Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus suspension problems

suspension problem

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jun 072016

We had to have the front suspension repaired 3 times in the first 5,000 miles. There was a major knocking sound and you could feel movement in the steering wheel when the car was transistioning over a speed bump or into a driveway. Right after this was fixed, after the third replacement of the same parts, the transmission had to be repaired 4 times, 3 times the clutch pack failed which happened regularly every 10,000-12,500 miles. The car would jerk violently during start of moving and then the clutch would slip while driving at speed. The clutch pack was replaced 3 times. The last time the transmission just failed to shift into any gear, forward or reverse, this happened while the car was moving in a parking lot. We are afraid this will happen driving on the street, through an intersection, getting on or driving on a freeway. The dealer looked at it, they said the onboard computer showed a failure code, they reset the code and then stated there was no porblem. When asked why the part that the failure code said was bad was not replaced the dealer stated that there was no problem and just drive the car. If it fails again have the car towed in and they will check again.

- San Jacinto, CA, USA

Feb 202016

My vehicle lost all power in regards to acceleration and deceleration on the freeway at the speed of around 40-45 mph. I had to coast over two lanes and almost got rear-ended. The RPM would rev up but no power. Restarted car and problem went away. Next day had tcm flashed as part of recall. Two days later had the same issue only going 60-65 on freeway. Transmission went haywire and had to coast over and almost got rear-ended again. This time car wouldn't restart for about 2 min. No power. Engine revving and complete loss of power twice and I feel this car is a major accident waiting to happen. I do not feel safe while driving not knowing why my car is losing power even after the so called software fix.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 022015

Purchased new and within 40,000 miles the clutch has failed two times and the transmission module has failed once and has had to be reprogrammed twice. The suspension makes loud noises on the front end whenever you hit any bump. I feel unsafe driving this car because it can lose the ability to accelerate at any time without warning.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Aug 282015

Excessive shuddering/shaking upon acceleration, vehicle does not seem to have any power. On 8/28 I was stopped at light in drive and vehicle would not move, after changing gears I finally was able to drive it, a short time later vehicle would not move again in drive but the engine light came on, on the way to the dealership vehicle lost power and would only go 15 mph crawled to the dealer with emergency flashers. Dealer had the vehicle for 5 days and completed the software update program 15B22, since receiving the vehicle back I am still experiencing low power and shuddering. Have been rear ended tapped once because it doesn't have any power, very concerned to drive vehicle to to loss of power and excessive shuddering. Contacted Ford customer care and they did not have a sense of any long term fix to this issue nor does the dealership. Dealer states they are slammed with these vehicles every day.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Nov 262013

I purchased the car used with 25,000 miles, shortly after the car began shuddering very badly and did not accelerate correctly. The problem progressed to a loud metal grinding noise, the clutch was deemed to be bad and replaced. Six months after the clutch failed again and was replaced and now a year later the clutch needs to be replaced again, making it the fourth clutch for a car with under 70,000 miles. Ford has extended the warranty so it is covered however the part is on back order for 4-6 weeks. Ford does not offer a replacement vehicle during this time. I do not feel safe driving this car with the transmission not working properly. This car also had the steering and suspension repaired within the first year of ownership.

- Derry, NH, USA

Jan 042013

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus at my local dealership (5 miles on it); brand new. Within 6 months I had it in the shop 2 times. At the time my husband was an employee of that dealership and they gave him the run around. Indicating all they had to do was reset the computer. Supposedly they reset the computer twice however it never fixed the problem. Once it was diagnosed on the 3rd attempt at the local dealership that it needed "parts" I was given the run around by that dealership. After contacting Ford Motor Company on several attempts I finally received a response. I had to beg Ford for a rental car so that I had transportation for the week that the dealership had my car.once the vehicle was fixed and I picked it up; I noticed a really rough idle. After dealing with this for this for several months; the dealership had me bring it back in and had it for another week to fix the idle problem. As of today; it is still not running right. I am taking it back in on Friday to have it looked at once again as the entire front of the car shakes and the dealership indicated it "sounds like the transmission." Not only does it shake and rattle; it clicks at times and jerks/shudders forward. I have on numerous occasions contacted Ford Motor Company and have asked everything from buying the vehicle back and once and for all fixing the problem and get nothing but the run around. Today I my vehicle was taken back into the dealership and I was told that it needs another new clutch and they are backordered. Your Agency needs to do something about these Ford and the Ford Motor Company before it causes a fatality. The way the car lurches forward and shudders; this could cause an accident or someone could get hit by this. Please help Ford owners !! recall these vehicles.

