Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 6 of 34)

Jun 102015

I have taken my car in for service 16-18 times for problems with the sync and the transmission since I bought this car. I have had both the sync module and the transmission module reset repeatedly and finally replaced. I have had the clutch replaced twice in two years. The worse incident and the reason for the second clutch was because the car's transmission failed completely while I was driving approx. 45 miles an hour down a very busy two lane city road. I was able to pull over, turn off the car and restart the car and got about 3 miles from home and it failed again. I was literally in the turning lane for my subdivision and it failed again. I had to have the car towed from my house. I was lucky I was not involved in an accident. Ford refused to buy back my car when I requested it. I have copies of my service records as does Cherokee Lincoln Ford of alpharetta, ga.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Mar 102014

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the transmission began to hesitate in a jerking motion and the vehicle stalled without warning. After waiting ten minutes, the vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was repaired under the manufacturer's customer satisfaction program where the transmission control module was replaced; however, the transmission continued to exhibit hesitation after the remedy was performed. The contact mentioned that the rear exterior passenger side door failed to unlock until after numerous attempts. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 04/08/16 the consumer on a regular basis, while the vehicle was running, passenger had a difficult time exiting the vehicle. The door locks were difficult to unlock. The consumer had to press the door lock repeatedly before they would unlock. The consumer also stated the vehicle would stall at times at intersections. Updated 04/14/16

- Afton, NY, USA

Jan 162016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle began to decelerate unexpectedly while driving on the interstate at 65 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle was safe to drive. Days after the failure, the key was inserted in the ignition and the transmission malfunction and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not returned to the dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 84,000. Updated 04/20/16

- Las Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 052015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that there was a random failure in which the various instrument cluster gauges flashed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer more than five times, but they could not duplicate or remedy the failure. The manufacturer was notified and provided no solution to the dealer for months. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jan 122016

Clutch slipping; 60200 miles on the car. Clutch is slipping as was confirmed by my mechanic. The clutch has to replaced and Ford will not fix it. No reason the clutch should need to be replaced this soon. I have had other manual vehicles where the clutch lasted 150K or even 190K miles. Clearly a faulty design and or product. Buyer beware

- Clifton, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Transmission shutters and slips when hot or when going up steep hills. Transmission will not downshift when pressing harder on gas pedal.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Jan 182016

Since September 2014, the transmission has shuddlers, and shakes violenly, while the vehicle accelerates, deaccelerates or even in reverse. The transmission is extremely loud while the vehicle is either drive or reverse as well. My vehicle has been taken to four different Ford dealers at five different for this issue and yet this problem has not repaired. Since September 2014 to present the vehicle issues has worsen by increased excessive noise levels and the drivability as well.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Nov 112015

Transmission is erratic, you do not know what it might do. It has a shuttering sound coming from underneath the vehicle when going 20-40 miles per hour. Drivers side window does not open and have 'information' light is on for low pressure on tires and aren't currently low. Brakes are making a growling noise when coming to a stop.

- Poplar Grove, IL, USA

Jan 042016

I purchased my car in June 2012. I have had to replace the clutch three times due to issues. I have had to have the roof liner reinstalled as it had come loose. Now, only a month after the $700 repair for the roof, I am now told to pay $950 to repair my brake booster which as broken and messed up the primary shaft. My car has less than 30,000 miles on it and is only 3.5 years old, yet seems to be falling apart now that it is out of warranty. I asked if I had done anything to cause the brake booster to fail, and was told "no, it is just a mechanical failure, " that I have to pay for because it is out of warranty. I was also told that there was no way that the mechanics could have seen the issue, even though it mysteriously started less than 2 weeks after I had it in the shop for over a week. After getting the roof liner and clutch reinstalled I was told that they had also updated all of the software in my car. A little over a week later the check engine light came on as I was stopped at a red light. I thought it was a software glitch as the light turned off when I started driving again. It happened once more about a week or so later, but it was at the same stoplight, so I thought it may be the particular angle of the car at that light or something, but resolved to take it in if it happened again. I was gone for 2 weeks for christmas break, then when I came back the low brake fluid light came on every time I was stopped for more than 30 seconds. I stopped driving my car until I could get it into the shop. So, with less than a month of driving my car since it was last in the shop, apparently $950 in damage was done that, while not my fault "could not have been avoided" and is something I have to pay for if I want my car to be safe to drive.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Dec 182015

