2012 Ford Focus engine problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

May 242014

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle made a loud noise coming from the engine compartment. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the motor mounts fractured. As a result, the engine dropped and damaged the axle and cvc joint. In addition, the contact stated that the passenger's side seat belt was constantly becoming stuck preventing the passenger from exiting the vehicle in a timely fashion. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000.

- Bastrop, LA, USA

May 232014

Focus 4-cyl

Was driving on the street for about 25 minutes and when I stopped behind another car on a stop sign, the car would not accelerate, it happened to my son also who told me to turn the car off and then re-start it, it did, but when my son took the car today, it happened to him and this time would not start. Went to help him 20 minutes later and this time it turned on, I drove behind him all the way home (about 30 minutes) and mo problem? can't trust to drive this car any more, I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday (earlier appointment they had), but after reading the complaints I'm afraid I came to be another victim, just bought the car last December 2013!

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 222014

Focus 4-cyl

Driving down highway, car lost power, the check engine light and the traction control light came on. Would not accelerate, brakes would not function properly to stop. When I finally got the car stopped in a parking lot next to my place of business, the car would not start up again, and when it did, it would not go into any gear. Sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes trying to get the car to start up and go into gear. When it finally did go into gear, I got it to my place of business 2 blocks down and parked it. I am afraid to drive the car as it is a major safety issue. There have been recalls on the electric version of this car, but not the gasoline versions. This needs to be a recall on all of these models as there are several hundred complaints online about the same issue. Ford will not do anything about these issues unless the car is taken to one of their dealerships, which in past experience, they don't do anything at the dealership except overcharge for diagnosing the car, and for them to tell you nothing is wrong with it and that they know there are issues with the cars, but they do not have a fix for them and they can change the parts, however that will not solve the problem and it will happen again. I have been told this by the manager at a dealership and he has stated there is nothing he can do to change the situation. This is a major safety issue and someone needs to look into Ford for the same issues GM is having with their small cars.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 152014

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the engine leaked a small amount of oil. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,971.

- Sunnyville, CA, USA

Jul 042013

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission issues, jerking, jumping, jolting forward, sluggish, lack of power, feels like the car is going to cut off. This happens at slow speeds, fast speeds, at a stop, idling, etc. You name a condition of the car at various speeds and it has transmission issues. I took it to Ford to fix and they said it was a "known" issue, they updated the software and calibrated. It still has the same issues, the problem is not resolved.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 052013

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle would hesitate and stall without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would also shake violently while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 21,000 and the current mileage was 24,155. Kmj

- La Habra, CA, USA

May 072014

Focus 4-cyl

This car has been the shop 4 times for the same problem. The car randomly does not start for a period of time, absolutely no rhyme or reason. It does start eventually. Everything electrical comes on, interior lights, A/C, heater, radio, exterior lights, just no engine. The problem only occurs after being driven. In other words, it never happens first thing in the morning after sitting all night, it never happens after a full work day (sitting 8 hours). The longest period of time it has set and still not started is about 3 hours. The problem also never occurred until they had to replace the transmission.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Apr 252014

Focus 4-cyl

RPM's were exceeding 4K-5K at 25 mph, engine light came on. I pulled over, turned the car off and let the car sit for 10minutes. Started car, continued driving 25 mph and rpms once again exceeded 4K-5K until the car came to a slow and sudden stop. Car is at the dealership where it was purchased for 5 days (and counting) now, service department is claiming the engine light is off and there is no history in the computer reflecting a diagnostic code - then they should fix that too! I had a passenger in the car that witnessed this event, I want to avoid any legal action, but I am documenting everything in the event I have to. I typically drive on the turnpike/highway and I am grateful this did not occur during rush hour on the turnpike/highway. I contacted Ford corporate and they were very selective with their words "this vehicle does not have any recalls pending", but would not answer any general questions ex. "is there any service bulletins that were sent to your technicians regarding the transmission/engine?" their response "this vehicle does not have any service bulletins...etc." They finally directed me to this website and I only hope the right people read my complaint to better resolve my issue.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Focus 4-cyl

This Ford Focus exhibits strange and dangerous shaking and stuttering between gears 1 and 2. it has done this with increasing frequency since we got this car in 2011. It feels like it will stall at any moment. It also has nearly stalled several times when stopped at a light and sometimes rolls backwards while in drive even though it is an automatic. The dealership says these things are normal because it is a 'sporty-model car' and it takes the engine time to adjust to a person's driving style. The Ford Focus model years affected with this problem should be recalled by Ford asap.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 112011

Focus 4-cyl

2012 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to ongoing transmission issues. The consumer stated each time visited the dealer, she was informed it was only a programming adjustment. The consumer has been to the dealer 10 times, for the same problem. The consumer stated the transmission was unpredictable. Not only did the clutch slip between first and second gears, the vehicle intermittently hesitated when taking off from a complete stop. Also, the engine would shake at 55 mph and continued to shake even at 70 mph.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Mar 132014

Focus 4-cyl

On March 13th, I was driving at approximately 55 miles per hour. All of the sudden I lost complete power in my car. The rpms revved up extremely high and I gained no power when pushing on the accelerator. I lost all speed in a matter of seconds and was forced to pull over. I was almost hit by another car as I was attempting to get out of the way. Steering became hard and it took more effort to break and slow the car. I turned the car off as soon as I came to rest. I attempted to restart the car and the car would not even turn over. I called a tow truck and had my car towed to Ford. They had the car for 4 days and replaced the transmission control module (tcm). The part was covered under the emissions warranty according to Ford. I was told the car was fixed and sent on my way. On March 24th the car broke down again. The car did the same thing as the first time and again almost caused a car accident in which serious injury could have resulted. I sat with the car turned off for approximately 5 minutes and then tried to restart the car. The car restarted on the 4th time. I called my local Ford and asked if it was safe to attempt to drive over, they said it was. They have now had the car for one week and are unable to locate an issue. I was given a loaner vehicle which they have now demanded they get back. I been told the process of Ford deciding what to do can take up to 2 months. I am no left with no car and Ford is claiming no responsibility and providing no customer service. Ford needs to fix this issue and refund those affected.

- Buellton, CA, USA

Mar 142013

Focus

During a tight turn on a bendy road going about 55 mph the vehicle lost all power. As if someone turned they key off. Lights, infotainment, steering, brakes, everything was effected. Luckily steering doesn't lockup on a Ford Focus. And can be steered but without power assist. Once at a complete stop, the car could be restarted with no instrument lights on, as if nothing happened.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

May 092012

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, a metal to metal rattling noise emitted outside of the vehicle. The transmission slipped gears and the vehicle began to vibrate with hesitation. The failure occurred sporadically when shifting into second gear. Additionally, when the brake pedal was depressed when driving on an incline the vehicle would roll. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice where each time the computer module was reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 152013

Focus

Shuttering and stalling upon acceleration.car tends to roll backwards for no apparent reason on slight incline. Speed acceleration and speed deceleration at random times. Car hesitates badly when accelerating on to on ramp to merge with interstate traffic or to pass a vehicle on the highway. It's luck of the day if you accelerate and actually live or get hit when car shutters and hesitates. Good luck Focus owners.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 272013

Focus 4-cyl

The transmission "skips, flutters or just not kick in" when moving from a stopped position to an accelerated speed. Seems like the transmission stalls out and then grabs. It does it quite often and I was almost rear-ended on several occasions so far by this hick-up in the transmission. I am going to take it back to baxter Ford in omaha and see if the problem can be fixed or not. They may get the car back.

- Milford, NE, USA

Apr 042012

Focus 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on March 21, 2012 and first took it into the dealership April 4, 2012 because the transmission boggs for the startup 0 to approximately 20 mph. This created a safety hazard when pulling into oncoming traffic because the vehicle had no power, especially when in a stopped position. Passing vehicles was unsafe if you were in the lower gears of the transmission due to lack of power. Another safety hazard is that the vehicle drifts backwards when I take my foot off of the gas pedal, as if it was a standard shift transmission. This was especially dangerous on a hill or a grade. This vehicle also drifts backwards when you put your vehicle in park and release the brake pedal, causing danger to pedestrian or vehicles behind you. I have taken this vehicle back numerous times since I have owned it for the same types of problems with the transmission (now at various speeds) and drifting backwards. The dealership has made numerous adjustments and changes to the transmission, but to date this vehicle basically remains, in my opinion, a safety hazard. To date, Ford company states that all of the above has a reason and states that it is "normal" for this new type of transmission. In my opinion, this transmission evolved to save gas, not lives.

- Mercer, PA, USA

Jan 312014

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus SE. The contact stated while driving, the car would violently shudder and shake, a grinding noise could be heard in the front of the vehicle and it stalled intermittently. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that the control module was defective and a new seal was installed. The dealer repaired the defect; however, a day after picking up her vehicle the failures persisted. While driving she also heard a "clucking" noise in the same place she previously heard the grinding noise. The vehicle was towed again back to the dealer who stated that they could not find any defects she "just have to get use to her vehicle". when the contact drove the vehicle home the transmission over warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000 miles. Updated 04/17/14 the consumer stated the transmission was replaced. However, the shudder continued. Updated 05/20/14

- Tarzana, CA, USA

Aug 202012

Focus 4-cyl

My car has almost gotten me in 3 accidents and it rolls back on hills I was pulling into a drive way and it started to roll back then it slowed down and there was a load noise and we started rolling backwards it was just a drive way. The car has absolutely no power at all it stutters and when you are driving in busy places and your car wont pick up enough ton enter on the highway or freeway its scary and its unsafe it will shake the whole car when it pulls back and stutters. It is awful and I went on a 3 hour drive to go on vacation I actually rented a car instead of taking my brand new car that I got to last me years fro now was the plan if it makes it another 1 year I will be surprised very dangerous Ford.

- Moreono Valley, CA, USA

Jan 102014

Focus

After about 30-45 mins of driving the car will begin to shudder going from 1st to 2nd gear. It occurs most noticeably driving from a stop. I have brought my car in numerous times and have been told numerous excuses. At this time it is getting annoying, however it becomes a concern when turning onto roads because it does not produce any power during this time. Its only a matter of time before a accident occurs because of this issue. There needs to be a recall on the transmission on the 2012 Ford Focus. Updated 03/25/14 also, an oil leak was found, the vehicle would shudder in reverse and it felt as though the traction control was engaging.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 292012

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated while traveling at various speeds, the vehicle began to shake. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 400. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 2/11/14

- Brewster, NY, USA