2012 Ford Focus engine problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Mar 152015

Focus

This has happened multiple times, but on Sunday 3/15/15. My car has flashed hill assist not working and not in park when it was indeed in park after the RPM go up to 5 & 6 at any given time and forcing me to pull over. My car would start, but would not go into gear. When this happen before I was on the interstate doing 70 and the car jumps out of gear and I can no longer go, so I have had to pull over and luckily restart the car and go. I also have been having issues with the car not starting. What if this car causes myself and family to be involved in a accident" what if this happens during rush hour? this is a world wide issues and Ford is fully aware yet they do not have any recalls. I'm not sure I understand when or what will make you Ford stand up and correct the issue by issuing a recall on this unsafe vehicle? death"

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 192015

Focus 4-cyl

Car lost power and engine light came on while traveling southbound on I-95. Underneath parts and lower body panels caught fire and melted. Vehicle was towed to the paul clark Ford dealership in yulee, fl. Where it was discovered the engine had experienced a catastrophic engine failure. There was a hole a little smaller than a basketball blown out of the bottom of the crankcase with the oil pump and pieces of the engine laying on the shield covering the oil pan. The car had just been fully serviced with it's routine oil change, recommended service routine, etc by same dealer. Even though the vehicle is under full warranty, nothing has been done to repair the vehicle as of yet. Ford is conducting an internal review and said it could take up to 90 days before a determination is made. They also have not offered a loaner vehicle or a rental car to the owner while this process is taking place.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Focus 4-cyl

When accelerating from a stopped position, the transmission slips gears and the car lurches forward or stalls and then lurches. I have almost rear ended several cars on many occasions. The car also lurches backwards when in reverse. I have taken the vehicle in twice for service. It is in for service as I am submitting this report. The first time, I was told there were recalls completed on the vehicle. I never received any paperwork from the dealership as to what was actually "replaced/recalled" on my vehicle. It seemed to drive smoother for a few months and then the same problems started again. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership as to what they have found wrong this time.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Mar 052015

Focus

The traction control in the vehicle operates in an unsafe manner in snowy road conditions. When climbing a slight grade in snow, the traction control continually reduces engine power to the point that the vehicle will no longer move forward. As the vehicle slows to a stop while modulating the accelerator, the engine will not rev above 1500rpm without the traction control cutting off power. Controlled and sustained forward momentum is required for safe driving in snowy conditions. That is not possible when traversing typical roadway inclines in snowy weather with the traction control engaged. Additionally, it takes no fewer than seven inputs from the driver to engage or disengage the traction control system; something that must be done frequently in this vehicle to keep it moving safely in snow. This creates undue driver distraction in already demanding driving conditions. A manufacturer retrofit of a simple on/off switch for the traction control system, as installed in most contemporary vehicles, should be the minimum remedy.

- Reston, VA, USA

Feb 032015

Focus

On January 27th.. my car (2012 Ford Focus SE 4door 5 speed) my car had 33,342 miles on it once it came into the service bay at asheville Ford in asheville nc. I was advised that the car would have to stay for the day and look into the situation. Car would die at random, lights would come on like a christmas tree (oil pressure light, battery light, traction light, ESC light, information light, check engine light) and a message would appear (engine malfunction service now). Asheville Ford was also notified of a sun visor popping, seat belts not releasing and creaking noises in the B pillars on both sides, and the ac was blowing hot air again (this was repaired on the 23rd before and already blowing hot air).

- Asheville, NC, USA

Sep 072012

Focus

I bought this car with 17,000 miles on it and kept it a year and a half. I couldn't stand it anymore. When accelerating, it would shake and shudder. The automatic shifting into first and second gears was extremely jerky all the time. If I was at a complete stop and the pavement was wet, the car would bolt forward when I accelerated. Twice it like stopped when I was going 70 mph on a highway. It just sort of stopped operating for a flash and then resumed movement. It was scary. I took it to a reputable Ford dealership which was closer to my house than where I bought it, and they worked on it 4 different times. I came in with the same complaints every time. In addition, because the transmission was so screwy, it apparently affected the tires and I had to buy 4 new tires because the tread was so worn down. I traded it in on a new Toyota. That was my first Ford and my last Ford. Never again. The car is a menace and definitely unsafe.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Jan 042013

