2012 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 34 of 35)

Jul 112012

Focus 4-cyl

The trunk lid is out of alignment the vehicle shudders at acceleration major suspension work required do to engineering and production engine shudders and clunks when shutting off rough idle and engine misses. Problems are inconsistent.

- Berryville, VA, USA

Apr 122012

Focus 4-cyl

This is a ongoing problem with my Focus. When accelerating from a stop the Focus's automatic dsg transmission (in D) will quickly shift to a higher gear in an effort to minimize fuel consumption. During a stopped turn at a intersection this leads to a unsafe condition where commanded acceleration takes several seconds to happen. The problem happens like this: The car accelerates at a stop sign or parking lot. The car accelerates to 10-15 miles per hour. The driver lets off the gas during the "turn" part. The transmission shifts to second or a higher gear. The driver then commands a large acceleration - say due to oncoming traffic - and nothing will happen for several seconds. This is because the dsg transmission needs to shift sequentially into first and this takes several seconds. Also it appears that the powertrain is disconnected while this shifting takes place. When the transmission finally selects first the acceleration can be sudden and unexpected. This has happened to me several times and I believe it is a dangerous condition. It can be avoided by manually selecting first - then shifting to D when the turn is complete. The car jerks, shutter.jumps, misshifts, rattles. The car has been back 3 times and reprogram 2 time tbs, ABS.PCM. This car is junk and need be fixed.

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

May 202012

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that when he applied the accelerator from a stopped position, the vehicle stalled and nearly caused crashes while in traffic. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 4,800.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

Jul 022012

Focus 4-cyl

When accelerating car jumps or hops violently. Engine makes grinding/chattering noise when changing gears. Experience roll back when on a slight incline. Power shift 6 speed is not safe. Have trouble crossing lanes of traffic for the jumping/launch judder problem.

- Lebanon, VA, USA

Mar 292012

Focus 4-cyl

Since day one of the purchase of my (March ) 2012 Ford Focus the steering "feels" like it is constantly wandering, after an hour drive time, your arm is give out from the stress. My car also seems to have a flutter in the transmission or engine during take off. The car will also roll back while stopped on an incline. The dealer checked steering the 4th day after purchase and assured me the steering was fine, that it was new & tight. I did recieve a recall on the transmission to upgrade or modify some type of chip. I cannot tell any improvment since the upgrade. My wife & son hate to drive my car because they are afraid of the steering and rolling back....by the way it is an automatic transmission---I have never experienced this on any vehicle that I have owned in the past.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

Feb 142012

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact started the vehicle and the vehicle accelerated rapidly even with the brake pedal engaged. The vehicle failed to slow down and crashed into a cement wall. There were no personal injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. In addition, the manufacturer issued a customer satisfaction program under reference number 123B7 (transmission control module) and after the recall repair was performed, the vehicle rolled away with the gear in park. In order for the vehicle to remain stationary, a block was placed against the two rear tires. Also, a strong antifreeze odor emitted inside of the vehicle and an oil leak was visible on the ground. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 12,917. Updated 08/23/12 updated 09/24/2012

- Portersville, PA, USA

Apr 202012

Focus 4-cyl

I was driving on freeway at 5 mph due to traffic and all of a sudden my 2012 Ford Focus shut down with no warning it sort of scared me because didn't know why? I said ok maybe just a coinsidence but to my surprise. It happened again on freeway since thats my daily route was going 45mph and again turned off I took to get serviced since I drive from riverside to burbank everyday thought maybe needs to get serviced and mentioned to fellow a Ford but said well if it happens again bring it in and will check it out so I said ok well hopefully not but it happend for 3rd time and I was going 70 mph and almost got in an accident thank god no one was next to me had to stop because it turned off completelty but this time said transmission on screen so I took it to Ford and I explained everything to them because I'm scared I'm not gonna make it home to my family again because going at 70 mph on freeway and all of a sudden car shuts down imagine how scared I was..... the people at Ford checked it out and took it for a drive on freeway and said it was fine nothing came up but hello it doesn't happen everyday they explained they checked other Ford stores to see if they have heard of such problem and supposedly it hasn't but I'm reading some of these complaints and I see some are related so I need to find out wht to do because I honestly do not feel safe driving this car. Just thinking when am I going to crash or die. Not fair that they don't want to see the problem so what needs to happen for them to do something for me to die.... I don't even let my wife drive it because it is not safe.....

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

May 102011

Focus 4-cyl

I bought the 2012 Ford Focus sel on May 5th 2012. The car has had both front struts replaced, at 69 miles!! the car jerks and refuses to go when you give it gas after being completely stopped, I was almost hit pulling out onto a busy road because the care would not go!!!! the transmission needs to be replaced in this car, however grey daniels Ford in brandon Mississippi will not do that, so I have driven this vehicle approximately a week and a half since buying on May 5th, the rest of the time it has been in the shop. Ford should have to fix these vehicles correctly. Stop putting a bandaid on the problem and fix it already!!!! I guess they'll wait until someone gets killed because of their neglect to do anything about the problems.....but then who knows that might not even get their attention. I will never purchase another Ford vehicle, that I can guarantee!!!

