2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 9 of 13)

May 102016

Focus

The front driver side door fails to latch normally and must be repeatedly slammed hard to get it to latch and stay closed. The door has also come unlatched and opened while slowly driving around corners in a parking garage. I believe the problem is in the door latch itself. My Ford dealer said this problem on this car was not covered by a recall yet and quoted me $400 for the repair, though I've noticed similar recalls on Ford fiestas and edges of the same model year. I've also noticed that this problem is already under investigation by the NHTSA.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Apr 232016

Focus

My front driver's side door latch is defective. I was getting into the car on 4/23/16, closed the door and it bounced back open. The latch would not latch until I spent approximately 10 minutes pulling the door back open and closing it again. Twice now (once while stationary and once while driving) my door has popped open. The first time the was stationary, the back door was closed and popped my front door open. The second time I was driving around a corner while leaving work and my door just popped open. I have been in contact with Ford and they have said that there are many Ford Focus' with my same issue, but that they haven't issued a recall. I am now having to pay $59 to have them inspect my door. If my extended warranty approved it I will have to pay either a $50 or $100 deductible to get it fixed. If they do not approve it, if I wanted it fixed I will have to pay around $750 to get it replaced.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 102016

Focus

While pulling back from a parking lot, the rear driver side door signal showed up, and the door opened. From that moment, it is impossible to close correctly the door as the latch doesn't close correctly. I guess it is related to investigation PE16001.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 232016

Focus

The drivers side passenger door sont close and it wont stay closed. It just flaps open. The lock mechanism never engages.

- Belton, TX, USA

Apr 112016

Focus

I own a Ford Focus 2012. The door latch is defective and the drivers side door does not close. While my specific model is not being recalled, similar models are for the same cause. This cannot be concidence and now Ford is charging me 600 to fix it. I've read online that this is common for Ford Focus models. I do have documentation of them replacing the latch. I also requested that I keep the old latch for proof.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Apr 142016

Focus

4/14/16 my wife drove from ft. Lauderdale to orlando with my one year old son to visit her sister in the hospital since she was having a baby at winnie palmer hospital in orlando. Upon leaving the hospital, she opened the door to get in and when she tried to shut it, it would not latch. We had to get it towed to a Ford dealership(sun state Ford) nearby because I told her it was not safe to drive it even 8 miles to the dealership. I called the closest dealership to let them know that it was coming and they told me that this is a recall item. But upon researching the model and VIN # I was told that this model is not covered under the recall so I would have to pay out of pocket for all repairs. The car is a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback and only has about 17K miles on it. I asked if other vehicles have the recall why didn't this one have it since it is just as dangerous regardless of the specific model. I was told that is up to Ford to decide that and if the vehicle doesn't fall under the recall then we would have to pay for it. I have to have them inspect all of the doors now which they will probably charge me for as well. So my wife is in orlando with our one year old without a car and standing at the hospital with our son and a car seat in her hand waiting for a family member to pick her up. I don't feel we should have to pay for this. Do I have any recourse with Ford for cost to repair this?

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Apr 082016

Focus

Right front door open while driving, door latch will not latch door closed. Latch is defective. Had to tie door with a rope to get vehicle home in the middle of the night. This vehicle is a 2012 Ford Focus sel model with a millage of 61590. This could have had a bad outcome if someone was in the passenger seat at the time this happened & was leaning against the door they could have fallen out & maybe struck by a car that was passing by even if the seat belt was holding them. Also if someone was on the side of the vehicle they could have gotten hit by the door as it opened. Ford has a recall for other vehicle with the same problem including the 2012 Ford fiesta.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 072016

Focus

The door latch on the drivers side rear door failed. The door now does not latch at all and will swing open while driving I've had to tie the door down to prevent it from swinging open while driving. No damage has been done to the door.

- Denver, CO, USA

Mar 202016

Focus

In July of 2015, the left rear door latch, that is apparently plastic, failed and would not allow the door to latch and remain closed. During that occurance the vehicle was stationary. I paid for and replaced the part on my own. Now, in March of 2016, the right front door latch failed. At that time, my 7 yr old granddaughter had entered the vehicle and closed the door. While making a left turn onto the freeway, the door suddenly opened. My granddaughter always wears her seatbelt, which thankfully helped us to avoid a very serious tragedy. We have a case number with Ford concerning this defect, but have not been able to bring the vehicle to them yet. The case number is cas-9127854.