- Arroyo Grande , CA, USA

Sep 222014

I purchased this Ford on Sept 22, 12... it had 83 miles on it.. I am the only owner. Since then its been in the dealer for service over 10 times. I am on my (3)third clutch system to stop the shutter and loud noises it makes. The last clutch was installed on Sept 23, 14. And after a week its back to its same jerking/shutters and the noise is loud when you make turns. Its really nice when I try to get a buyer to test drive it. I pray it does not make a noise during the test drive. And, the front shock suspension made crunching noises at low speeds on un-even road surface. (like driving in and out of drive way and in parking lots). And, the way to fix the front suspension.... the Ford service tighten the front end down. And. Believe me you feel every impact of the bumps. Ford put out a paper that the service people gave us the 1st time we when it. The car needs to learn your driving patterns. And the most resent one is the car might drive like a manual/standard car- with jerks.. and make noise. This is the transmission. This would be nice to have this info. Handed to me before I purchased the auto and then I could make a good choice is this purchase. But the information was given to me when I had issues with the Ford. Any, buyer read other drivers comments. And, if you really like to buy the Ford Focus. Get the manual one. It has no.... issues because you shifting manual transmission. And not have the issues with this auto clutch. And, the 2013 to 2014 have the same issues as the 2012. Ford just can't get the problems fixed or they don't want to correct the issues on the Focus..

- Powell, OH, USA

Jun 082014

Focus 4-cyl

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus less than a year ago and have had trouble ever since. I have had my car in repaired once for the transmission issues accelerating and coasting. My car is shaking and hesitating with any type of acceleration. The car is making a clunking noise when driving, turning corners and braking. I am beyond disappointed with the quality of the 2012 Focus. I dropped my car off at the dealer and wanted it looked asap. I also contacted Ford directly about my concerns, they informed me about the dual clutch transmission as a reason for the drive (an excuse I have heard numerous times from the dealer). After a couple days the service department called to let me know they had looked it over and everything seemed fine. They later test drove it and he informed me that everything looks great and that the way my car is driving is just the way these Focus' drive due to the double clutch transmission. He informed me that it tends to drive the way I was describing if people have a "light foot", if I would drive with a "heavier foot" or "accelerate faster" it most likely wouldn't have these issues. When I brought up the instance where the car shook and made a large clunk when I turned it off, he stated that it was probably a "fluke". it is very discouraging that I am told that this is just how the Focus vehicles are going to be. I emailed Ford about the results and have not heard back. I picked up my car and it still drives jerky and the clunking noise is even louder. I dropped it off with 40,618 miles and picked it up with 40,630 miles. I think it is frustrating that it is deemed as a standard drive with a 12 mile trip. I am disappointed that I am expected to hit the gas harder to hopefully have a somewhat less jerky drive... not sure how to do that in parking lots and neighborhoods. I do not feel that I have a safe quality vehicle and don't know what to do next.

- Andover, MN, USA

Apr 032014

Focus 4-cyl

We had a problem with Ford Motor Company over our 2012 Ford Focus. As background, while my wife was driving 40 mph on a straight road the car steering locked and pulled her into a curb causing a broken wheel, rim, and tie rod (estimated at $1500 to repair by bob tomes Ford in mckinney Texas). After the car setting at the dealership waiting for word from Ford's corporate office for seven weeks we just found out they are not taking responsibility for this issue. It's pretty incredible to me that it took Ford seven weeks to respond while I made two car payments and paid for insurance throughout that time without a car. We had found through research on the web that many people are reporting steering problems on the 2012 Ford's Focus. For your information we do not feel safe with this car and are asking bob tomes Ford to help us resolve the issue locally since Ford has not offered any help.

