Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 042016

As I was driving this morning my door flew open and would not shut back closed, I checked the latch and sure enough it would not latch close nor lock, I had to tie my door shut the other side of the car for it to remain shut, thankfully a car did not hit my door when it flew open while driving, this is very dangerous for me an my kids! I am fed up with Ford and there recalls! I called Ford service after I found out it is a recall to get fixed immediately but the service man stated they wont have have the part till the beginning of 2017 what am I suppose to do until than!!!! this is ridiculous never again will I purchase another Ford !!!!

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 142016

I did a complaint before on my door latch driver side malfunctioned and won't stay closed. I am doing another complaint because now the passenger door latch has malfunctioned. This vehicle is a 2013 and the door latches should not be malfunction this way. I had to pay out of my pocket to repair the first one now the second is damaged. I need the dealership to fix this problem as nobody contacted me to fix my problem the first time. At this point I am against Ford now and will not buy or recommend anyone I come I contact with to buy the Ford brand ever again. My name is lee chenea my phone number is 4422425702 my email is I own a 2013 Ford Focus and had many unsafe problems occur. Two door latches malfunction door will not stay closed. Fuel tank replaced cause of the capless system creating vacuum sucktion and damaging engine. When is enough enough with this vehicle. Worst investment I have made in my life.

- Joshua Tree, CA, USA

Aug 162016

My wife and I were out for the day, stopped to have lunch. When she got out and shut the door it would not latch, the latch had broken inside and wouldn't stay shut. Had to tie the door shut to get it home. Very dangerous situation, luckily it happened when we were stopped and didn't come open when we were in motion.

- Custer, KY, USA

Sep 062016

Passenger side rear door opened while vehicle was underway and leaving my driveway. Will not close or latch. Latch moves smoothly by hand, but does dot catch and latch against frame mounted piece, nor does it move when door handle is operated.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Aug 192016

Driver side front door latch failed, causing door to not stay closed. Full range of motion of door is not hampered; door can be closed fully, however door opens with no effort, even when lock is enabled.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Aug 182016

I parked the car and removed some belongings from the back seat, tried to shut the door and lock the car when I noticed the car was not locking due a door being ajar. The back passenger door latch would not latch shut, I tried to manually engage and disengage the child lock in addition to locking and unlocking the car several times while the door was being held shut and also open. The door has to be held shut with a rope tied to the headrest. The recall that Ford has out about the back door latch does not involve my VIN so I can't get an answer about it from them.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 162016

Driver's door won't latch. Had to drive to dealer while holding door closed. Opened while making turn, door almost hit car in opposite direction waiting for light.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 132016

Passenger door latch broke door flew open while driving in parking lot. Now it will not close.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 132016

Door won't latch. The driver door latch is broken. The door will not stay closed. There is a recall from Ford about the latch. I cannot find the recall number, but here is a link to a media report from Ford. Https:// however, they state that they will not repair my car because I live in Tennessee which is not one of the states listed on the recall. Only certain states "with higher ambient temperatures and solar loading" are on the recall list. Oregon and Washington are on this list. Are those states really hotter than Tennessee?

- Millington, TN, USA

Aug 112016

Door latch assembly broke and will not latch or engage to keep door closed. Was stationary sitting in the parking lot for approximately 9 hours. Temp outside that day was 99 F. opened the door to place my work bag in back seat and door would not close (or latch) after. Active recall for the same type of car describing same problem, however my car is not involved yet.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Aug 122016

The door latch system went out while I was driving about 5 mph and made a turn into a parking spot and my vehicle door flew open almost causing me to have an accident. I know that this issue is effecting other Ford vehicles but the dealership will only repair this if I pay out of pocket. Vehicle is currently at the dealership due to the safety factor of door not latching.

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

Aug 122016

The driver door won't stay closed. I have to hold the car shut while driving and it's very unsafe. I was told by yucca valley Ford the repair is around 500$. this car is still new and shouldn't have this safety concern at this time.

- Joshua Tree, CA, USA

Aug 092016

The driver door opened when the latch failed. Took to Ford dealer and they acknowledged they have had problems with the latches failing. The vehicle was parked I unlocked with electronic key and the door then failed to latch shut

- Milton, FL, USA

Jul 202016

After entering car, the driver front door would not latch. There was no prior indication of any malfunction with the door latch. Driver door required to be bungee corded in order to drive vehicle to Ford dealership. The door latch was replaced by Ford at a cost on $697 to owner.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Aug 012016

While driving through town... canton, Texas. The drivers side rear door latch failed and the door flew open when turning right. My 85 year old mother was sitting next to the door, in a seat-belt thank god. I pulled over and tried closing the door several times. It would not catch on the striker. Using a screwdriver, I found the latch had no tension on it and would not hold the the door striker. I put my mother in the front seat and had my son hold the door closed for the 15 mile trip home. I called 3 Ford dealers to find the part is on back-order. The price is a whopping $273 + tax + another $100 to put it in. Had my mother not been belted in, this could have killed her. Had there been another car close, it would have made for a nasty accident. I know this is not a one off, freek failure. My wife is now driving around with the door tied shut

- Edgewood, TX, USA

Jul 192016

This is my second complaint that IżM filing on your website as I have not heard anything from my first complaint. I am currently experiencing a door latch problem with my 2013 Ford Focus. Please read and review the attached document which describes the problems I've been having and what has been done so far. I tried to paste it here, but it's too long for this form.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jul 182016

A light came on while we were driving saying that my front passenger door was open. Since we were coming to a stop, it thankfully did not fly open and cause an accident, but it easily could have. I attempted to close it repeatedly and it would not latch. I was forced to hold the door closed until we could pull over. Upon closer inspection, we realized that the door latch was actually broken and would have to be taken to the dealership. Despite there being recalls on several Ford vehicles for the same exact problem, Ford is refusing to recall the Focus (they actually told me that it had never happened to the 2013 model before.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jul 172016

My 2013 Ford Focus was parked in my driveway. I got in and closed the door. I didn't notice anything wrong. I started the car and started to drive out of my driveway, but my car informed me that my driver side door was not closed. I pushed on the door (without pulling the latch) and the door opened. I tried several times to close the door, locking and unlocking the doors, but the door would not latch.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Jul 162016

Driving down the road 20 mph when the front passenger door out to close door and it will not close.latch does not catch.had to tie door closed to drive back home 3 miles.I found on this site that Ford Fusion, Lincoln mkz and Ford fiesta have similar problems and have been recalled for repair.happened on a Saturday and made an appointment with Ford dealer for Monday.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 152016

Drivers door will not latch

- Phoenix, AZ, USA