open while car was in motion, being driven on a city street. Driver side door will not stay closed. Door latch has failed.

- Seffner, FL, USA

Jul 142016

With 65300 miles on my vehicle, the drivers door latch failed. The door will not latch.I must secure the door with a bungee cord. My dealer informed me that my vehicle VIN is not part of any recall and that the repair of the single door is $600. No accommodation of any kind was offered.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 172016

Driver door latch has failed. Will not keep the door closed. Same problem as Ford Fusion and Ford fiesta. Please make Ford add the Focus for a door latch recall. Car was stationary when defect occurred. Went to closed the door and it would latch.

- Rogers, AR, USA

May 122016

The drivers side rear door latch would not latch. I had to tie up the door from the inside and tape the door shut from the exterior. With the door not able to latch the car could not be driven or the door would fly open. I bought a latch from Ford and replaced the entire a shop. Total cost over $350. I may have purchased the same latch that came with the vehicle. This could happen again on any door. The car was parked when I came back I noticed the door would not shut. Therefore I tied it and taped it to get home.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 162016

Driver side door will not stay closed. Worked fine then would not latch close. The door now will swing open unless held in place.

- Conroe, TX, USA