- Fairview, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Focus 4-cyl

This is an ongoing problem!!!! my vehicle vibrates when trying to accelerate from a complete stop. It hesitates and does not want to accelerate and it appears to not want to shift gears. Does the same thing at low speeds as well.when pulling of from a stop position sounds like a rattling or something making a cranking noise. Also car stalls at times. Taking off from stop sign car stalls when gas is pressed. My car rolls back when taking off from an incline and a flat surface.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 302012

Focus 4-cyl

Since the purchase of the vehicle, the transmission rattles, shakes, loud bang, stutters. I took it to buena park Ford where I purchased it from, they said it's adaptive learning and will be ok after 2000mi. Still had issues took it to my local cerritos Ford dealer, they could not fault a defect. Took it back to cerritos Ford, they replaced the clutch assembly, was a little better but got worse after driving a few thousand mi. I took it back to the dealer, they confirmed defect and did resets of the transmission and stated good for now. Again a little better but slowly now worse than ever. I took it back to cerritos Ford today, the service rep would not even listen to me, just kept saying it's normal, he did not even want to check and confirm my complaint, just kept saying they are educating their customers on the Focus and fiesta's transmission. I told him it's not normal and safe, to just at least look into my complaint put it in writing if you thing it's normal. Each of the last four times they did confirmed and tried to fix the defect. I am worried as the car was for my daughter who will be driving in a few months. I find it very unsafe as it stutters jerks and does different things and you can't determine what it will do next. They replaced the left strut was ok for a few weeks, then I took it back and they replaced the right front strut. I told the rep it's really loud now enough for him to clearly hear it. He tried to tell me the noise is part of the transmission and it's normal. I explained to him it's over bumps and to at least test drive it. He said he is trying to help me and does not want me to have the car not available to me for use. I told him I don't care how long it takes I just need the car fixed. Today is mon which I did make an appointment for, he said he will call me on fri. I think I am just being played around and the car is a lemon. Please help.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Oct 112013

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the tires had worn prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Auburn, GA, USA

Jun 042012

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle vibrates on road at highway and non-highway road as well. Feels like front-end will fall off. Clunking and vibration from front-end. Multiple service attempts from Ford dealers and multiple front suspension service repairs; however, problem remains. Test drove 3 brand new same vehicles at dealerships and all do the same.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Aug 162013

When driving home I heard a loud pop noise, the steering became hard to control and when I made a slow right hand turn the right front tire fell off the car. Apple Ford is trying to tell me I hit something. I would know if I hit something and for me to hit something that large I would have seen it, if there was a large pot hole I would have seen it... there is no body damage to the front end bumper of my car.. I just had the transmission replaced in this car, the sync module had to be replace since I had it.. the tow truck driver that picked up my car even said he had just picked up a 2013 Ford Fusion that had the exact same problem.. and the dealerships are telling people they are hitting something!!!!!

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 062012

Focus 4-cyl

Transmission shudders had it fixed twice front end want stay lined up have purchase three set of tires eating my tiers up had it lined up three times sick of this car it a lemon.

- Highpoint, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Focus 4-cyl

I bought the 2012 Ford Focus sel on November 18th 2011 and first recall was Jan 02 2012 they reprogrammed the transmission and there was a 2nd recall and the reprogrammed the transmission again but im still having hesitation on startups and loses power as well but hasn't stalled yet but I thought few times it will stall out but it didn't. I hope Ford can fix the hesitation of this vehicle but if not then I will never buy a Ford again. Also the suspension is very hard on bumps. Feels like there is no shocks on the car. Very disappointed on my front windshield. Cracked when I only had 15,000 miles on the car.

- Clawson , MI, USA

Jul 112012

Focus 4-cyl

The trunk lid is out of alignment the vehicle shudders at acceleration major suspension work required do to engineering and production engine shudders and clunks when shutting off rough idle and engine misses. Problems are inconsistent.

- Berryville, VA, USA