2012 Ford Focus steering problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 6 of 18)

Jun 022016

Focus

Cannot hardly turn the steering wheel at stop and when driving. Very dangerous when driving in busy highways. The error message came on says that the steering assist failure. I took it to honolulu Ford where I purchased the vehicle they said since my vehicle is out of warranty I have to pay for a rack and pinion system for $2500 dollars to fix it. Unacceptable from a major company.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 142016

Focus

Vehicle was parked and when started displayed the epas warning/service required message. No injuries since the vehicle was parked, but had the system gone out at speed it might have been a different story. Vehicle is driven by my 24 Y/O son, and his generation have no experience driving w/O power steering. Internet research has highlighted that this is a known issue, as well as a class action lawsuit filed against the manufacturer. Early repair cost estimates put the dollar value between $1500 and $2000.

- Mulvane, KS, USA

Jul 082016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While attempting to reverse the vehicle, the power steering failed without warning and the steering assist warning light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in a recall. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 09/20/16

- Willow Spring, NC, USA

Jul 012016

Focus

Power steering failure, causing the car to loose power steering while the car was in motion on a highway. The problem was intermittent and was initially resolved by restarting the car. However, a week after the problem first started (and less than 50 driving miles later), the car completely lost all power steering. This all started about a month after an update for a transmission recall. According the Ford dealership, a gear had broken in the steering column resulting in the failure. When discussing the issue with a mechanic at a different shop, he said that type of damage typically is the result of significant crash force. The car had not been in an accident. Barring an accident, the mechanic said that it was more likely the result of a defective part or component.

- Haddonfield, NJ, USA

Jul 092016

Focus

Electronic power steering assist failed several times at start up or low speed July 2016. Diagnosed as internal system failure of the steering rack program. The steering rack was replaced at $1900. Fortunately, I did not have highway speed failures before the error could be diagnosed and fixed. Steering is exceedingly more difficult than old "manual" steering without the power assist.

- Sudbury, MA, USA

Jun 172016

Focus

The steering wheel became very hard to turn while driving. After the car was turned off, it was still the same. $2000 for repair. Came back from the shop with a dead battery. Another $180. Money I don't have. 76,000 miles at failure.

- Grand Praire, TX, USA

Jul 032016

Focus

Drove car to store on way to work. Parked car came out to start vehicle. Panel lit up stated" steering assist fault. Turned car off remained the same message appeared. Called Ford Motor Company was told covered on the powertrain dealer says it will cost over $2000 that monies I don't have to spare,

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 062016

Focus

Turned my car on to take my son to school and immediately the "steering assist failure" alert came on. Tried turning the car off and back on but still the same alert. Took it to the dealer mins after and they informed me the rack and pinion would need to be replaced costing me over $2000!

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Jul 032016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving 35 mph, the power steering seized without warning and caused the contact to veer slightly off the road. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jun 292016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. When the vehicle was started, the steering wheel was difficult to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mt.Airy, MD, USA

Oct 292015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while making a turn, the steering malfunction warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact mentioned that after turning off the vehicle and restarting it, the vehicle resumed to normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tcm needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired, however, failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who stated that the steering column might need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,365.

- Angelica, NY, USA

Jun 162016

Focus

The electrical steering system stopped working in this car. The steering wheel became very heavy feeling, and was very difficult to steer. The vehicle was in motion on a city street when this first started.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jun 212016

Focus

Power steering has intermittently gone out on car. On June 21, 2016 the steering fault light came on while backing out of a parking place. The steering locked up, the fault light appeared and stated service was required. Dealership says computer recorded default message but Ford Motor Company will not authorize repairs unless the steering locks up, light and default message appears while in the dealership's possession. We have contacted Ford Motor Company and they refuse to take any action. I have filed a complaint and received a case number -cas9882100- as of June 22, 2016.

- Rocky Point, NC, USA

Jun 172016

Focus

While driving the electric steering assistance fault code showed up. I lost the power steering on the vehicle. The wheel was extremely hard to steer. I was able to limp it home. If this my wife or daughter driving when this happened, I'm not sure if they could have been able to control the car. Doing a search on this issue I found multiple complaints file on this issue. This is a extreme safety issue that needs to be addressed by Ford before someone is seriously hurt or killed if it hasn't happened already.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 212016

Focus

Steering wheels locks up and I get a message stating "steering assist fault". this is the second time in 2 weeks that the vehicle has done this when I started the car. The only way I have found to clear it is to stop the car and restart.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jun 152016

Focus

For three years from 2013 to current I reported my car having intermittent electrical issues where my power steering would just fail and my speedometer would cease to function this could happen while driving or stationary.... I reported this to Ford and over the course of three years had the issue inspected but they could not resolve the issue.. now the car is out of warranty but say it is due to faulty censors.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Feb 012016

Focus

My power steering started working only intermittently and has now completely stopped working. My car is necessary for my job and so I have no choice but to drive it this way. I have done research and found that Ford is aware of the problem and has recalled other models, but not the Focus. I have contacted Ford and was told that there is no recall for this on this model and that I would have to repair it at my expense.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 122016

Focus

On the 6/9/2016 and on the 6/12/2016 I went out to start my car, an indicator light comes on that say stirring assistant or system, it does it very fast, failure. Then the stirring wheel becomes impossible to turn. I couldn't leave my drive way.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 082016

Focus

On 6/82016 I was driving to work in the early morning, as I accelerated forward while turning the corner at a elementary school zone, a steering assist fault error message appeared on my instrument cluster. Then I lost all steering and I could not turn the wheel to avoid the small children and parents that were at the corner waiting for me to pass.I slammed on the brakes and avoided a life changing tragedy. I towed the car to santa margarita Ford who informed me that the electronic power steering box failed and the repair was going to be $1,895. I called Ford and talked to alex (case # tas-9779156-D5J4Q5) who took my report, checked and quickly returned with bad news that there was nothing they can do. I asked him if someone needed to die for Ford to take resposiblity for this unsafe system, but got no reply.

- Potrero, CA, USA

Jun 062016

Focus

Power steering fault service assistant

- Window Rock, AZ, USA