2012 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Aug 282016

Focus

The door latch on the front driver's side door is broken and will not allow the door to close. I cannot lock the car door or shut it. When I attempt to close the door it "pops" back open. The incident occurred while the vehicle was in motion on a city street while turning. I was driving and the door suddenly opened by itself when making a turn, due to the broken latch.

- Doral, FL, USA

Aug 252016

Focus

I was driving home from work, and the driver door latch failed. The door came open while the vehicle was in motion, and nearly caused an accident. The vehicle currently has about 49,000 miles on it. All schedule maintenance is up to date.

- Justin, TX, USA

Aug 192016

Focus

When I come to a stop....and then have to start up again...the car doesn't pick up the speed. It stutters and will not get moving for a bit. And then it does. Sometimes scary as I am turing into on coming traffic and can't get moving. This happens on city streets after stopping. On a few occasions it has happened while driving on the highway, like it has lost a connection.

- Lauderdale By The Sea, FL, USA

Focus

Left side rear door flew open on a turn, (surprised) pulled over to close door but it would not latch. I am now driving around with the door strapped closed. Went to a Ford dealer to get fixed but the cost is too high for me right now. Very dangerous and this is something that should not happen on a newer car.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Focus

We have had our 2012 Ford Focus for 3 years. In the last year, the door latch that keeps the door shut, has broken! the first incident happened June 2015. We were in a parking lot and our passenger tried to close her door (back left) and it wouldn't stay shut. Unfortunately, she had to hold the door until we made it home safely. We didn't think much of it at the time, we figured she'd probably slammed it too hard or got the seat belt stuck. We purchased the part for $120 and decided to fix it ourselves since the dealership was charging $600! fast forward to two days ago. We were on our way back home when my husband turned left and the back right door swung wide open! our 15 month old son was sitting in the back, and I frantically told my husband to pull over, thinking that maybe somehow he might've opened it- although his car seat rear faces and its physically impossible for him to have been able to reach the handle since his car seat is in the middle. We pulled over, and after multiple attempts to shut it, we finally realized what was going on.the latch had broken again, but this time on a different door! we contacted the dealership and they can't do anything because it's not on recall.they were anything but helpful or understanding! I don't get why this hasn't been taken care of because after going online, I have seen thousands of people with the same complaint about the exact vehicle! this is a huge safety hazard and should be dealt with immediately! how many incidents need to happen before it is resolved" does someone need to die" I shouldn't have to worry about this issue on a car that's only 4 years old! needless to say, my husband and I will no longer be buying a Ford ever again and will be getting rid of ours, as we do not feel that it is safe for our family. Nor do we want to stick around and have to pay for all four door latches, should they break again.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jun 102015

Focus

Since 1 month after buying this car every time I stop driving and start driving it hesitates. Sometimes when I stop it just keeps shaking. I never reported the issue because some people say it stops. It has been 1 year and 2 months and it has officially gotten worse. At times when I turn the car on it takes some time to start up. Can some one help me please

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Focus

Driver door won't close. Car was in motion when door just open. It will not close. Stay's ajar.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Aug 222016

Focus

Driver's door flew open almost hitting oncoming truck while driving my daughter to school. Ford dealer could not guarantee same day fix, local mechanic had to order part, entire door mechanism plus labor $450 and one missed day of work.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Aug 172016

Focus

The driver's side doors, both front and rear, flew open while I was driving on two separate occasions. The first time it happened affected the rear driver's side door. The passenger who was in the rear behind the driver almost fell out of the vehicle. Had it not been that I was driving on a residential road, this might have happened. The second incident affected the driver's door, and happened while I was operating the vehicle while accelerating to enter the freeway. Neither door latches shut, and I have had to resort to the use of bungee cords and cables to secure the doors. Obviously, this is a very unsafe condition that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. I called my local dealer and they told me that my Focus was not one of the units recalled, even though the problem is exactly the same as that experienced by Fusion, fiesta, and other Ford models. The first incident occurred on or about 8/3/16, and the second on 8/17/16.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 152016

Focus

2012 Ford Focus driver's side door will not latch. In order to keep the door closed I have to hold it or keep it tied down. Due to how unsafe it is, I can no longer operate this vehicle until the issue is resolved. The warning light does appear that the door is open while driving.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Aug 042016

Focus

Door lock stopped working while driving door opened on turn. Have to hold the door closed to drive or tie rope to door. Major safety hazard drivers door. VIN not in recall but fits all symptoms live in warm area in southtexas.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jul 202016

Focus

While going down the road my driverside door swung open. Once stopped I was unable to get the door to relatch to close. This was a couple months ago. The door is having to be held closed with a rope whilst I crawl through the passenger side door which is very difficult. Having 3 kids this is a very scary safely issue. The latch will cost 300-500 to fix. I feel like this is an error in the making of the vehicle and that Ford should fix the door latch at no cost.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Aug 142016

Focus

Driver side rear door will not latch. I was parked and opened my door from the inside got out and tried to shut the door and it will no longer latch or lock

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 102016

Focus

My 2012 Ford Focus drivers door latch is broken, this car has 36000 miles on it and Ford wants several hundred dollars to repair. I feel like this is a flaw in the car and should be covered by Ford. This happened while turning a corner.

- Royse City, TX, USA

Aug 122016

Focus

Vehicle in motion driving about 60-65mph on the highway, the check engine light turned on the dashboard. Vehicle could not accelerate felt as if on neutral. I began to lose speed and had the fortune no incoming vehicles were behind me. I shut the car off once on the side of the road. Vehicle after being off for 15 minutes was able to drive but reverse gear was none functional.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Jul 182016

Focus

The front driver side door latch broke and the door would not latch shut. I took the car to the dealer for repairs and paid $510.72

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 052016

Focus

On the passenger door, drivers side, I found the door open when I was walking to my car from work. I was fortunate that no one stole anything. I then discovered that the door would not shut. It did not look like a break in and I was informed by the mechanic that there is a problem with the door latch.the mechanic said the door latch was very poorly designed. I researched the problem and it seems this door latch problem is happening with other Ford as well. I consider this is safety issue because the door could have swung open when I was driving. I tried contacting Ford to discuss this problems but they have not been helpful. Apparently there are no recalls on this. Currently I am concerned if the other doors will have the same problem-door latch issue.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 092016

Focus

Car door lock broke driver side back door. This is the second door lock to break in a month. Assuming they will all go out.

- Llano, CA, USA

Jul 222016

Focus

Door latch broke. Door will not stay closed. Vehicle was stationary.

- Fortson, GA, USA

Aug 062016

Focus

Door latch on back side door has failed and I was told that my VIN number is not on recall list. While at home went to close back door and it would not close.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA