Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus electrical problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jun 022016

In 2012 I purchased the vehicle from future Ford in sacramento California. Over the past four years, the car has problems with the transmission, PCM module, transmission control module, clutch, starter, steering wheel, electrical system. I took the car to two Ford dealerships for repairs. The service technicians cannot repair the car. I contacted Ford Motor Company many times and they refuse to refund my money and recall the vehicle the car is very dangerous to drive and a risk to my life and safety. Updated 07/19/16

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 032016

Driver side door will not shut. Opened door and tried to shut it but will not stay closed. Driver side door swings open when driving. Took it to a Ford dealership and they have heard of the problem on multiple occaisions.

- Kaneohe Bay, HI, USA

May 012016

Radio stopped working and very loud static noise comes from radio randomly. Dealer will not look at system without $90 charge. Noise is very loud and startling when it is going on even when car is off.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Mar 302016

I was having issues with the electrical problem the horn went out for a period of time also the radio is not workingas well as the airbags did not deploy when I was recently in a vehicle accident I am lucky to be alive.I was making a left hand turn onto a road and was hit from the side the impact was enough to make my engine dismount but my airbags did not deploy.

- Newman, CA, USA

Oct 302012

The car has more than three major recalls.and Ford don't have the parts for repairs.. airbags, electronic clutch. And some other problems with no part S coming in!!!!! car has not been repaired.L have taken it in four time and told the parts are just coming in.temp repairs I am so so very tried of this! I have been a ower of 4 new Ford cars. And a customer for Ford & GMC not again.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Mar 312012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and as able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer module needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred months later. The vehicle stalled recently without warning and was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 600.

- Charlestown, IN, USA

Apr 272016

Ford Focus recall. Car lost all acceleration while driving about 10mph in traffic but electrical stayed on. Luckily it was traffic and I was able to coast to the roadside. Happened first in November 2015, dealer said it was battery dying. Happened again April 27 2016. Now they're saying it's transmission electrical issues.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Steering freezes, makes a very dangerous moment, door window doesn't suddenly work. Feel a recall should be in effect, chosen states have a recall on the steering, but not in Texas, I'm a senior citzen, living off gove. Benitfits, can't afford the price to fix, the vehicle was stationary, and one time in motion.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Apr 042016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving 30 mph, the doors on the vehicle locked and unlocked automatically and the tcm light illuminated. The contact stated that the failures occurred after the vehicle was repaired under a manufacturer recall for a system update. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 69,817.

- Eufaula, OK, USA

Feb 172016

While driving the radio made a loud crack and stopped working. After researching this problem I discovered many others with the same problem.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Mar 012015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. Approximately 30 seconds later, the engine stalled and did not restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the control module and the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired five times, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was inoperable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Venice, FL, USA

Jul 052012

My car has transmission problems. Every single time I start and stop the car shudders and hesitates. The car is unsafe to drive. Also the car's cruise control broke within 3 months of owning the car, it was fixed and then broke again a month later. And hasn't worked in 2 years. This car is junk. I have taken it to three different Ford dealerships and they refused to fix the problem. They would tell me there was nothing wrong with the transmission it was the way I drive. Every time I took it in for the cruise control Ford would tell me that they were unable to fix the problem because the cruise was working that day, when it never worked for me. They refused to fix the problems and I finally ran out of a warranty and gave up. I don't have the money to pay to have this car fixed when I bought a brand new car I college to not have to worry about getting work done to a car. This has been the biggest disappointment and I just want them to be recalled. Ford owes it to all the customers that are currently stuck with this car and paying big money for a car that doesn't work. I don't not feel safe allowing my family in the car because it is too dangerous to drive. It stresses me out on a daily basis having to drive this car and never knowing when it's going to stop working. I have been having there problems since I bought the car in July of 2012.

- Oak Harbor, OH, USA

Mar 032016

Went to start my 2012 Ford Focus SE on 3/3/16 and immediately received a message stating "power steering malfunction". the steering wheel felt like it locked up and was very difficult to turn. Thank goodness I was in my driveway and not on the road with my kids in the car! we were able to get the car to apple Ford in columbia md where they ran diagnostics and said we need to replace the the steering rack, which will cost $1,950!! after reading the forums, complaints and pending lawsuits online, it is clear that this is a common issue where several models are being recalled. My VIN has not been associated with that recall, but I'm desperately hoping that it will soon. This is an electric issue causing the power steering to fail, and it's happening to so many Ford owners. Please take action!

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jul 102015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle jerked and the battery and tire pressure warning lights illuminated continuously. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the diagnosis was unknown. The technician stated that there was a recall on the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired according to the unknown manufacturer recall; however, the failure recurred a week later. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 142014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact had not experienced any failures prior to taking the vehicle to the dealer to receive a manufacturer's recall remedy. After the repair, the failure progressed randomly for longer than a year. Upon depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle was slow to respond and the rear tires locked when accelerating. The contact later experienced the vehicle stalling without warning. The contact had to coast the vehicle over to a fuel station and, after several attempts, the vehicle restarted, shook violently, and stalled. The vehicle was not able to be driven and was towed to the dealer for inspection. The contact waited longer than a week for the diagnostic results. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Feb 202016

My vehicle lost all power in regards to acceleration and deceleration on the freeway at the speed of around 40-45 mph. I had to coast over two lanes and almost got rear-ended. The RPM would rev up but no power. Restarted car and problem went away. Next day had tcm flashed as part of recall. Two days later had the same issue only going 60-65 on freeway. Transmission went haywire and had to coast over and almost got rear-ended again. This time car wouldn't restart for about 2 min. No power. Engine revving and complete loss of power twice and I feel this car is a major accident waiting to happen. I do not feel safe while driving not knowing why my car is losing power even after the so called software fix.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 292016

Windshield wipers turned on to without commanded input from the wiper control stalk. Wipers operated at various output settings (high, low, and intermittent) with the car ignition position in either the on or off position. These events happens while driving and parked. Clear day with outside air temperature of about 70F.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Jun 102015

I have taken my car in for service 16-18 times for problems with the sync and the transmission since I bought this car. I have had both the sync module and the transmission module reset repeatedly and finally replaced. I have had the clutch replaced twice in two years. The worse incident and the reason for the second clutch was because the car's transmission failed completely while I was driving approx. 45 miles an hour down a very busy two lane city road. I was able to pull over, turn off the car and restart the car and got about 3 miles from home and it failed again. I was literally in the turning lane for my subdivision and it failed again. I had to have the car towed from my house. I was lucky I was not involved in an accident. Ford refused to buy back my car when I requested it. I have copies of my service records as does Cherokee Lincoln Ford of alpharetta, ga.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Jun 052015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that there was a random failure in which the various instrument cluster gauges flashed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer more than five times, but they could not duplicate or remedy the failure. The manufacturer was notified and provided no solution to the dealer for months. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jun 292015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the driver side door opened independently without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle lost speed and then stalled as the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under an unknown manufacturer recall. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000. Updated 04/13/16

- Acton, MA, USA