Focus

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus at my local dealership (5 miles on it); brand new. Within 6 months I had it in the shop 2 times. At the time my husband was an employee of that dealership and they gave him the run around. Indicating all they had to do was reset the computer. Supposedly they reset the computer twice however it never fixed the problem. Once it was diagnosed on the 3rd attempt at the local dealership that it needed "parts" I was given the run around by that dealership. After contacting Ford Motor Company on several attempts I finally received a response. I had to beg Ford for a rental car so that I had transportation for the week that the dealership had my car.once the vehicle was fixed and I picked it up; I noticed a really rough idle. After dealing with this for this for several months; the dealership had me bring it back in and had it for another week to fix the idle problem. As of today; it is still not running right. I am taking it back in on Friday to have it looked at once again as the entire front of the car shakes and the dealership indicated it "sounds like the transmission." Not only does it shake and rattle; it clicks at times and jerks/shudders forward. I have on numerous occasions contacted Ford Motor Company and have asked everything from buying the vehicle back and once and for all fixing the problem and get nothing but the run around. Today I my vehicle was taken back into the dealership and I was told that it needs another new clutch and they are backordered. Your Agency needs to do something about these Ford and the Ford Motor Company before it causes a fatality. The way the car lurches forward and shudders; this could cause an accident or someone could get hit by this. Please help Ford owners !! recall these vehicles.

- Arroyo Grande , CA, USA

Jan 152015

Focus

I was driving in a residential neighborhood and approaching a four way stop so not going fast. My car stopped accelerating and then jerked forward causing me to have to turn off the road to avoid going through the stop sign. I instead hit the stop sign. The car has transmission issues that have not yet been resolved.

- Mahtomedi, MN, USA

Sep 012014

Focus 4-cyl

I own a 2012 Ford Focus SE. I bought my Ford Focus in December 2012 from folsom lake Ford located in folsom California. At 20000 miles I took my car in for its factory service and advised the transmission was not operating correctly. According to folsom lake Ford their service department reprogrammed the transmission computer and ordered parts for the transmission┐┐parts that would take a month to arrive, but never heard back from folsom lake Ford after that. About 35000mls started major transmission issues with my Focus-it would not shift correctly. The check engine light never came on, nor were there any other diagnostic/malfunction advisements from the vehicles information system. Other systems began to malfunction 'specifically electronic systems, idle control malfunctioned-. idle rough, sometimes idling wild and extreme fluctuations.my Focus would stall constantly while stopped at intersections, also randomly stalling while at driving speeds. Multiple times my Focus stalled on the freeway, while driving at normal freeway speeds 55-70mph. After my Focus had a stalling incident it would not start at all as if it was due to a power drainage. If it did not immediately fire-up, the starter would continue to operate whether I tried to discontinue or not. When the vehicle did finally start, the transmission always operated unusually after that 'shifting incorrectly, not smoothly shifting into gear, sometimes not shifting into the proper gear or not shifting at all. At about 42000mls service performed on my Focus the battery checked and in good working order. By 43000mls after major transmission issues my battery was corroded/ruined.

- North Highlands, CA, USA

Dec 302014

Focus

I am filing a complaint against a 2012 Ford Focus SE. The car has been making transmission noises that cannot be resolved for quite some time now and while driving on the 101 freeway, all of the instrument panel lights came on and the entire car completely shut off and no controls were working at all almost causing an intense pile up that could have killed my mother and I instantly. We were left in the middle of the freeway with not power of any use of controls until chp officers were finally blocking traffic from hitting us. This is the worst vehicle we have ever owned and Ford should be ashamed for being negligent.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Dec 202014

Focus

I have a 2012 Ford Focus. I was in the middle of the road when it decided to stop accelerating. The engine light came on and it did not move. I turned it off and on again, which gave me another shot at getting off the road before it shut down again. It was pretty unnerving not knowing if I was going to cause a wreck or be rear ended.. this is just one of the hundreds, if not, thousands of the same complaint out there. Something has to be done before there is a death.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Dec 022014

Focus 4-cyl

At first I reported issues with dealership regarding car moving backwards at time when I release brakes to go forward and my car is automatic. Also informed them after a red light I press the gas but car would not move immediately they said it was normal due to dual transmission. Car was not put in service. I had same incident and a month later I received an alert regarding a clutch recall and took it in for service today and explained to them I had same issue. Car was not put in service and they said it was normal cause car is automatic with a manual transmission and they stated to only bring it in if I hear metal grinding.

