Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 12 of 34)

May 252015

I was driving on a four lane highway around 1030 pm.. I started up a hill when all of a sudden and I do mean sudden! lost all power to the transmission and if there had been a lot of cars on the road I could of been injured or killed.. I have had previous problems with the transmission shuttering rolls back when you come to a stop on a hill..

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jul 022015

While accelerating and merging onto the interstate, the car surged forward briefly, made a banging sound and shifted by itself into neutral with the check engine light illuminating. After coasting to a stop on the shoulder, I placed the vehicle into park and shut off the engine, after a minute or so, I restarted the engine an placed it into drive. The car accelerated to about 20 mph and again went into neutral. After stopping and restarting one more time I placed the car into low and carefully drove to the nearest exit where I stopped and called for a tow truck. The car was then towed to lithia Ford.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 062015

I was driving my Ford Focus one morning in reverse after pulling out of a parking lot. When I went back T drive and started accelerating the car didn't accelerate. I got the error light saying " service car immediately" I finally got the car home (thankful I was only a few hundred yards away). Car has since been incredibly shaky and sporadic with the acceleration. I had the car taken to auto zone for a engine test and was informed the car has been getting stuck in first gear. Its clearly something to do with the terribly designed transmission that Ford did.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Aug 172014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While accelerating at various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate and jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Rowland, NC, USA

Jun 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration. The contact had to shift into park in order to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission control module failed. As a result, the vehicle transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed. The failure recurred once. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Greenville, OH, USA

May 012015

Car lost total ability to accelerate, as if it slipped into neutral. I was attempting to get into the passing lane. The transmission failed to shift but went into a state that appeared to be neutral. The rpms went through the roof and the car was suddenly decelerating as I was trying to merge into the passing lane, a large truck literally almost collided with my rear end as the event was so spontaneous that I had little ability or experience in dealing with such a situation. Pulled over to collect my wits, shut the car off and proceeded on after a while. The car was taken to Ford dealership, russ milne in macomb mi, they told me there was nothing they could do without being able to replicate the event. Its obvious Ford knows of this problem yet the dealership sends me back on the road with a known faulty transmission. Would not sell this car to someone else (dont want that on my head) and too little equity to trade-in (who would take it anyways). Ford is playing with a ticking time-bomb.. someone will get killed because of this. I now stay in the slow lane.. dont try to pass and just pray. No $$ to buy a new car and I have to drive this thing to keep my job/house/food/clothing. Trapped.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Aug 012014

While driving (at multiple speeds, on multiple occasions), transmission disengages for absolutely no reason and car must be parked and restarted to move again. The engine does not stall, and you can rev the engine, but transmission will not engage (like being in neutral) to move vehicle. Took Ford dealership multiple times to fix the issue because they needed an error code to work from, even though anecdotal evidence suggests that this is a well know defect of the transmission control module (I.e. computer chip that regulates the transmission), in this vehicle, which was eventually replaced (and now the car runs fine). Submitting this complaint because it caused multiple dangerous road situations where I could not power the vehicle on a freeway with traffic at high speeds. This could cause injury or death that is completely avoidable by the replacement of one computer chip, and Ford is most likely aware of it....updated 07/30/15

- Oakland, CA, USA

Nov 202014

I bought the car used in November or 2014. After a few days of driving there was this a loud boom when accelerating from a stop light. After that the transmission would shutter so bad the car was not drive-able. I contacted the dealership where I bought it and they tested and told me it was the worst shuttering they had ever recorded. They told me Ford would fix it for free but the part was on back order. I waited for over 2 months and they finally had the part. After getting the vehicle fixed it drove fine for about 7500 miles and then the shuttering started to occur again lightly at first but slowly increasing. I am now out of warranty and stuck in a loan with a car that doesn't drive like it should. I have owned many Ford in the past and never had a single issue until now.

- Hatley, WI, USA

Jun 022015

Was traveling at about 35 mph, car lost power, rpms went up, car started rolling backwards. After a few minutes and tries I was able to get the car home (happened 2 times on way home also)

- Laughlin, NV, USA

Apr 272015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving 40 mph, the transmission failed and the vehicle stalled. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer where the repairs were unknown, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Jun 052015

Entering expressway the car lost power. The engine continued to run but there was no drive train. This cause a very unsafe condition as there was no notice at all. I was almost hit in the rear due to this. I coasted to the side and shut down the car and restarted. The car went into gear and I started driving. Less than an a mile it happened again. I continued to stay I the right lane and drove slowly. I called the Ford dealer that has performed all the work on this car and told them I was bringing it in. During my trip to the dealer (akins Ford winder ga.) the condition happened 12 more times. The check engine light did come on as well as a notice saying that the "hill assist was not available". I have had this car returned to the dealer for recall related to transmission issues as notified by Ford. This also appears to be a big issue with other owners across the country.

