2012 Ford Focus steering problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Jan 012017

Focus

On several occasions, I have received notice that the electronic power-assisted steering (epas) system has a fault and that service would be required. The remedy, as provided in the manual, is to turn off the vehicle then restart the vehicle to reset the module. While I was fortunate that this had not occurred while driving, this is an extremely dangerous issue, particularly because the steering locks up when the fault occurs. Recently, the epas system notified me of a fault and it was not remedied upon restarting the vehicle. I have seen many complaints online about the same issue with the same model year and make, however, Ford has not provided a recall, as they did with the 2012 Fusion and flex. This issue needs to be addressed because it is clearly a manufacturing or design defect, wherein the consumer should not bear the cost of repair or replacement (up to $2000), especially given the recall on similar models from the same year.

- Forty Fort, PA, USA

Oct 102016

Focus

I had pulled out of the driveway into the street, and the power steering failed. It was very difficult to maneuver the vehicle back into the driveway. If this had happened on a busy street or highway, or while turning a corner, a loss of control would have been entirely possible.

- Independence, MO, USA

Dec 182016

Focus

Lost power steering to vehicle, unable to drive due to safety concerns. Transmission hesitates when driven or when gasing from a stop.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 122016

Focus 4-cyl

2012 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to steering control module recall repair issues, transmission problems and windshield motor malfunction. The consumer stated on the night of November 12, 2016, a safety warning light appeared on the dash. When he tried driving about 12 miles home, he had no power steering. The problem did not occur again. On Monday November 14, 2016 the consumer stopped by a non-Ford garage. No work was performed. However, the mechanic stated the problem was the steering control module. The mechanic suggested taking the vehicle to the dealer. Upon inspection, the dealer claimed there was no problem, but to bring the vehicle back, if the light came on again. The dealer informed the consumer three were no transmission problem. However, in March 2016, the consumer experienced a transmission problem. The dealer stated the problem was due to a weak battery. The problem occurred again and the dealer stated it was the fault of the alternator not sending enough current to the module. The problem continued. On July 4, 2016, the transmission light illuminated. The consumer used the off key procedure, to put the vehicle into gear, but the light remained on.

- Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA

Dec 282016

Focus

I have twice received an error when starting the car: "steering assist fault - service required" and I had no power steering whatsoever. The error was resolved both times by restarting the car, but I am very nervous that the fault will occur while the vehicle is in motion and will cause a crash. I've been seeing that this is a relatively common error in a range of Ford vehicles around this model year and hope that a recall will be issued soon.

- Marietta, PA, USA

Dec 212016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While the vehicle was in reverse, the steering assist fault warning indicator illuminated. As a result, greater effort was needed to operate the steering wheel. The vehicle was not restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Dec 112016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While backing out of a parking space, the steering wheel stiffened and failed. Also, the instrument panel lighting remained illuminated. The issue recurred multiple times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Mayfield Heights, OH, USA

Dec 122016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, where it was determined that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Oct 232016

Focus

Steering assist fault: At mileage 84209 the power steering suddenly stopped working. After completing research this is a known issue that Ford has not recalled. It stopped working at the gas pump, with some luck I was able to get to a parking spot and leave the car stranded until arranging for a tow truck. Ford would not reimburse the $2,000 expense to fix one of their known issues. Very fortunate no one was hurt. Very dissatisfied with the quality of work and customer service to remedy this known issue associated with a class action lawsuit www.aboutlawsuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014-06-27-complaint.pdf.

- Severn, MD, USA

Dec 112016

Focus

Power steering failed when backing out on the first incident along with an error message display. On second occasion, when starting the car, the same error message regarding the steering was displayed. Turning the engine off and then back on seemed to get the car operational.