- Mission, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Focus

The car goes into neautral with no warning loose all power and three months later it does not go into reverse and lost gears we had to pay out of pocket someone going to get hurt this car needs a recall on transmission before someone gets hurt bad there is so many complaints on transmission.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Oct 102014

Focus 4-cyl

My 2012 Ford Focus sel dies when a 'engine malfunction service now' message appears. This has happened on two different occasions. Both times, the message appeared, and about 30 second later, the engine completely dies. The second time this occurred it happened as I was pulling out into traffic from an intersection. On both occurrences this has fortunately happened at low speeds however I am concerned it will happen at greater speeds with a loss of power steering, brakes, and possibly airbags. I have been instructed by the dealership to continue driving the vehicle and wait for the situation to worsen.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Nov 182014

Focus 4-cyl

To whom it may concern, I am a very unhappy customer with a car that I had purchased from your company. The car is not reliable what so ever and I can't trust it with anything! I have always wanted the newer model Focus and when I finally have the money to afford one I am extremely disappointed. I have never had this many issues with a car and this is one of the newest cars I have yet bought. I have missed 8 days of work this year just because the car has its own games to play.the car has almost cost me my life a few times due to the jerking on the engine that you guys feel is normal. When I go to make a turn the car jerks so much sometimes that it's just makes it before I get smashed. This car is horrible and I think that it is so wrong that there is so much wrong with this car yet you still keep it on the market. One day this car is not going to go when I push the gas and I will get seriously injured. I have complained to service many times about this issue and they simply say" ?well just push the gas a little harder" I'm sorry maybe the car should simply go considering its main function is to drive!!! this is one of the most disappointing, nonfunctional, and depreciative vehicle I have ever bought in my life. I will never buy a Ford again if something cannot be done. So thank you so much, instead of me saving for college I now get to save up to buy another car because I was wrong about this car being dependable. Thank you so much for all the hardship your poor manufacturing has caused me and my wallet. I really so hope someone can be of assistance and correct this issue because if not you will surely be losing a customer along with me posting this to social media in the months to come if something is not resolved. I figured if you guys don't care enough about my well being then the world must know.

- Northlake, IL, USA

Nov 032014

Focus 4-cyl

2012 Ford Focus dangerously stall while driving as well as merging into traffic or on an incline the consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jul 012013

Focus 4-cyl

Issue 1: the vehicle is on its third clutch in the 2 years since purchase and continues to have transmission issues. When applying gas it stutters, lurches, or responds as if not taking gas. This week: Three times turning from stop sign left, right from stop sign, and right from parking lot. Apply gas to accelerate and vehicles stutters, pauses, and stalls for a moment. Two of the three, particularly one came close to resulting in an accident. This also occurred on a busy highway turning right at a stop sign on Oct 27. It has occurred dozens of times prior to the transmission repair events and now is starting to recur, with more ng a stalling/lurching than a stuttering. Ford is fully aware of these issues. I am taking it in for repairs again but feel it is unsafe and want the car returned. Issue 2: the vehicle achieves far below the advertised mpg. They advertise 27 and it gains 22.5 at best. Currently less than 22. Ford is fully aware of this issue and states that they cannot do anything. I have been complaining for 18 months or more.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 272014

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission shakes and grinds. Car rolls backwards on hills. Ford says this is normal behavior but having a car roll backwards on hills with an automatic transmission is a safety concern.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Focus

The transmission in our Focus stutters and grinds when shifting from 1st gear to 2nd.

- Beech Grove, IN, USA

Oct 062014

Focus

Was parking car when suddenly it lunged forward at a fast speed, I lost control and hit car in front of me plus 3 other cars then crashed into cement wall. I hit my head and left side of body on the door, I bruised my rib cage front & back plus my left leg very bruised. I was very lucky I didn't get killed.

- Westminster, CO, USA