I am having issues with the transmission in my vehicle. It has been in the shop 30 days now waiting to have it's 3rd transmission since birth. It has had two reprograms of the module as well. This car is unsafe and dangerous to drive. It shudders and shifts terribly. It seems to want to start in third or fourth gear many times, exposing me to danger when pulling out into the highway. This car needs to be bought back. I had the trans replaced in Oct of 14 and it made it a whole 14 months before needing to be replaced again. The regional customer service manager will not do anything but "expedite" parts that are already on backorder and the service manager at our dealership says are faulty anyway. Ford can't seem to make this work and I am paying the price. There are significant issues on this make of car by multiple owners. It's time they were forced to but these pieces of junk back.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jan 122016

Focus has been under many recalls and at Ford for repair multiple times for transmission. Every 6 months issues occur causing me to take back into Ford. Last couple weeks I noticed intermittently, when I take foot off accelorator, rpms continue to increase, and car does not slow down, causing me to pump breaks multiple times to be able to stop. Yesterday during a snow storm, I again took foor off accelerator, this time the car again would still continue to drive without my control, causing me to spin out, not once but three times. I did not get hit by other cars as everyone was going slow, but I did have to call into work as my car was not safe to drive. This is now a safety concern for my Focus, and myself, and my paycheck. Something has to give as Ford, has offered nothing but to keep bringing it back when issues occur. This is not appropriate customer service, and I feel there is a huge safety concern for my vehicle.

- Howell, MI, USA

Dec 242015

I can spend the remainder of my day regurgitating all the issues those that have proceeded me have detailed or say this. I purchased the 2012 Ford Focus titanium (with everything) it's a great car on the inside and the engine for a 4 cylinder kicks @$$ since 2012 it has had major repair or replacement (not just software updates X3) 4 times.... that's right 4 major transmission issues, 1 new transmission and several rebuilds. This transmission issue will ensure I never buy a Ford again...!!!! final straw christmas 2015 driving down the street looking at the lights enjoying the cold weather, holidays, etc. Car slams (I mean literally we were thrown forward and our seat-belts locked in place) and the awesome sync screen displayed "seek immediate transmission repair"... family and I spent the remainder of the christmas holiday in a rental. Only to be told "glad that did not happen to ya on the highway huh, it was only the transmission control unit that needed to be replaced" imagine what would have happened if I had been at speed on the highway!!! wtf?

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 082015

I purchased a 2012 Focus in 2012 in dallas with 7,000 miles on it. Since the very beginning the transmission shutters upon leaving a red light. I took it back and Ford told me it was normal for that model until they came up with a new transmission programming. It was very alarming. I have taken the car to Ford 4 times for the same issue that seemed to be getting worse. Then in March 2015 they came up with the computer reprogramming for the transmission. I took it another 3 times for them to finally decide to reprogram it on my car although it was a recall. Finally, when we thought this would solve the problem, the transmission stopped working the week that they performed the update. Now they are quoting us with $2,200 for a new clutch to be put in a faulty transmission by design. There are several class action lawsuits out there for that transmission. They also told us it was not under warranty. They supposedly sent a "customer satisfaction program" for the clutch in August 2014 to fix the issue that now hit us due to their faulty transmission. However, this letter was never sent to us. We have received every single letter from them but that one and now the car is over the 100,000 mile limit of that customer satisfaction program. We would think that upon our 7 visits for that issue that someone in service would have mentioned that they can fix it for free. Ford has been in complete denial of this transmission issue and will not fix the safety issue that they created although they had the chance to at more than one occasion. The car is no longer operable past first gear and 15mph. 7 visits in which they ignored the danger that we were presenting them...while they perfectly knew a recall was available for it.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jan 172015

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus sel last year. I have had continuous problems with the transmission since purchasing this vehicle. When taking off (shifting from 1st to 2nd gear), the transmission makes a shuddering noise, the vehicle fails to accelerate, and the car bounces as it struggles to shift gears. I believe this problem is well known to Ford since numerous consumer websites have customers with similar complaints. Soon after purchase, I had it back in the service department. I had a technician drive around with me. The technician stated that everything was normal and that the clutch plate just gets dirty by too "gingerly" accelerating. He walked me through how to power brake (holding down the brake, flooring the gas pedal, and then releasing the brake to quickly accelerate through the first 3 gears). This appeared to help for a day or two, but I find it hard to believe that this is the solution for a $12,000 certified pre-owned vehicle that I purchased. I recently received a recall notice claiming that the tcm software needed to be updated and that the transmission warranty would be extended. I had this upgrade completed with no improvement to the situation. The technician that I spoke with said the upgrade will probably not help the shuttering. He suggested again that I give it more gas when accelerating. He said something about it being similar to a stick shift stalling when not enough gas is applied. This does not work. I give it more gas to no avail. I have also recently seen where a class action suit against Ford for similar complaints from customers. My 17 year old daughter frequently drives this vehicle and I feel it is a safety issue that needs prompt attention. I have been a loyal Ford customer for many year. Please let me know what resolution you have for my complaint.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Jan 042016

Powter train tcm module; replaced on 8/4/15 with 49427 miles. Vehicle would not shift out of gear. Along with hesitation while driving in residential area. Vehicle was brought to Ford dealership and the tcm was found defective. Module was replaced and programmed to latest "standards".on 1/4/2015 power train tcm module replaced with 55488 miles. Car worked fine the day prior then would not start the following morning in garage. Removed battery and had it tested at auto store and it tested good. Vehicle had to be jumped to start. Then warning came on dash showed transmission failure have service. Brought vehicle to Ford dealership and found that tcm module was bad. Service dept also stated that the battery would have to be replaced due to bad cell. The battery was tested earlier in the week and found to be properly charged. Ok'd the battery replacement then was notified the starter was now bad. Service attendant did not directly admit to the tcm module causing these other issues but advised to keep all receipts due to class action against Ford. Attendant also stated that some vehicles have had the tcm replaced 3-5 times. Warranty has only been extended to 100,00 miles

- Largo, FL, USA

Jan 052016

The car just starts making a grinding noise and the gears slip out of place

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Dec 212015

Tcm failure, uphill assist failure, no start.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Aug 272012

My issues with this car started the day I drove it off the lot and have not stopped. There was an issue with the fan that made my engine sound like it was chewing rocks whenever the air/heat was on - this has been fixed. I bought the car brand new and from day one it has been grinding, shuddering and not shifting smoothly. I've had issues with the RPM's skyrocketing when I'm slowing down and the RPM's skyrocketing when I'm trying to accelerate but the car isn't moving. I've had the car feel like it's completely lost power while in stop and go traffic then "wake up" and lurch transmission has been replaced once, my clutch replaced twice. Once I've been told it's a figment of my imagination and once I was told that I need to learn how to drive the car. The clutch I have now is the same one being used in the 2015 Focus's, and though it's "better", it's still's just off so sporadically that I can't bring it in because I don't want to be told it's all in my head again. This car is not safe. It is not a car that I'm comfortable passing on to my child when she starts driving next year and it's not a car that I would drive day to day if I had to drive rush hour traffic. It's too bad, too, because the design of the car is wonderful - it's comfortable, it's got the right set up, but the most important part of the vehicle is dangerous and doesn't operate properly.

- Carver, MN, USA

Aug 112014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for a manufacturer's recall for the clutch and transmission, which did not provide a permanent remedy to repair the condition of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than five times before notification of the manufacturers recalls and they had not been able to replicate the failure and provide a repair solution after several repairs. The contact continued to experience the clutch failing to change over into third gear and the vehicle had a strong hesitation. The vehicle also randomly stalled and the contact had to make several attempts to get the vehicle to restart. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Hastings, FL, USA

Dec 162015

Car has continuously shuddered when trying to shift between gears. At times the car will almost come to a complete stop as if it can not find what gear it needs to be in to move forward. Happens in all scenarios, cold weather, warm weather, and at all speeds. More recently car has failed to start and shudders have become more violent when driving.

- Somerset, NJ, USA