- Mayfield Heights, OH, USA

Dec 152016

Focus

Started my car this morning and immediately my "steering requires assist" alert came on and I found I had no power steering. My car showed no signs of any issue when I parked it last night 12/14/16 around 7pm but when I went to leave for work at 12/15/16 at 5:30am the alert came on. I had my car towed to the dealer and dealer has informed me that 1) a car with less than 70K needs the entire steering column replaced to the tune of $2000 and 2) that this failure is so commonplace they stock the steering assembly for this repair. I'm just thankful I wasn't commuting on the interstate when this occurred whereas many others were not.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 132016

Focus

I could handle the studder and handle the being held hostage by my seat belt, but now I have to pay $1,800 to get my steering fix after almost hitting a tree with my family in the car. I was just about to upgrade to a escape, I will never buy Ford again after this because I have 89000 on my car they will help with nothing. Nor do they care about the safety of me and my family or the other people around me ! I have never been so disappointed. I truly loved this little car until it tried to kill me.

- Penfield, NY, USA

Dec 062016

Focus

Started car and steering wheel froze - power steering completely incapacitated. Error notification displayed "steering assist fault." I turned the car off and when I restarted it was gone. This also happened a year ago and now again intermittently. This is a safety hazard that has been reported by many others. Ford needs to recall these models before a serious event happens.

- El Cerrito, CA, USA

Nov 172016

Focus

I was turning into my apt complex powe sterling went out light said malfunctions powe steering. I was trying to control hit a pole. Seat belt tighten around my neck. I had just had a procedure did two weeks pryor injection in my neck went to doctor he told me I was so informed he could not tell gave me five different mess I go C him on 8th Dec should been back sooner I have no car in shop no money get it out.

- Humble, TX, USA

Nov 262016

Focus

At 49000 miles got " service power steering now " light and steering was locked up at start of car. Has happened 4 times in 8 days at start up of car. Restarting fixes steering but afraid problem will escalate and cause accident or worse...please investigate before someone is hurt or killed from loss of control of steering.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 252016

Focus

Driving at night on county road approx 25-30 mph dry pavement went to turn the wheel of the car to follow the road and there was no response from the steering wheel or the brakes. Car went off the road headed for a tree. Went into ditch before steering became available again. In investigating this issue on my own prior to taking to dealer. I have found this to be an issue and even a noted investigation listed or awareness of the highway safety administration. I can tell you there was absolutely zero control of this car at that time. These cars are very dangerous on many levels as they have multiple defective parts. Just call jim O'neal in sellersburg Indiana as they have all the records of showing they have almost rebuilt my entire car since I bought new in 2012. Upon being evaluated and driven, with this occurring to the the technician as well at jim O'neal Ford, it was found that the entire steering component had failed and needed to be replaced. Ford is aware of this concern as there have been 2 bulletins sent to their dealership service departments. Documented in research if you look and also told to me verbally by mike albright the service manager at jim O'neal Ford. At no time in the many visits to the repair shop at Ford has anyone mentioned the fact that this could possibly occur or has there been any preventive checks of the system. I really would like this investigated as I do see I am not the only one that has had this issue and was just lucky enough to have not had a serious accident with my children in the car during this latest failure in this car. Ford should be held accountable for producing and not upholding their end of this car as people are being seriously injured.

- Otisco, IN, USA

Nov 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Awendaw, SC, USA

Nov 302016

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving 2 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Athens, GA, USA

Dec 022016

Focus

On Friday, 12/2/16, when pulling out of on-street parking space, warning "steering assist fault service required" came on, and I completely lost steering control. Turned off car, then turned on again, with same warning. Called Ford dealer, was told they couldn't do anything till Monday. Had to call tow. After 20 minutes, I tried car again, and everything was fine. I am afraid to drive, especially if my steering goes out again.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 302016

Focus

I started getting this on screen error "steering assist malfunction" a couple of months ago, but it would disappear after a few minutes. Today when I went to start the car the message appeared only this time it stayed. I turned the car off and back on and still had the issue. I had to drive my children to school with no power steering. I'm filing the complaint because after searching the entire day it turns out this is a pretty common issue with the 2012 Ford Focus. Some dealers lie and say they have "never seen it before." They charge on average $1700 to repair it. They recalled several other Ford models from 2012, but not this one. They should have. Had I already been driving with my children when this went out I would have wrecked. Had I not driven an older car that doesn't have power steering I probably wouldn't have known what to do or how to react. This is a dangerous issue and Ford needs to take responsibility for the problem.

- Monroe, TN, USA