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jun 192012

Focus 4-cyl

The vehicle was parked. I started it up and backed out of the parking space. I shifted into drive and began moving forward. After going approximately 20 feet the "I" sign illuminated on the instrument panel and the message "steering malfunction, needs service" came on, along with the alarm jingle. I tried to steer the car out of the middle of the drive lane and managed to get it over to the side, but the steering was practically frozen. I turned off the ignition and looked for any obvious signs of trouble, but could find none. After reading through the owner's manual and checking the engine compartment, I restarted the car (about 20 minutes after I shut it off) and no warning sign came on. I test drove it in the parking lot for a minute to see if the steering would function properly and then drove home and experienced no further problems. I took it to the Ford autoway dealership for inspection and they diagnosed the problem as stemming from an ABS "corrupted" program. They told me the epas gets it power through the ABS. They rebooted the ABS program and I've had no further problems.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Jun 222012

Focus 4-cyl

New car...... this has happened 3 times since date of purchase 5/31/12.......... from a stopped position and accelerating to go forward the car would jerk forward, hesitate as if stalling....... last time it stopped dead in the middle of the intersection.............. told by Ford tech this is do to the transmission being controlled by computer chips............ car is going in for service today.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Mar 302012

Focus 4-cyl

Poor shift quality 6 speed dual clutch automatic.

- Poinciana, FL, USA

May 012011

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While stopped at a stop sign, the vehicle was hesitant to accelerate as the contact depressed the accelerator pedal. As the vehicle finally accelerated, it jerked forward violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer approximately five times for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. There was a manufacturer's recall for an update to the transmission. After the update was performed, the failure continued. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 282012

Focus

I just bought a brand new 2012 Ford Focus and I noticed shudder or vibration when starting to drive. I looked at the internet and found a this a common complaint among Ford Focus owners. Please help us in compeling Ford to do something about this.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 072012

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission shifts erratically. Will not down shift when needed causing loss of control of the car. Car will also roll back when you stop if on a slight incline. There is a voluntary recall by Ford for this problem, however the remedies do not work. I have already had these remedies performed on my car over a year ago. The problems still exist. I expressed my concerns regarding these transmission problems over a year ago but Ford has taken the stance as to ignore them. Ford had prior knowledge of these problems and other problems on these cars before they were even introduced to the public. Ford chose to put sales before consumer safety. This transmission problem is a serious safety issue, what is it going to take for the NHTSA for them to make this a involuntary safety recall, people getting killed? I do not feel safe driving this car neither should anyone else who owns this car.

- Hibbing, MN, USA

Aug 012011

Focus 4-cyl

My car has been having issues with the transmission that Ford installed in the 2012 Ford Focus. The car shudders and hesitates on take off to the point of it stalling. The car has been in the dealership six times now. At this point Ford is installing new clutches and I will have to wait another 1,000 miles until these new clutches brakes in to see if the issue persists. I have read in forums and articles that im not the only person having these issues. Please help in any way you can.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

May 262011

Focus 4-cyl

While in drive, the auto transmission allowed the car to roll backward and hit the car behind me then lunged forward and hit the car in front of me. The hill was fairly steep as it was an off ramp from freeway at stop light. Car has been to dealer 4 times for this problem but I am told it is a normal condition.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Mar 092012

Focus 4-cyl

On the drive home from the dealership, the day we purchased this car, we were stopping at a red light and it felt as though the road had some uneven surfaces. Turns out that it was from the car, the transmission was shuttering as we came to a stop. I was concerned but we were late and could not go back to the dealer. Well the car did it many times after that, sometimes on acceleration and other times while coming to a stop. It would not shift into first gear as I entered my driveway (it has a slight incline) and it would shutter all the way up. I took the car to the dealer and they ran an update from Ford. This helped some, but it is still shifting funny and making a funny noise while shifting from first to second. It shifts way too soon and is generally in the wrong gear. If you need to accelerate to merge into traffic there is a huge delay. The car seems to wait way too long before going down into a gear that will allow this to not be unsafe! I took it back to the dealer for an unrelated repair was given a 2012 Focus as a loaner, the loaner is perfect! it exhibits none of the problems my car does. This tells me this is not a normal issue. The car is still at the dealer, but I am sure the song and dance about my car is normal and my issues are normal are coming. I am not going to accept this explanation! I now know how this car should drive and mine is not driving normal. I researched this issue and there are many people dealing with this same problem.that means it is not just my car. I want Ford to acknowledge that there is an issue and fix it.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Mar 142012

Focus

I bought a 2012 Ford Focus sedan a couple weeks ago the next day I noticed slow jerky shuttering accerleration when at a complete stop then trying to acclerate. I did not think of anything was wrong until I researched it online finding similar complaints this is a problem and now the car is at the dealership and they currently have it. Next there is a grinding noise while driving and turning sounds an example would be metal to metal on the brakes is the sound and last loose mirror when lifting the tab down to look at my daughter in the back seat the whole mirror goes down istead of slightly moving.

- Port Arthur , TX, USA

Mar 012012

Focus 4-cyl

My Ford Focus sel 2012 has been experiencing shuddering feelings when accelerating from stop. It feels as if the transmission is about to stall and then it kicks back up and jolts my cars back and forth for several seconds before resuming normal speed after 10 mph. These several seconds are vital when you are dealing with fast traffic in California or anywhere else for that matter. This created a delay in the acceleration time, almost causing an accident with oncoming traffic. I have contact several Ford officials about this and they keep saying that it is normal and that there is a break in period. Why was I not made aware of this when I purchased the car? this is a serious safety hazard and Ford is just excusing it until my warranty period is up. Two of my friends bought the same car and is experiencing the same issue. This is not an isolated incident and I would like to see proper action from Ford to address this issue professionally.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 282012

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus 5,800 miles. The contact stated that when stopped on a hill and having to release the brake the vehicle rolls back wards. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, and was told that it was natural for the vehicle to do that. They did not offer any other assistance.

- Waterloo, IN, USA