Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 092015

The drivers door came unlatched and opened while vehicle was turning. 2013 Ford Focus was checked out by Ford dealer and said there has been recalls on other Ford latch problems but none on this vehicle, although it has a similar latch as the fiesta and Fusion, luckily my son had his seat belt on or he would have been thrown out of the vehicle.this is a major safety issue that needs to be fixed. The door can just unlatch at any time due to a faulty spring mechanism.

- San Tan Valley , AZ, USA

Jul 252015

I was making a right hand turn and the drivers side door on my 2 year old Ford Focus flew open. It almost hit an oncoming car causing an accident. Now the dow will not close at all.

- Coachella , CA, USA

Jun 182015

When closing front passenger door closes, door latch will not keep door securely closed. Door will open on the slightest push and will open when turning vehicle. If passenger is not wearing seat belt or if seat belt is not fully pensioned, a passenger may fall from moving vehicle. Engaging door lock will not secure door. With lock engaged door will still open without release door latch. Door latch will not engage.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

May 272015

During normal operation of the drivers side door, all of a sudden the door will no longer stay shut. The latch to hold the door close would no longer latch in place, so you could pull the door open without any force. We had to tie the door closed in order to get the vehicle into the dealership for service.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Dec 052013

Focus 4-cyl

I was entering a car port that has a slight 2 degree downward slope to the front of the car port. The vehicle's engine seemed to accelerate slightly while depressing the brake and go through the car port front overhang. The current driving conditions adequate (the weather -very cold, snowing but carport was clear underneath) before and since the repair the transmission seems to hesitate to engage momentarily on deceleration and acceleration operations.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Apr 302014

Focus 4-cyl

I was going to pick up my wife from work as usual. I am a very safe driver especially around corners. I was not driving more that15 mph when the car accelerated by itself. To avoid hitting a parked car I had to turn the steering wheel to the right. I went up on the driveway area. I hit a concrete wall portion or a driveway. Totaled the entire front right. Axle is broken. Air bag never deployed. Several months back they had to put in a brand new transmission. The car is just now 1 year old. It could not go up hills, park up hills. Transmission would turn off. Now it accelerated on it's own. My wife told me from the beginning this car is a lemon. I liked it so did not want to believe it! now I have to. I am still stiff all over. I have reported this to Ford auto body and my dealer. I hope they will be honest about all this. I do not feel I should be marked badly by my insurance or have my premium go up when this is not my fault. I hope Ford will at least help me out with a new replacement car for this lemon they sold me! now they will put through a claim on my insurance to repair the damage done to the wall. I hope my insurance premium will not go up. I should not have to held responsible for this when Ford has known about this problem for years and has many complaints. This I was not even aware of!

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 212013

Focus 4-cyl

Driving into work one morning, I was following behind another vehicle at a low rate of speed, almost to a stop when I then turned into a parking spot, pushed the gas pedal and the vehicle did not accelerate so I then pushed the gas pedal again and the vehicle surged forward at a much faster speed than usual and the vehicle slammed into the wall of the parking structure in the space I was attempting to park in. On other occasions before this, I had experienced hesitation while pressing down on the gas pedal but nothing like what happened the morning that the vehicle surged forward, hitting the cement wall in the parking structure.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Dec 202012

This is a copy of complaint sent to Ford... "the hood on my one month old Focus has popped four (4) times. Today I brought it in to my dealer (rt 23 auto mall, butler, NJ) and was told there was nothing wrong with the car. It "may" be my foot activating the hood latch. If my foot can open the car hood, you have a serious design problem. (which we already know from the other design issues the Focus has). This is a safety issue!!! Ford should remove all Focus' from the road immediately. My dealer agreed and gave me a loaner. They will be contacting you Monday to resolve this issue. If I was able to test drive the Focus for more than an hour, I probably (definitely) would not have purchased it. I had convinced myself to buy an american made car, but I was wrong!"

- Lake Hiawatha, NJ, USA