2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 13)

Jul 302016

Focus

In March 2016 the driver side door latch broke. As we were getting ready to leave home I opened the car door, but when I tried to close the door it would not latch. At this time, we were lucky that the car was in our driveway and not in motion or away from home. We had to tie the door closed to get it to our local Ford dealer. The dealer decided the latch was defective and needed to be replaced. This cost almost $500. Then, in July 2016 the latch on the front passenger door failed. In this instance, while my 16 year old son was driving, the passenger door swung open. Luckily, it did not hit anything as it swung open. He slowed down for his passenger to close the door, but just like the driver side door earlier this year, the door would not latch. My son's friend had to hold the door closed the entire drive to our house (about 5 miles on a highly traveled road that has a speed limit of 55 mph). This could have been a very serious or dangerous situation if my son had been driving on a highway or had been alone in the car. We immediately called our local Ford dealer to schedule an appointment and called Ford customer relations in hopes that they would assist with the cost of replacement. Even though the Ford Focus is under investigation for many vehicles having the same issue and other Ford vehicles have been recalled for the same issue, Ford has stated that they can not help with the cost of replacement because the vehicle has not been recalled. To make matters worse, there are no replacement latches available in the dallas area, and it will be almost a week before a new latch will be available. We also requested to have both rear latches replaced because I no longer feel it is safe for my 16 year old son to drive this vehicle with its original latches, but I was told that the rear latches are on back order and will not be available for at least a month.

- Forney, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Focus

The rear door latch will not latch. The door just suddenly flew open while I was driving and now will not latch shut. I was on a city street when it happened.

Aug 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the driver side door opened independently and failed to secure. The contact coasted to the side of the road then was able to resume driving by holding the door handle of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 312016

Focus

While driving my Focus and making a right turn my driver door opened in mid turn and flew open. I had to pull over on the highway since I tried to close the door and it would not close. After looking at the door the locking mech would not go back up it stayed down.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Focus

Closed my drivers door in the driveway and the door wouldn't latch closed.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 262016

Focus

The driver side door will not latch closed. I cannot lock the car because of this. Only 33K miles on the vehicle. It will bounce back when it is shut and will open if not held closed while driving. Initial incident occurred when trying to close the door and it bounced back open.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 212016

Focus

Doors left side (both) latch failure-front and rear door will not stay closed-tech found latch is internally faulted stationary-doors would not latch, entering vehicle

- Sorrento, FL, USA

Jul 262016

Focus

I was driving down the street and my rear driver side door just opened as I was making a turn! luckily my work laptop did not fall out of the car or the door didn't hit the car next to me! I pulled over to shut the door but it would not stay shut. After further investigation it appears that something must be broken inside the door because it will not latch! as such I had to go buy some rope to tie the door handle to the door handle on the opposite side in order to keep the door closed so I could drive home safely.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Jul 252016

Focus

Left rear door latch broke. The door latch will not latch and the door will not stay closed. A bungee cord was needed to hold the door close and had to acknowledge that the door was open on the car warning system. Potential of someone falling out of car without bungee cords holding it closed. Vehicle was stationary when the latch failed.

Jul 252016

Focus

My rear driver side door latch is not catching. I was driving less than 25 mph and the door flung open with a 7 year old child in the back seat. I have attempted to close the door and it has not closed. I called to see if this was covered under the recall and the Ford customer service rep states that my car was not built in the Ford plant with the recall. This is a concern of mine because no matter what plant my car was built in no matter what plant it should be covered. This is clearly a part defect concern.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 222016

Focus

Driver side rear door will not latch closed. It happened when I arrived home and removed items from the back seat. Have to use seat belt to secure the door closed because the local Ford dealer wants to charge over 500 dollars to install a new latch assembly. When I drive the warning light on the instrument panel when come on every few minutes saying the rear door in open. This issue is very unsafe because I have a 19 month old that still has to ride in a car seat in the back.

- College Station, TX, USA

Jul 232016

Focus

Driver side door latches/unlatches whenever it wants while driving. Door won't latch shut when entering or exiting car. Driver door opened on its own driving down freeway today 7/23/16 and wouldn't latch back when I tried to shut the door. This has been going on for several months and has happened on multiple occasions. My car is less than 4 years old I shouldn't be having these problems. It is highly dangerous and needs to be addressed before serious injury or death occurs.

Apr 012016

Focus

My 2012 Ford Focus has had two doors break during operation as is described in your current investigation titled "NHTSA action number: PE16001". the first door that malfunctioned was the driver's door. The second was the rear passenger door. In both cases, I had been driving the vehicle and parked, then upon attempting to close the door it would no longer latch. From that point on it was impossible to latch the door closed. In the case of the second/rear passenger door, my girlfriends' 9 year old sister was in that seat...when I went to open it for her to get out I discovered the door was open. This is extremely dangerous, obviously. I have also had to spend approximately $1000 repairing these doors at my local Ford dealership, as the car isn't operable in that condition and Ford denied my requests to pay for the repairs. I am aware that a similar problem in other Ford models has resulted in a recall, but for my specific model just your on-going investigation has taken place thusfar.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 212016

Focus

The driver's side door latch has failed and the door will not hold itself closed. When I attempt to lock the doors, it tries and immediately unlocks them. The latch mechanism itself can be pushed closed with your finger when the door is open however it doesn't actually stay closed. A spring forces it back open. The latch failed in the parking lot. When I got in to come home from work, the door would not latch closed. I thought maybe the seat belt or some other object got caught in it however that was not the case. In order to drive home, I had to hold the door closed as best as I could with one hand while attempting to steer and operate turn signals which is extraordinarily unsafe and distracting.

- Colby, KS, USA

Jul 112016

Focus

My son's 2012 Ford Focus left rear door flung open on its own while driving on the freeway. Thankful no one was injured, and when he pulled to the shoulder he realized that he could not get the to engage to close or lock. He struggled with it for a few minutes, and realized it was useless. He then had to drive home holding rear door closed while trying to safely drive the car. Ford needs to recall the door latches on these vehicles. Drivers risk death and injury.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jul 132016

Focus

When I approached my vehicle parked in a private parking lot I noticed the driver door was ajar. I tried to shut it multiple times with no success. I ended up manually holding the door closed, which was very unsafe, and took my vehicle to the nearest Ford service center for repairs. I was eventually determined that it was a faulty door latch that was extremely expensive to have replaced. Ugh!

- Santee, CA, USA

Jun 172016

Focus

When I approached my vehicle parked in a private parking lot I noticed the left rear door was ajar. I tried to shut it multiple times with no success. I ended up using a strap to keep my door closed, which seemed very unsafe, and took my vehicle to the nearest Ford service center for repairs. I was eventually determined that it was a faulty door latch that was extremely expensive to have replaced. Ugh!

- Santee, CA, USA

May 272015

Focus

Door latches on the Ford focuses have a tendency to break without any warning. I opened my rear left door to deposit something in the backseat, tried to close the door, and I realized it wouldn't shut because the door latch had broken. Luckily, I was parked in a parking lot, but I had to drive the car down to the dealership holding the door closed the entire way because I didn't have any way to wire it shut. It posed a serious safety hazard.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 202016

Focus

The rear driver's side door latch failed. This is the second latch that I have has failed on the car. The driver's side door latch failed in November 2015. I was pulling out of a parking spot (going in reverse) when the door open warning light came on. I had just put my dog in the car and closed the door. The door latch failed suddenly and the door will not close.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Jul 112016

Focus

Driver side door came open while car was in motion, being driven on a city street. Driver side door will not stay closed. Door latch has failed.

- Seffner, FL, USA