- Nicholson, GA, USA

Aug 072013

At 12,738 miles I took to dealer and complained about sluggish acceleration. At 14,886 miles I took to dealer and complained about clutch shudder and they installed new clutch and input shaft seals and axle seals, reinstalled trany with new hardware. Also complained that car would not start twice, on first turn of key. At 14886 miles, I was on highway accelerating from a stop. I got up to about 35 miles an hour and the car suddenly seemed to downshift, coming almost to a complete stop. Then it was very slow to accelerate up to speed again. This happened at two more successive stop signs, causing the vehicle behind me to have to slow down suddenly to avoid running into me. I also complained about the car sometimes scooting on the pavement upon acceleration as if "burning rubber" or "peeling out" also complained that one time, I turned the key off and I could still hear some kind of noise in the dash like something was still "working" like a cd player or something, which I wasn't even using.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Mar 022012

Above said vehicles transmission considered to be a powershift transmission has issues of jerking at low speeds of 20 mph or upon acceleration. There is shimming and shuttering and the noise of what sounds like clanging metal parts. The jerking motion can be issue as the vehicle appears to lunge forward. Ford replaced the bands and clutch assembly but this issue seems to still appear on occasion. Ford advises vehicle is in normal specs and that this is the operation characteristics of this transmission. Not happy with this vehicle since I purchased but what options do I have ?

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle started to lose power and stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, but they could not locate a failure. When the failure occurred, the vehicle would restart but could not move. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Kapolei, HI, USA

May 102015

When excellerating the car shuddered shifting into 2nd gear, had loss of speed and check engine light came on. This continued until the car was shut off for several hours and then drove fine. This pattern of shuddering and not shifting correctly happened for 1 week until I was able to get an appointment with the dealership where I purchased the car. The transmission seal was replaced and after picking up the car, it shuddered and the check engine light came back on yet again. It was so bad that I was not able to climb a hill on the interstate and the more I pushed on the gas the slower I went and the RPM's climed to 5 1/2 which it has never done. With fear of blowing up the engine, I had to pull off the interstate and shut the car off for 5 minutes. I was then able to drive home and back to the dealership the next morning. The transmission control module (tcm) was replaced and the car now shifts fine. I had complained on several occasions of the shuddering and lack of shifting and loss of power on other occasions when getting my oil changed and was told that the tcm was calibrated to the current specs but it would continue intermittently since I purchased the car new in 6/2012. It was worse in very cold weather. I had received a letter from Ford extending the transmission seal warranty to 100,000 miles and the tcm to 150,000 miles. This has definitely been a hassle and problem. Ford did a crappy job of addressing it and should not continue to build cars with the duel ability of standard/automatic shifting.

- Florence, KY, USA

May 222015

The car shudders/hesitate when going from first O second gear in the aromatic transmission/6 speed transmission. I have had it checked by a Ford dealership and they informed me the clutch/transmission is going. This is the second transmission for this care and now I am looking at a third one to be put in. Ford has made a transmission that is faulty in M eyes.

- Kewaskum, WI, USA

Feb 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving at various speeds and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. All of the warning indicators on the instrument panel illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine had a leak and needed to be repaired and the brake line and circuit board failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 012015

The car has serious problems with trying to shift correctly. The car hesitates and lurches when accelerating and downshifting. At higher speeds on the freeway the engine is incredibly loud as if it's stuck in the wrong gear. Now the dealer discovered a transmission fluid leak as a result of this transmission problem. I see on-line hundreds if not thousands of complaints on this vehicle for the same issue. This car is unsafe. I never know whether it will hesitate or shudder when taking off so I drive it as little as possible. Having the air conditioner running only amplifies the problem. My car was purchased new and in short order will pass the 3 year warranty. My dealer, fox Ford in grand rapids, Michigan has a repair part estimate of several weeks to 6 months. The same message from two weeks ago. I invite any of your investigators to drive this car and determine how road worthy it is. Right now I'm stuck with a car that can't be traded in or sold.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 182012

The transmission on the 2012 Ford Focus is erratic and hesitates from a stop. After slowing down, it stutters at lower speeds. Transmission is chattering and clunking at lower speeds. We have had the vehicle in for service at several Ford dealerships, and the vehicle is still not running correctly. The transmission has now seized up and has to be replaced and Ford does not want to cover any of the costs.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Jun 022013

While driving the car, I noticed that the car was shifting odd. There was no power in the low gears. Shifting from 1st to 2nd was very harsh. When I brought it to Ford they said I needed a new clutch. I bought the car with 30000 miles on it and was surprised by this. It was replaced under warranty. Then in September of 2014 I started having the same issues. During that time I had put on 40000 or so. Brought it back to Ford and they said it was a part that was "recalled". I had the seals and everything else replaced under the 14M01 recall. This included a new clutch again. Now it is May 2015, I have driven the car about 20000 or so from the last time I had any work done and all of the symptoms of my last to repairs are back. I need another new clutch (this will be the 4th in the car). Considering all of my driving is on the highway this not good. It is a safety concern.

- North Kingstown , RI, USA