- Tonopah, AZ, USA

Mar 252016

Focus

Drivers door came flying open when backing out of driveway. Door will close but will not latch. This was very scary and have not had any issues with it till now. Car has less then 50K miles and this is unacceptable by Ford to use such substandard parts and on such a safety sensitive area of the car. New latch is anywhere from 180-250 and around 400 labor to change.part number cm5Z54219A65his what failed.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 232016

Focus

Driver's side rear passenger door will not latch closed. Vehicle was off and stationary in garage. No amount of locking or unlocking car with both key transmitter or button in vehicle would latch door securely. Door had to be tied shut in order to tow car to Ford dealer for service.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 182016

Focus

When making right hand turn on public road, my driver's side rear door swung open and is now inoperable due to it's inability to latch. Door latch assembly (Ford part number 219A64) failure at less than 50,000 miles.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Mar 192016

Focus

The driver door will not close. The problem started when my wife closed the door as she left the supermarket. It looks like a small tab broke off the closing mechanism. My wife had to hold the door closed to drive home, and I used a bunge cord to keep it from opening as I took it to the dealer this morning. It was very dangerous as the door would try to open on curves and when stopping, and one hand must stay on the door. I understand the 2012 and 2013 Fusion and escape have already been recalled for this problem, and I found numerous posts on the internet reciting exactly this problem. I also understand from the internet that the NHTSA opened an investigation of the Focus regarding this problem in January of 2016. My 2012 Ford Focus titantium has approximately 67,000 miles. By the way, I also have a 2013 Ford Fusion titantium that I have read was recalled in 2015 for the same problem. Although I have received other 2015 recall notices for the Fusion, I have not received one related to the door problem.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 152016

Focus

We were driving home from a family vacation and stopped to get ice cream. When we got back in the car, the passenger door lock was messed up and the door wouldn't stay closed. We were a long ways from home so had to tie the back doors together to keep the door from flying open. The door latch attachment has been recalled on several other Ford vehicles but not on the Ford Fusion. From what I have been reading on-line, there enough complaints about the Ford Fusion to recall the part for it too.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Mar 112016

Focus

The door latches are failing without warning. Upon exiting the vehicle after stopping the latches have failed and the doors will not stay closed. In August 2015, the driver's rear door latch failed upon opening the door to put my purse in the backseat, it would not close after that. I had to drive it to the dealership while holding the door closed. This proved to be dangerous as I drive a manual car. Now the driver's door latch failed upon exiting the vehicle. This is a safety hazard as it can strand drivers without notice. The door has to be tied shut so it can be driven to the dealership who had to order the part. Ford is aware of the problem and have recalled the door latches on other model years of Focus, fiesta, and Fusion.

- Deming, NM, USA

Mar 012016

Focus

Vehicle with 42000 miles, the rear drive side passenger door latch fails to secure the door. The door latch mechanism does lock / fasten / engage in the conventional manner that doors do when the door is "shut". at present the door is required to be tied / secured from the inside of the vehicle to prevent the door from swinging open, while the vehicle is operating.

- Henderson, NV, USA

May 012015

Focus

Three of my 4 door latches stopped functioning completely. They did not work whether the car was stationary, in motion, driving, or turning. We had to tie the door handles to each other from the inside to keep them from flying open while driving. When you pushed them shut from the outside, they would bounce back open. This also caused constant warning lights/sounds from the dash. Ford stated there was a recall, but ours were not covered because my 4 door latches were packaged as a 4 pack whereas the serial numbers for the recalled latches were sold in individual packaging. So therefore, I was not covered due to a loop hole. The doors not shutting properly (ever) caused water to leak in and cause other problems such as the window motor shorting out. I reached out to corporate and customer service and was told they would not pay for the repairs. I paid for the repairs out of pocket because I had to.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Feb 192016

Focus

Doors fly open when driving, this car is 3 years old less than 60,000 miles and in the last 4 months 3 of my four doors have flown open while car is in motion. Twice now when my teen driver was by herself rounding a corner from a stop sign and once just going straight ( drivers door) at 40 mph.

- Artesia, CA, USA

Feb 122016

Focus

As part of my job, I drive senior citizens to the store, etc., in my car. On Friday, Feb. 12, 2016, I drove an elderly couple; the wife sat in the back seat behind the driver's seat. I assisted her out of the car and then attempted to shut her door, which would not latch shut and still won't. I shudder to think what would have happened if the car had been moving when that happened. To get home without the door flying open, I strapped it shut using seat belts. The dealer can get me in tomorrow (Tuesday). I googled this issue and found many stories about other Ford cars being recalled because of this same issue, just not mine, the 2012 Ford Focus, and people asking why the Focus hasn't been included in the recall. Needless to say, I am quite upset over the potential danger my riders have been in, and that I knew nothing about it, and do not understand why Ford is ignoring the Focus while recalling the rest of them if these latches pose a safety risk. In the meantime, how can I do my job if I know my riders are at risk?

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 052015

Focus

2012 Ford Focus. Rear passenger door flew open while child safety lock was engaged. Door will no longer latch. While investigating this issue I have learned this is a common problem with the 2012 Ford Focus. It is also a $600 fix. This is not a ware and tear problem. Doors should never fail risking passengers safety. I have used a strap to tie the door shut to keep it from flying open and hitting something or slamming shut on a passenger while driving.

- Aurora, CO, USA