2012 Ford Focus electrical problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Nov 052016

Focus

Takata recall. The car will die in the middle of driving. Doesn't matter the speed you are going the lights on the dashboard will light up and you cant accelerate or decelerate the car will just die.

- St.Charles, MO, USA

Oct 032016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact noticed a strong hesitation and delay upon applying the accelerator pedal. The contact had to apply force to the accelerator pedal to increase speed. A mechanic inspected the vehicle, but was unable to replicate or diagnose the failure. The mechanic recommended that the vehicle be taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Feb 122016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 10 mph, the instrument panel lights failed to illuminate and the radio failed to operate without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was determined that a software update was needed. The vehicle was not repaired. Eventually, the instrument panel lighting illuminated again. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 68,000.

- Garner, NC, USA

Mar 122014

Focus

The passenger front window stopped working and I'm afraid there is an electrical short.

- Kinzers, PA, USA

Aug 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the front windshield wipers operated independently. When the front windshield wipers were activated, the wipers failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiper switch and steering angle sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. It was later diagnosed that the main computer system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 112016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving at any speed, there was a loud booming sound coming from the stereo module intermittently and without warning. The failure occurred even when the power was turned off. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the entire stereo module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Elizabeth Town, KY, USA

Aug 172016

Focus

At 58,000. Horn started to work intermittent, now it does not work at all. What next? already had work done on tranny. Every thing seems to be computer related. It also surges at start up at stop.

- West Allis, WI, USA

Aug 292016

Focus

Recently I've had an issue with the starter. The dash stated the car battery was low, I have the car taken to a local mechanic where the battery is testing that it is good. The car will start in the mornings after resting and I don't drive as much as just to be safe while I try to figure out what's going on with this car. I've had this car fixed three times in the past year, once for the customer survey satisfaction (not a recall Ford told me) to have the transmission fixed, another to have the steering module replaced and a third time to have the clutches replaced and that was done by a dealership to stop the lurching and jerking that the car does. I'm amazed at the callousness of a company that completely ignores the pleas of people who have almost crashed in their vehicles! no regard for their consumers what so ever!! I promise this will be the first & last Ford vehicle that I ever buy.

- Plano, TX, USA

Sep 022016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering assist module warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to turn the ignition switch off and on to be able to resume driving. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. In addition, while exiting the driveway, the vehicle jerked and lost power. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 87,025.

- Hennessey, OK, USA

Aug 292016

Focus

Power steering failure- started with everyonce in a while id get the error notice of power steering failure so I would turn off the car start it back up and fine, it started to happen more frequently to the imbarrassing point of having to turn on and off the car 5-10 times just to have power steering, then I got a letter to update my car's software to help fix the power steering issue, I got the software update and 3 months later total failure, I now have zero power steering and now Ford wants me to pay $2200 to fix it, when it failed I almost crashed into another car with my kids in my car on the freeway, needless to say we are greatful to be alive, sad thing is all other models from 2011-2012 with the same exact power steering system get a recall why not the Focus? I wish I would have known before I would have never bought the car, Ford is a scam and doesnt back up its product, the power steering is broke because of their defective product

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 202016

Focus

Loud popping and crackling noise then inop radio. Stationary or in motion. Diagnosed by Ford as consistant with other radio falures where the acm is faulty. Advised fix was replace @ $800.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 172016

Focus

The horn has stopped working after 31000 miles, the relay and fuse have both been checked and are still good. I noticed it when I locked my car, and then when I pressed the panic button there was no sound as well as when I pressed the horn button. The horn should not be out on any car after only 30K miles, these cars seem to be wired badly which is a shame.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jul 082016

Focus

The driver side door opened while I was driving, and now will not latch at all.

- Beggs, OK, USA

Jul 302016

Focus

I purchased the car from Ford dealer used.transmission acted up after a month took in in and they said it would cost me $200 to look at it.I purchased the 2 year extended warranty, but would still cost me that.I left, a few month later the car would not move and transmission light came on.my insurance towed the car at that time the dealer kept my car for a week, charged me $500 for cables to the battery.1 week later I was driving back from Arizona to Nevada in the middle of the desert and the car light came on again car was shuttering losing power thank god I made it home.now about 2 months later I was driving home from work and turned my driver side door flew open..thank god I wasn't close to oncoming traffic and had seat belt on.however now my driver side door will not close or lock.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 032013

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle would accelerate or decelerate without warning. When the contact attempted to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle sputtered. The dealer diagnosed that the transmission and the computer chip for the transmission failed. The computer chip needed to be reprogrammed and the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired a total of three times; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,312.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 182016

Focus

2012 Ford Focus. Divers side door latch did not secure and car door opened while vehicle in motion and jeapordazied the safety of my son. After several attempts to secure door it was unsuccessful. Notified Ford Motor Company and they advised no recall at the moment for such issue. Can only replace latch for cost of $640 dollars. I most recently took my 2013 Ford Fusion with the same issue and a recall was issued and door latch replaced,

- Saginaw, TX, USA

May 012016

Focus

Loud static sounds coming from dash. Happens intermittently. Extremely loud. Today can smell burnt electrical smell in passenger compartment. The static noise seems to happen when car is parked or just after parking vehicle and engine is still running.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 132016

Focus

Driver side rear door won't latch. Car was parked at the grocery store, and I opened the door to load groceries into car. When I closed the door, instead of latching, it bounced back out. I couldn't get it to latch at all. My 17 year old child had to sit in the back and hold the door closed to get home. It still won't latch, so I will have to have it fixed.

- Pinon Hills, CA, USA

Jun 112013

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving at any speed, the vehicle lost power and stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Corp Spring, TX, USA

Apr 082016

Focus

Radio has popping and cracking its really loud may catch on fire.

- Dalton, GA, USA